Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Looking for nose pillow advice
FAQ
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:35 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

Hook
Unread post  Post subject: Looking for nose pillow advice  |  Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:39 pm

Hello,

I have been a BiPAP user for 18+ years and have always used the Ultra Mirage mask. I'm a quadriplegic and don't have use of my arms or legs and at times the mask can put pressure on the bridge and upper part of my nose, which seems to limit airflow.

Because of this, I would like to try mask that uses nose pillows and I'd like to hear some suggestions about which mask people would recommend. The nose pillow masks that has the tubing on the top of the head, will not work for me because I have to use a chin strap to hold my mouth closed at night.

So far, the only mask that I know about that might work is the Fisher & Paykel Brevida. Do people have opinions about this mask? Are there other similar masks that might be worth checking out?

Also, if it makes a difference, my pressure settings that I use are 18/8. Is it possible that a pressure this high might limit my choices?

Thanks!

WSHenry
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Looking for nose pillow advice  |  Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:50 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed Airfit P10 or PR Dreamwear
PAP Machine: PR DreamStation Auto CPAP
Humidifier: PR DreamStation Humidifier
Pressure Setting: 6-15 cm H2O

Hook,

The Brevida will certainly work at those pressures. I've tried, mostly without much success to adapt to it. It puts pressure on my nares and I sometimes lose a seal. It's a highly individual thing, though.

My main "go-to" mask is a ResMed P10. The fit is great, and it is comfortable. I alternate this on a weekly basis with a PR DreamWear nasal mask. That give my nasal passages a rest. Both seem to seal equally well and I can wear them for 8-9 hours without a problem.

Again, it's a matter of finding, by experimentation, what works best for you.

Best wishes for fining equipment that works for you.!

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Looking for nose pillow advice  |  Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:31 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

The F & P Brevida will work and so will the ResMed Swift FX nasal pillow and the ResMed P10 nasal pillow mask.

The P10 doesn't have clips or velcro that need to be adjusted.
That's both good and bad. It's all elastic and sometimes it is either too snug or too loose. So less fiddling with it is needed for the most part when it comes to fitting and sealing.

Hook
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Looking for nose pillow advice  |  Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:16 pm

Thanks guys!