id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - new user - New CPAP user - question to this AHI value?
FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:54 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

Boomie
Unread post  Post subject: new user - New CPAP user - question to this AHI value?  |  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:52 am

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit N20
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet
Pressure Setting: 5 - 10

G'day everybody, new here, brought over from Justins YouTube channel (Great btw)

I have been in treatment about 6 months, trying to read and catch up on this whole thing with Apnea (New to me)

There is one thing I simply cannot get to compute for me: It's this AHI value!, in short;
In Wikipedia there is a definition, this value is calculated and given in whole numbers, and its grouped so that e.g. a value over 30=Severe apnea.

Been using the Resmed machine that connects to "myair" web, works great actually, but the value provided for "events per hour" does not correlate AT ALL to this AHI value? I assume this value is not actually related to the AHI?
If its not, then what is it, and how could it be used for anything? E.g. Today this value is 0.46, most days its like that, but... what does that tell me?
When I look at the data in "resScan", same thing as "Myair", the AHI value is always with 2 decimals, and always below 1.00?
Today I installed this OSCAR software, it gives a lot more data than the ResScan, but again the same understanding "problem" for me, none-correlatable value for events or AHI(Or what I suppose is events per hour or night or sleep session)

Why are none of these applications simply calculating and providing the AHI, i.e. the events divided by hours of sleep, and provide that figure? (Or is this calculation for AHI useless?)

Could somebody enlighten me a bit please?

Cheers
Mike

Attachments:
File comment: Todays OSCAR
Oscar screenshot-20210623-152528.png
Oscar screenshot-20210623-152528.png [ 93.37 KiB | Viewed 522 times ]
LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: new user - New CPAP user - question to this AHI value?  |  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:20 pm

PAP Mask: F & P Simplus
PAP Machine: Airsense 10 Autoset
Pressure Setting: 12-20

AHI = Number of events per hours wearing the mask....You slept 8.9 hours and had about 4 events. 8.9 . 4/8,9 = .46

Respirator99
Unread post  Post subject: Re: new user - New CPAP user - question to this AHI value?  |  Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:44 am

PAP Mask: Resmed Airtouch F20
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 CS Pacewave ASV
Pressure Setting: Min EPAP: 8.0 Max EPAP: 11.0 PS Min: 3.0 PS Max: 8.0

G'day Boomie

Yes, AHI is the total number of events (apneas + hypopneas) divided by the time the machine was on. If you're always seeing an AHI under 1, then you're doing very well.

Don't be confused by the untreated results that are used to define how "severe" your apnea is (eg severe apnea = AHI > 30). Once you put that mask on, your AHI should drop right down below 5. Consistently below 1.00 is a very good result.

* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* Organise your Oscar charts