Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Hypopnea
FAQ
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:15 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

tobysam
  Unread post  Post subject: Hypopnea  |  Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:29 am

Hypopnea is overly shallow breathing or an abnormally low respiratory rate. Hypopnea is defined by some to be less severe than apnea (the complete cessation of breathing), while other researchers have discovered hypopnea to have a "similar if not indistinguishable impact" on the negative outcomes of sleep breathing disorders. In sleep clinics, obstructive sleep apnea syndrome or obstructive sleep apnea–hypopnea syndrome is normally diagnosed based on the frequent presence of apneas and/or hypopneas rather than differentiating between the two phenomena. Hypopnea is typically defined by a decreased amount of air movement into the lungs and can cause oxygen levels in the blood to drop. It commonly is due to partial obstruction of the upper airway.

Hypopnea during sleep is classed as a sleep disorder. With moderate to severe hypopnea, sleep is disturbed such that patients may get a full night's sleep but still not feel rested because they did not get the right kind of sleep. The disruption in breathing causes a drop in blood oxygen level, which may in turn disrupt the stages of sleep.

My problem is I've tried nasal spray, splints and a few CPAP machine (some second hand and a new UK hospital one) but I have had little to no improvements.. so okish day and some bad days.

I've seen GPs in Australia and the UK, sleep technicians and two consultants at the hospital (one set up the sleep clinic in UK) but they all say me condition is mild and they basically have no idea what is causing this... :(

I would really appreciate and help in understating whats is causing or Ideally reducing my hypopneas!

my sleep study results:

Respiratory
AHI = 6.7
Apnoeas
obstructive = 0
Mixed = 0
Central = 1
Longest = 10 sec
Hyponeas = 47
Longest = 53 sec

Oximetry
Baseline awake = 95%
Average NREM SP02 = 94.7%
Average REM SP02 = 94.6%
Average 02 Saturation = 3%
Nadir SP02 = 88%

Heart rate
high = 101
low = 44
average = 58.3

My AHI goes up to over 12 in REM:
There were 19 hyponeas during REM and 29 During NREM, so including the 1 central there was total of 49 and 45 arousal's in total. (although I think I would normally sleep a little longer)

I have a few allergies and had asthma as a teen for a short period, but
(otherwise fit healthy, bloods test, weight non smoker/drinker all ok.. oh and I don't drink caffeine)
Currently trying a few basic breathing exercises.

I know my AHI is mild, and I'll admit I dont fall asleep everyday, but I'm really struggling to get functioning and would really appreciate any help in working out what is causing these hyponeas!

THANKS FOR READING!

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Hypopnea  |  Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:14 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

The same thing causing your hyponeas is what causes OAs....airway tissues sag into the airway and restrict the air flow.
They don't sag bad enough to totally block the air flow but they pinch off the air flow enough that you can't move enough air to rest/sleep well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gie2dhqP2c

tobysam
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Hypopnea  |  Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:02 am

Thanks I've actually seem that before, but because of my lack of snoring the cpap not helping I don't think it's anything in my throat.

My sleep apnea doctor said he would be very interested in the mechanism as it's not something he has seen before.