id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Cannot sleep with cpap after 5 motnhs
FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:32 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

DavidTre
Unread post  Post subject: Cannot sleep with cpap after 5 motnhs  |  Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:55 am

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Auto
Pressure Setting: 5-6

Hi guys,

So I have been trying to sleep with CPAP for 5 months now. I started with a Resmed Airsense 10 Auto and a Resmed F30 full face mask.

The first week was great with many +4h night, but then it started bothering me a lot and I was removing it during my sleep.

Then I switched to the Resmed P10 nasal pillow and I started getting some sleep again, but struggling to hit the 4 hour mark since I remove the mask during my sleep.

Also, many times I wake up and feel like I cannot breathe properly through the mask and have to remove it. My nose gets easily clogged even when using a rinse before bed.

These are the stats for a good day (5h)

And these are the stats for a normal day:

Thanks a lot in advance, I really do not know what to do anymore I tried lots of different masks, using them during the day, nose rinse,...

DavidTre
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Cannot sleep with cpap after 5 motnhs  |  Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:24 am

Bump! Please any help is appreciated

Respirator99
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Cannot sleep with cpap after 5 motnhs  |  Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:02 am

PAP Mask: Resmed Airtouch F20
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 CS Pacewave ASV
Pressure Setting: Min EPAP: 8.0 Max EPAP: 11.0 PS Min: 3.0 PS Max: 8.0

Hi David, welcome to the forum.

The first thing to say is that it's not at all unusual to have difficulty sleeping with CPAP - most people have trouble at first and sometimes it recurs over a long period. But let's be optimistic and look at ways you can get things sorted sooner rather than later.

Could I ask you to reformat your charts please? The useful information is being swamped by the extraneous. Oscar gives us far more data that we really need. Have a look at the link on "Organising your charts" below.

I do notice that a lot of your mask-off events coincide with periods of leakage. Although the conventional wisdom is that Resmed machines can happily deal with leaks up to 24 L/min, the fact is that even a small leak can disturb your sleep - especially if the air blows in your eyes or causes "face farts". So I think working on the leaks is probably your main action to do at present.

Selecting the most suitable mask and adjusting it properly is a big issue, and one of the hardest things to get right. Again, common wisdom would direct you towards a nasal pillows mask such as your P10. But not everybody gets value from them - personally I can't stand the things. You have a fair range on hand, so try them in turn, again, and pay particular attention to controlling leak and being comfortable. You night find that some soft cloth padding between the mask and your skin will help. Likewise, make sure you cleanse your face to remove any skin oil prior to bed time, and also consider running a razor over your face to remove any stubble. Or try a mask liner such as Pad-a-cheek.

* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* Organise your Oscar charts

DeltaBravo3.8
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Cannot sleep with cpap after 5 motnhs  |  Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:57 pm

PAP Mask: F&P Vitera & Simplus, ResMed F20 N/P30i & old Amara View
PAP Machine: Required to start over on ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet.
Humidifier: HumidAir and Heated hose
Pressure Setting: Auto PAP 7-14, EPR full time 3

Here's one thing that I'll highlight that directly addresses your mask removal that I believe it's based on not enough air.

You're using EPR 3 and that's great but one problem. EPR 3 is not compatible with Min pressure of 5.x. Reset your minimum to 7. As is you're cheating yourself from realizing the EPR magic. It's a math thing BTW. Your PAP can only go as low as 4, so your Min. Pressure 5.x minus EPR 3 would equal 2.x but no PAP goes to 2. You want EPR 3, you must start at least at min 7. So do that, change your pressure from 5 to 7, and take your high number to 12. Let's see how that works. You're not giving yourself much air with these very low numbers, so try this edit and show us standard OSCAR not zoomed, always have events on top. Then the flow rate, leak, pressure, flow limits.

https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Help
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Chart_Organization

DavidTre
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Cannot sleep with cpap after 5 motnhs  |  Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:18 pm

Respirator99 wrote:
Hi David, welcome to the forum.

The first thing to say is that it's not at all unusual to have difficulty sleeping with CPAP - most people have trouble at first and sometimes it recurs over a long period. But let's be optimistic and look at ways you can get things sorted sooner rather than later.

Could I ask you to reformat your charts please? The useful information is being swamped by the extraneous. Oscar gives us far more data that we really need. Have a look at the link on "Organising your charts" below.

I do notice that a lot of your mask-off events coincide with periods of leakage. Although the conventional wisdom is that Resmed machines can happily deal with leaks up to 24 L/min, the fact is that even a small leak can disturb your sleep - especially if the air blows in your eyes or causes "face farts". So I think working on the leaks is probably your main action to do at present.

Selecting the most suitable mask and adjusting it properly is a big issue, and one of the hardest things to get right. Again, common wisdom would direct you towards a nasal pillows mask such as your P10. But not everybody gets value from them - personally I can't stand the things. You have a fair range on hand, so try them in turn, again, and pay particular attention to controlling leak and being comfortable. You night find that some soft cloth padding between the mask and your skin will help. Likewise, make sure you cleanse your face to remove any skin oil prior to bed time, and also consider running a razor over your face to remove any stubble. Or try a mask liner such as Pad-a-cheek.

Thanks for the answer! I do not have access to OSCAR as of now but will fix the charts later!

I see that the leakage thing is true, but I never noticed it happening... Could it be mouth leak?

DavidTre
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Cannot sleep with cpap after 5 motnhs  |  Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:19 pm

DeltaBravo3.8 wrote:
Here's one thing that I'll highlight that directly addresses your mask removal that I believe it's based on not enough air.

You're using EPR 3 and that's great but one problem. EPR 3 is not compatible with Min pressure of 5.x. Reset your minimum to 7. As is you're cheating yourself from realizing the EPR magic. It's a math thing BTW. Your PAP can only go as low as 4, so your Min. Pressure 5.x minus EPR 3 would equal 2.x but no PAP goes to 2. You want EPR 3, you must start at least at min 7. So do that, change your pressure from 5 to 7, and take your high number to 12. Let's see how that works. You're not giving yourself much air with these very low numbers, so try this edit and show us standard OSCAR not zoomed, always have events on top. Then the flow rate, leak, pressure, flow limits.

Will update the chart with proper formatting later sorry!

But will try what you said about the pressure and see how it goes! Thanks a lot

DeltaBravo3.8
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Cannot sleep with cpap after 5 motnhs  |  Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:01 pm

PAP Mask: F&P Vitera & Simplus, ResMed F20 N/P30i & old Amara View
PAP Machine: Required to start over on ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet.
Humidifier: HumidAir and Heated hose
Pressure Setting: Auto PAP 7-14, EPR full time 3

Nothing to be sorry about. Most of us PAP users need trial and error. Unfortunate but docs and DME suppliers don't participate in our trial and error learning. Every single PAP user is a unique experience and they don't work with us as is necessary. They'd rather cookie cutter the PAP therapy and it's always ending in failure of some sort. You be the sponge and soak up the advice of others like myself and you'll run circles around the doc info.

https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Help
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Chart_Organization