Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - First Night and I have some ??'s
FAQ
It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:26 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

jdbrown1998
Unread post  Post subject: First Night and I have some ??'s  |  Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:03 am

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit ™ F30 Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear
PAP Machine: Respironics DreamStation Pro CPAP
Humidifier: built in one for dreamstation (heated)
Pressure Setting: 4-20

Hello,

I had my first night on the CPAP last night. I have a couple of questions for everyone:

Profile: DreamStation Auto CPAP Machine with range set from 4 to 20 to start out with (has heated humidification) and Philips Respironics Amara View Full Face Mask.

So my questions:

1) I woke up with dry mouth a couple times. I increased the humidification from 3 to 5 - seemed to help a little. There was less water in the morning in the tank Is this normal? I did the mask fit and it was at 100% and the app said I had a good fit all night.

2) My jaw hurts. The mask was not on too tight but my jaw feels sore - like I was clenching it all night. I normally am a loud snorer and a mouth breather at night so not sure if this is normal?

3) My cheeks would tend to puff out from the pressure. Is this normal? I woke up a couple times during the night and the pressure was at 18-19 and I couldn't get to sleep without my cheeks puffing out so I turned it off and then on to reset the pressure ramp. Was that the right move?

4) Anything I should do differently tonight? I woke up three times and after 4 hours last night took it off so I could get 3 hours of uninterrupted sleep last night.

Thanks

-JDB

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: First Night and I have some ??'s  |  Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:44 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

1.....water consumption is affected by ambient humidity along with the humidity selected. So with an increase in selected humidity you will expect more water to be consumed. So less water remaining is normal.

2....jaw discomfort not normal.

3...yes, the right move. You are experiencing what we call chipmunk cheeks and while we can open our mouths and equalize things...until you learn how to keep the back door closed so the air doesn't even enter your mouth....it will repeat at those pressures. So starting lower again gives you a better chance of keeping that back door closed.

4...try not to get in the habit of removing the mask and sleeping the rest of the night without cpap.
That's a really bad habit to start and bad habits are notoriously hard to break.
Instead try to figure out what it is or was about the mask that caused the wake ups in the first place and try to prevent whatever it was.

And sometimes it is just the brain waking us up to say "hey dude, do you know you have an alien plastered to your face blowing air up your nose?" kind of thing. Took me quite a while for the brain to come to grips with its new best friend....and I had zero issues with my mask.