id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Need Help Driving Consistency Each Night
FAQ
It is currently Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:41 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

STL_John
Unread post  Post subject: Need Help Driving Consistency Each Night  |  Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:17 am

PAP Mask: Resmed N20
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10
Humidifier: Resmed Airsense 10 humidifier
Pressure Setting: Currently 7.6 to 9.0

Hi,
I've watched many of LankyLefty's videos and have read through a number of posts here so I thought I'd reach out for possible assistance.

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about a year ago through an online company that sells CPAP equipment. Due to having to change insurance companies this year, I chose to go the online route to speed up the process. Their home test showed that I had about 21 RDI events/hr, an AHI event # of 19.4/hr, and a minimum oxygen desaturation % of 71 although my average was 93. Concerning to me was the fact that my HR averaged 77BPM and had a max of 111BPM which seemed high for a sleeping state. I did consult with a doctor who was on the insurance I had at the time and he said he could tell I had sleep apnea just by the symptoms that my wife and I gave him but they weren't going to be able to send me a sleep study kit until after the new year and I'd be on different insurance.

For reference, I'm 6'3" and about 220# with about a 17.25" neck. I'm athletic but could probably lose 10-15# of bodyfat.

But, a year later and I'm struggling to get a full night of restful sleep and somewhat regret using an online firm since they weren't much help after my CPAP purchase.

I do have an appointment next week with a local RMD for an in-person mask fitting which may solve a majority of my issues (I hope!).

Currently, I am using a Resmed N20 nasal mask. I have tried the memory foam version but it seems to exacerbate leakage (the silicone version leaves red marks on the bridge of my nose). I also have the Resmed P10 but it seems to irritate my nostrils even if I use Lanolin (I had sinus surgery in 2008 and they fixed a deviated septum and reduced my nostril size a little).

Based on LankyLefty's videos, I have made the following changes to my CPAP equipment:
1. Turned off EPAP
2. On the screenshot, I had reduced pressures to a min of 7.6 and a Max of about 12.4 trying to account for the 95% figure I was getting off the machine. Last night, I went further and reduced the pressure to a more static range of 7.6 to 8.4 and did get a little more constant sleep (unfortunately, I forgot to put the SD card back in the reader after uploading OSCAR!)
3. I typically tape my mouth shut. I tried Somniflex but currently use LL's reco of the mesh surgical tape (I use a Somniflex backer as a guide to cut the mesh tape and maybe that isn't large enough?)
4. This week, I also bought a soft cervical collar and have tried that the past couple of nights with some success (I'll probably opt for a full mask next week which is why I got the collar)
5. I do use heated humidity

The graph shows serious leakage and lots of disruptions in flow rate even though the event flags are low.

Is it probably as simple as just finding a mask that fits better or is there something else I could try? I know I've been dealing with apnea for years so I don't expect overnight success but I am frustrated that a year after buying the equipment I'm not having more restful sleep. Thanks for any insights and let me know if I've left out a detail that could help you help me!

Attachments:
Sleep Data Screenshot.PNG
Sleep Data Screenshot.PNG [ 103.66 KiB | Viewed 506 times ]
Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Need Help Driving Consistency Each Night  |  Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:11 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

What makes you say that you aren't having "more restful sleep"?
Exactly what symptoms are you having that you wished you didn't have?
Are you waking often during the night? Any idea why?
Does it take you a while to go to sleep or fall back to sleep?
Do you take any medications of any kind? If so, what?
Do you have any other physical or mental health issues that might impact your sleep quality or how you feel during the day?
Do you drink alcohol within 3 or 4 hours of bedtime?
Do those leaks wake you up?
The report above....did you tape your mouth that night?

STL_John
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Need Help Driving Consistency Each Night  |  Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:28 am

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay. I wanted to get a few more days of data to share with the group. And, I realized I asked the wrong question (or wasn't as specific as I should have been) but I'll answer your questions also.

The real question: What changes can I make to consistently get 6+ hours of CPAP usage a night? Maybe it is as simple as solving leakages but even the night that had the best leak profile only saw me wearing the mask for 4+ hours.

The night with the least amount of leakage reported was the night I used the memory foam N20 combined with mouth tape and a cervical collar. But, I remember waking up after 4 hours and ripping everything off and going back to sleep.

When I've watched LankyLefty's videos on ramp times and the reason to use static pressure, he talks about "crap" sleep. So, Friday night, looks like I had about 3:30 hours of decent sleep with some leakage and then probably 5 hours of "crap" sleep because I wasn't on CPAP. Sat/Sun/Mon were similar in regards to the amount of time I actually kept the CPAP on.

I'm planning on talking with the local RMD this afternoon about a full face mask hoping to cure the leaking issues.

Answers to your questions:
What makes you say that you aren't having "more restful sleep"? I tend to rip the CPAP off after a couple hours so something is disturbing my sleep. Often, I don't even realize I've taken it off until the morning when I wake up and see it laying on the floor and then I look at the usage stats.
Exactly what symptoms are you having that you wished you didn't have? Waking up tired in the morning with some brain fog
Are you waking often during the night? Any idea why? Not usually. At least not that I'm aware of. When I do occasionally wake up, I typically have no problem falling back to sleep
Does it take you a while to go to sleep or fall back to sleep? Sometimes it takes a little while falling asleep but if I wake up I can usually fall back to sleep quickly
Do you take any medications of any kind? If so, what? No. I tend to try to use nutrition and supplements rather than meds. In the past, like after my Mom's death, I've used .25mg of Xanax or Tylenol PM to help get to sleep. I know Tylenol PM can linger and cause sleepiness after waking up
Do you have any other physical or mental health issues that might impact your sleep quality or how you feel during the day? Not really. Generally very healthy. Get blood checked every 6 months. I do take Vit D3/K2 daily, multi-vitamin, and C (always in the morning because D3 can impact your sleep if taken late in day)
Do you drink alcohol within 3 or 4 hours of bedtime? Rarely if ever. I don't drink much at all anymore. If I do have a drink it is one beer or mixed drink at happy hour which would be about 5 hours before bed. I just don't drink at home and don't drink if I'm out and driving (just getting smarter about that in my older age)
Do those leaks wake you up? I'm assuming the leaks are what is causing the issue. As I said, I really don't remember waking up typically but then the stats show I'll only have the mask on for a few hours. It's possible the vent on the N20 is hitting blankets and blowing back on me and irritating me without me knowing.
The report above....did you tape your mouth that night? That was a day to pick but "no" I did not tape that night. I've included the past 4 nights as a PDF with notations at the top of each page regarding type of mask, tape, cervical collar, etc.

Attachments:
JED Sleep Info Comparison.pdf [396.35 KiB]
Downloaded 29 times
STL_John
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Need Help Driving Consistency Each Night  |  Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:38 pm

Tried adding the screenshots from the prior 4 days in case the full pdf file doesn't transfer for people. Hope this helps make it easier to see the data.

Attachments:
File comment: Dec 6 screenshot
Dec 6.PNG
Dec 6.PNG [ 264.05 KiB | Viewed 407 times ]
File comment: Dec 5 screenshot
Dec 5.PNG
Dec 5.PNG [ 259.23 KiB | Viewed 407 times ]
File comment: Dec 4 screenshot
Dec 4.PNG
Dec 4.PNG [ 273.5 KiB | Viewed 407 times ]
File comment: Dec 3 screenshot
Dec 3.PNG
Dec 3.PNG [ 267.15 KiB | Viewed 407 times ]
STL_John
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Need Help Driving Consistency Each Night  |  Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:40 am

Quick Update:

Visited with my local RMD company and purchased the Resmed Airfit F30 full mask that fits under the nose and over the mouth. It fit well in the office and I liked the relatively minimal design for a full mask. The first 5 hours of sleep last night were restless and I was getting a lot of leaking. BUT...I woke up around 4 and put the soft cervical collar on and the attached screenshot shows almost no leakage and fairly restful sleep outside one CA which did measure right at 10 secs. So, it appears that possibly the full mask with a cervical collar is the answer I have been searching for. One night does not make a trend but I'm hopeful. Thanks to everyone who viewed my previous posts and maybe this info will help someone else.

Attachments:
Dec 7 Best Hour.PNG
Dec 7 Best Hour.PNG [ 38.26 KiB | Viewed 380 times ]