Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Stroke Symptoms/Hospital - Feeling like I'm not getting air.
FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:02 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

misdaph
Unread post  Post subject: Stroke Symptoms/Hospital - Feeling like I'm not getting air.  |  Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:31 pm

I have been trying to use my CPAP for years. I have stopped using it for the past 6 months because it makes me absolutely miserable. When i have used it in the past, I felt like I couldn't breathe and had nightmares of dying in my sleep because of no air. Doctors kept telling me it was anxiety and would go away. My husband recently said my snoring was unbearable so i thought I would give the CPAP another go.

On 10/5 at 3:30 AM (sleep date 10/4) I woke up feeling as if my brain wasn't getting oxygen. I had stroke symptoms and was unable to talk, walk, or communicate. I was rushed to the hospital where they did an MRI, CAT scan, bloodwork, and found NOTHING wrong. 12 hours after admission i was totally fine. I kept having a feeling my breathing machine was killing me. My doctor told me NOT using the breathing machine would kill me. So, I tried again. What usually happens is that I wear it for an hour or two, wake up gasping for air, and take the mask off, and go back to sleep. Last night, I woke up with same feeling of dying. I couldn't breathe and was completely confused.

My CPAP doctor advised me to turn my pressure DOWN. This is confusing to me. I feel like I can't get enough air and he's turning the settings down?? I'm at such a loss and don't know what to do.

I have very little data, but I've attached the little bit that I have.

Here are the instructions the provider gave me to change my settings,

"Now, "Mode" should be highlighted at the top of the menu screen. Turn the knob until "Min APAP" is highlighted, then press the knob button - this will allow you to adjust the setting. It should currently be set at 5.0 - turn the knob until it reads 7.0, then confirm the change by pressing the knob button once more.

Next, we need you to make sure the Reslex option is turned to patient. This feature enables the device to automatically detect the patient's respiratory rhythm and reduce pressure in the mask during expiration, so as to make the patient more comfortable. Only when the Reslex option is set to “Patient”, the option will appear in the Patient Menu. If this option is set to “Off” or “1 ~ 3”, it will not appear in the Patient Menu. Turn the Dial to change the setting of this option. The default setting is “Off. Dr. Krainin would like you to adjust the Reslex option to 3."

Attachments:
File comment: Compliance report.
apnea.jpg
apnea.jpg [ 85.62 KiB | Viewed 118 times ]
misdaph
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Stroke Symptoms/Hospital - Feeling like I'm not getting   |  Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:33 pm

This is the machine that I have:
https://singularsleep.com/collections/c ... a-autocpap