Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Full face mask hybrid ??
FAQ
It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:38 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

loosingmyhair
Unread post  Post subject: Full face mask hybrid ??  |  Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:37 am

PAP Mask: Still trying to find right Hybrid
PAP Machine: Respironics Dream station Auto bipap DSX700T11
Humidifier: Heated Humidifier with heated tube
Pressure Setting: Honestly don't know but will probably need adjusting.

I am currently using InnoMed/RespCare Hybrid Full Face CPAP Mask with Nasal Pillows and Headgear for two days now and the mask seals 100% but the nasal pillow are really chaffing my nostrils and they feel sore when I wake up, one nostril chaff so much it must have bled a little last night and has formed a scab. I kinda think it's because of the inhale to exhale it is rubbing the nasal just right with every breath. I will try and see if I can loosen it tonight but feel like it's really not that tight on me.

My question is using the Philips Respironics DreamWear Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear being I am a side sleeper have any of you gotten a good seal and no chaffing during the night on your nose? Because I am a side sleeper will I collapse the tubes as I sleep on my side and do the magnetic clips stay attached really well and not break off from the pillow? Current mask clips are annoying but I'm cool with it because they stay secured all night.

Thanks

loosingmyhair
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Full face mask hybrid ??  |  Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:30 pm

loosingmyhair wrote:
I am currently using InnoMed/RespCare Hybrid Full Face CPAP Mask with Nasal Pillows and Headgear for two days now and the mask seals 100% but the nasal pillow are really chaffing my nostrils and they feel sore when I wake up, one nostril chaff so much it must have bled a little last night and has formed a scab. I kinda think it's because of the inhale to exhale it is rubbing the nasal just right with every breath. I will try and see if I can loosen it tonight but feel like it's really not that tight on me.

My question is using the Philips Respironics DreamWear Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear being I am a side sleeper have any of you gotten a good seal and no chaffing during the night on your nose? Because I am a side sleeper will I collapse the tubes as I sleep on my side and do the magnetic clips stay attached really well and not break off from the pillow? Current mask clips are annoying but I'm cool with it because they stay secured all night.

Thanks

I gotta add these as well
ResMed AirFit™ F30 Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear-Medium - by ResMed
Amara View Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear-Medium - by Philips Respironics

After seeing another video I doubt the ( Philips Respironics DreamWear Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear ) will be worth a darn for side sleepers.
My biggest problem with current mask is the dam nasal pillows chaffing the nostrils raw, so out of these two brands I have just posted has anyone had leaking issues and chaffing? I think these two are probably my best bet to try next.

SkinnyFemale
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Full face mask hybrid ??  |  Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:34 pm

PAP Mask: Dreamwear Nasal Cushion
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Auto
Pressure Setting: Currently pressure 7 to 12

Try dreamwear nasal cushion, simple headgear and doesn't stick inside inside your nostrils. Air comes just below. Very comfortable and very effective for me. Tube attaches above my head. Good luck! Sleep gear (of all things) should not be causing pain. I am a back sleeper but you can turn on your side with it. Good luck.

TheFlyinDutchman
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Full face mask hybrid ??  |  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:58 am

PAP Mask: Dreamwear nasal cushion
PAP Machine: Phillips Respironics Dreamstation APAP
Humidifier: Yep
Pressure Setting: 8-20

I had a hard time keeping a seal with the DreamWear FFM. There doesn't seem to be enough stability under the bottom lip. The bed pillow keeps pushing it off to the side.

The nasal cushion works for me on the side. You might get the irritation on the bottom of the septum(?) instead of around the nostril. For chafing I use a little bit of diaper cream. I put a small bit on after I wake up. Leave it on while getting ready for work and make sure I wipe it off before I leave. If it's really bad I'll put another bit on when I get home and leave it on longer.

dtn
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Full face mask hybrid ??  |  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:38 am

PAP Mask: DreamWear FFM
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Auto
Humidifier: Yes
Pressure Setting: 14-18 cmH2O

I just posted my dreamwear ffm success story on another thread. I have had good success with it, good seal, and am a side sleeper. That said I modified the mask because I had problems with chaffing and pain under nose.

SkinnyFemale
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Full face mask hybrid ??  |  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:26 pm

PAP Mask: Dreamwear Nasal Cushion
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Auto
Pressure Setting: Currently pressure 7 to 12

I think a lot of it is your face shape. I tried 4 or 5 full face masks and could never get a seal right. The dreamwear nasal cushion I use now keeps an adequate seal. Sometimes I have some mouth breathing but usually not enough to affect my score. If it wakes me up, I try to use my chin pillow (which feels hot so I tend to not use it long), and have my head elevated a bit.

loosingmyhair
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Full face mask hybrid ??  |  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:49 pm

dtn wrote:
I just posted my dreamwear ffm success story on another thread. I have had good success with it, good seal, and am a side sleeper. That said I modified the mask because I had problems with chaffing and pain under nose.

DTN what forum did you post on I'd like to read about your mask. I switch to the large nasal pillows last night and while i kinda feel there to big I kinda felt like they weren't irritating my nostrils. I was using the size medium on this full face mask/hybrid. What I realized is the way they made the medium injection nasal pillows there is these two ruff edges from the factory which i tried sanding one down last night but didn't seem to be enough so i switch to the Large nasal pillow. I will sleep again with it tonight and see what happens but a few times I still woke up in the night as I am still getting use to all this but seemed like maybe i just needed the large. Still not quite convinced here if the large pillows did the trick.

I had a deviated septum fixed when I was 16 along with a little plastic surgery so I was thinking maybe the little bit of left over scar tissue is what's being irritated but fingers crossed the Large pillows will do the trick.

Thanks for sharing

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Full face mask hybrid ??  |  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:40 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

loosingmyhair wrote:
DTN what forum did you post on I'd like to read about your mask.

This forum...just another thread he created

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4989

dtn
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Full face mask hybrid ??  |  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:29 pm

Thanks Pugsy

@loosingmyhair- pugsy linked my post.

I tried / have the F30 and I wanted the F30 to work, and while it didn’t chaff it exerted pressure under my nose such that it hurt worse than the dreamwear ffm. Based on the f30 design, I felt like it could be more comfortable than the dreamwear ffm (it has larger / more silicon area), altho I wasn’t able to make it so. My problem was similar with the f30- pain under the nose. I haven’t tried the same modification on the f30 to cut off some silicon in the under nose area which I did on the dreamwear ffm because I prefer the top of head hose attachment and the f30 always performed worse with my beard.

In any event- several posters here inspired me, including pugsy and Jason’s videos. Each person will have their own experience with a mask. I took that advice to heart and bought a small army of masks and decided to carefully and incrementally try new things to see if something would work.

Good luck,

loosingmyhair
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Full face mask hybrid ??  |  Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:15 am

dtn wrote:
Thanks Pugsy

I tried / have the F30 and I wanted the F30 to work, and while it didn’t chaff it exerted pressure under my nose such that it hurt worse than the dreamwear ffm. Based on the f30 design, I felt like it could be more comfortable than the dreamwear ffm (it has larger / more silicon area), altho I wasn’t able to make it so. My problem was similar with the f30- pain under the nose. I haven’t tried the same modification on the f30 to cut off some silicon in the under nose area which I did on the dreamwear ffm because I prefer the top of head hose attachment and the f30 always performed worse with my beard.

In any event- several posters here inspired me, including pugsy and Jason’s videos. Each person will have their own experience with a mask. I took that advice to heart and bought a small army of masks and decided to carefully and incrementally try new things to see if something would work.

Good luck,

When you sleep on your side you don't have an issue with squeezing and block air off from one of the tubes that run along the side of your face do you??
I may order up this mask, while I slept pretty good last night this left nostril I think is still an issue.

Thanks

theoak
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Full face mask hybrid ??  |  Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:48 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed F30, DreamWear Nasal Pillow
PAP Machine: ResMed AutoSet 10
Humidifier: ResMed AutoSet 10
Pressure Setting: APAP 6-10

If you are using nasals there is always the ResMed AirFit N30i or P30i.

The N30i nose fit is similar to the F30. Considering you did not have success with the F30 I am thinking the N30i probably will not work for you.

The P30i is like the DreamWear Gel Pillow, minus the Gel. However, I found the DreamWear Gel Pillow to hurt my nose. The P30i fit and did not hurt my nose at all.

The N30i and P30i are interchangeable.

dtn
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Full face mask hybrid ??  |  Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:23 pm

loosingmyhair wrote:

When you sleep on your side you don't have an issue with squeezing and block air off from one of the tubes that run along the side of your face do you??
I may order up this mask, while I slept pretty good last night this left nostril I think is still an issue.

Thanks

In my experience, I don't detect a pressure drop at 14 cmH2O pressure when I lay on my side, which is to say no I don't have an issue with squeezing and blocking off the tubes. I don't do anything special to prevent it. The mask is supposed to work fine while crushing one side because it has 2 tubes. Jason did a youtube video about what the pressure drop might be with the dreamwear and the dreamwear ffm, and if I recall he found a possible minor pressure drop with the dreamwear ffm at higher pressures. I personally don't happen to notice anything laying on my sides (which I do 90% of the time) vs on my back.

TheFlyinDutchman
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Full face mask hybrid ??  |  Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:08 am

PAP Mask: Dreamwear nasal cushion
PAP Machine: Phillips Respironics Dreamstation APAP
Humidifier: Yep
Pressure Setting: 8-20

loosingmyhair wrote:
dtn wrote:
Thanks Pugsy

Good luck,

Thanks

Squeezing the tube shouldn't be an issue. I don't have any issue (with nasal cushion) and didn't have any with the FFM (only as a backup for allergy season).

The magnetic clips were fine as well.

loosingmyhair
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Full face mask hybrid ??  |  Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:29 pm

I just ordered the dreamwear FFM so hopefully will get it soon to try out. I used the little scaling chart and ordered a medium and will just have to see if it works. I to have no problem at all modifying some thing if it will work for me. I personally love the innoMed/RespCare Hybrid Full Face except for that one little stupid left nasal pillow hahaha guess it was the plastic surgeons fault haha I really like the silicone lip that helps hold my jaw closed but time will tell if it's a real problem or not with the new mask. For the heck of it I tried a nasal pillow from resmed mirage swift my mother gave me. i clearly realize the full face mask seems to be easier to breath, I don't know if it's just because the mask or the tube is bigger or if it's just less restricted and just keeps the FFM more charged up with air. I also don't have a issue with my ears clogging up, the FFM seems to keep the pressure cleared in my ears.

Thanks again for showing the pictures of your mask I like that idea.

loosingmyhair
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Full face mask hybrid ??  |  Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:57 pm

Heres a few embarrassing pictures but not sure if this is the correct size for me or not with the dream wear FFM... I just got it in a Medium for the mask nasal part and a medium on the headgear or they may call it the frame part where the tubes are. I hooked it to my machine and feel like I have to get it kinda tight because i feel some leakage around the left outer nostril part of my nose. What do you all think does it look like it's kinda the right size for my nose?? It really does feel alot more comfortable to wear wear around the nasal area but I could see possibly modifying it like DTN did but want to hold off. As I upload the pictures you will see the sizing chart I am all the way into the Medium possibly a spec into the Large size. It's still a pretty big German nose even after the plastic surgery years ago LOL
I do find I have to get my nose center just right for it to NOT leak but question if I should go to a large? I will be be trying it out for the first time tonight and see how it goes.

Attachments:
IMG_4166.jpeg
IMG_4166.jpeg [ 144.25 KiB | Viewed 44 times ]
IMG_4165.jpeg
IMG_4165.jpeg [ 808.96 KiB | Viewed 45 times ]
IMG_4161.jpeg
IMG_4161.jpeg [ 870.03 KiB | Viewed 45 times ]
IMG_4153.jpeg
IMG_4153.jpeg [ 773.99 KiB | Viewed 45 times ]