Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Usual practice? Overnight oximetry to get sleep study
FAQ
It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 8:46 pm

Click this Affiliate Link to Support FreeCPAPAdvice when buying from Amazon. Easiest way to support us!

Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

bige1030
Unread post  Post subject: Usual practice? Overnight oximetry to get sleep study  |  Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:20 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed AirTouch F20
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet
Humidifier: Built into machine
Pressure Setting: 12-17 EPR 3

Just wondering if what I went through to get my diagnosis is a usual practice. When I asked my primary care physician (PCP) about the possibility of having sleep apnea, we went through sleepiness and me sometimes noticing myself snort myself awake and being told I snore. I am obese and have high blood pressure. Classic sleep apnea case, right? Well, instead of sending me right away for a sleep study, my PCP wanted me to do an overnight oximetry to see if I needed it. Of course, I "failed" with flying colors and was referred for a sleep study within 2 hours of turning in the oximeter.

My question: Is it a usual practice for overnight oximetry to be used to determine who needs a sleep study like it was with me?

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Usual practice? Overnight oximetry to get sleep study  |  Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:17 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

bige1030 wrote:
I am obese and have high blood pressure. Classic sleep apnea case, right?

In the old way of thinking, sure.

These days, OSA is for anybody, not just fat old men.

bige1030 wrote:
Well, instead of sending me right away for a sleep study, my PCP wanted me to do an overnight oximetry to see if I needed it. Of course, I "failed" with flying colors and was referred for a sleep study within 2 hours of turning in the oximeter.

My question: Is it a usual practice for overnight oximetry to be used to determine who needs a sleep study like it was with me?

It's a cheap screening method of dubious utility, since it can't rule out OSA.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Usual practice? Overnight oximetry to get sleep study  |  Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:12 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Going by oxygen levels alone doesn't mean that there is no OSA.
I have a friend with OSA...60 plus events per hour and she had an in lab sleep study which includes the pulse ox thing.
Her oxygen levels never really dropped all that much...the lowest it went to was 94% from a baseline of 96 or 97%.
People don't always have a massive drop in O2 levels with OSA.

So the pulse ox can only tell a person if the O2 levels drop and it might be OSA....it can't tell you there is no OSA though...all it might say is the O2 levels don't drop much and that doesn't necessarily mean no OSA.