Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Fitbit sleep graph coincides with Sleepyhead...fyi
FAQ
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:59 pm

Click this Affiliate Link to Support FreeCPAPAdvice when buying from Amazon. Easiest way to support us!

Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

GordK
Unread post  Post subject: Fitbit sleep graph coincides with Sleepyhead...fyi  |  Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:39 am

PAP Mask: AirFit F10 Full Face
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Elite
Humidifier: The built in hardware
Pressure Setting: Max 13, Min 11, EPR 2

Good Morning,
I am approaching one year on CPAP and have been on a mission to keep my AHI readings as low as possible. I recently adjusted my AirSense 10 Elite to Min 10, Max 13 and EPR @ 2. I got my first ever 0.00 AHI the first night at these settings. I thought I broke something! MyAir displayed the same thing and all the graphs in Sleepyhead looked normal except no AHI's.
I occasionally compare the sleep graph on my Fitbit to the Sleepyhead graphs more to follow REM periods and always found some coincidence based on that. This morning I discovered a close relationship between two clustered OA's and a period of being awake on the Fitbit. I almost wanted to discount those two OA's due to all the SWJ appearing around the two events. Interesting info to see and compare. In this case today, indeed I woke up fully and got up to apply some skin cream to my dry legs which were itchy beyond belief. Both devices show activity around that event.
I think I will start comparing the Sleepyhead and Fitbit data to get a finer understanding of events such as these two OA's which occurred less than one minute apart. For me, that is an unusual occurrence. Not a "one of" but not often. I could probably connect the dots better using the two devices and will use that down the road.
I hope this will help someone else on their CPAP journey.
Thanks to all the folks who provide great info on these forums to those of us out here stumbling along the CPAP journey. I regularly review the forums and always find a tidbit of info to apply to my own situation. That lead to my recent machine adjustments which so far have been beneficial.
Take care and be safe!
GordK

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Fitbit sleep graph coincides with Sleepyhead...fyi  |  Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:39 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Your ResMed AirSense 10 Elite model must be special because the Elite model doesn't offer the ability to have settings of minimum of 10 and maximum of 13.
Maybe you have the AutoSet model?????

As to FitBit accuracy...I have had it tell me I was sound asleep when I was awake and letting the dog out to go pee. Known awake time verified by the cpap machine being off in the middle of the night.
It does an okay job with the sleep stages but it isn't perfect or else it wouldn't have told me I was asleep when I know for sure I wasn't.
And I was using the latest FitBit Charge device that included heart rate stuff in its evaluation of the sleep stages.

GordK
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Fitbit sleep graph coincides with Sleepyhead...fyi  |  Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:50 am

Hi Pugsy,
I am pretty sure it is the AirSense 10 Elite model. MyAir Web displays that in "My Equipment". All those settings are available on the Clinical Settings page.
I hear you on the Fitbit. The accuracy is a question mark on a lot of parameters. I find the Fitbit Charge 3 sleep graphing "roughly" follows the Sleepyhead graphs and with that I discovered the two OA's coinciding with a pre wake up event. Not scientific by any means but another angle to apply to my results. If I had not woken up in response to my itchy legs, I might not have seen the connection to the two OA's so close together. They still may have occurred but studying the graphs on both devices uncovered a bit more detail.

I will check the name plate on the AirSense to absolutely confirm the model once my wife is up and around. If I am misleading you with the model, I will correct that with the right info. Any chance it being a Canadian model might offer slightly different options to the user?

Thanks for the feedback on my post.

Take care and be safe.

GordK

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Fitbit sleep graph coincides with Sleepyhead...fyi  |  Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:27 am

No...Canadian Elites aren't anything special over USA Elites.

MyAir website..full of bugs and it might be wrong.

Always look on the machine itself for model name...lower right corner on the face of the machine itself. It will always be correct.
If you have the auto range settings of minimum and maximum..you have one of the AutoSet models.

I mention it only to avoid confusion later should you have a problem or question about settings. It really helps us to know exactly what machine a person is using.

GordK
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Fitbit sleep graph coincides with Sleepyhead...fyi  |  Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:40 am

Hi,
Normally, Canadian products lack features seen on US models. There are always exceptions though. Just thought I would throw that out there.
The front of the machine is labelled AirSense 10 Elite in the lower right hand corner.
The settings on this machine are not autoset (that I can see). The settings I selected are manual.
The pressure graphs are solid non fluctuating start at 10/8, ramp to 13/11, and remain all night.
The mask pressure graph shows rhythmic variations corresponding, I assume, to my breathing.
Thanks again for the suggestions. I do want to be accurate with my info even if I am off base with total understanding of the issue(s).
I updated my profile to include the settings on my device.
Take care and be safe.

GordK

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Fitbit sleep graph coincides with Sleepyhead...fyi  |  Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:46 am

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

GordK wrote:
Hi Pugsy,
I am pretty sure it is the AirSense 10 Elite model.MyAir Web displays that in "My Equipment".

Alternatively, you could just look at the front of the machine (lower right corner) and be actually sure.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Fitbit sleep graph coincides with Sleepyhead...fyi  |  Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:47 am

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

GordK wrote:
Hi,
Normally, Canadian products lack features seen on US models.

Such as?

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Fitbit sleep graph coincides with Sleepyhead...fyi  |  Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:03 pm

The 13/11 after ramp period has ended is just inhale and exhale pressures because you are likely using EPR set to 2.

It's what is called a fixed pressure because that's what it is going to do all night long....won't vary at all.

True auto adjusting pressures can roam around all night within whatever parameters have been set.

My pressure settings are 7 inhale and 4 exhale but they can go to 15 inhale and 12 exhale if it needs to. The Elite can't do that roaming around. It's not going to change except for the changing during ramp and then the inhale/exhale difference.
If you look at the pressure graph you see the increase during ramp up to the 13 for inhale and 11 for exhale...but the lines never go up and down.

Here's an example of what the pressure line looks like for apap/auto adjusting mode. Your pressure lines are going to be totally straight once ramp is over with.

GordK
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Fitbit sleep graph coincides with Sleepyhead...fyi  |  Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:50 am

diamaunt wrote:
GordK wrote:
Hi,
Normally, Canadian products lack features seen on US models.

Such as?

My comment was general in nature. I cannot give a solid example at the moment but I have seen Canadian products lacking features available on it US counterparts. My suggestion that this might be the case with the Elite was just that a suggestion. Actually, in this case it was a suggestion of a possibility.
Take care.

GordK

GordK
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Fitbit sleep graph coincides with Sleepyhead...fyi  |  Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:01 am

Pugsy wrote:
The 13/11 after ramp period has ended is just inhale and exhale pressures because you are likely using EPR set to 2.

It's what is called a fixed pressure because that's what it is going to do all night long....won't vary at all.

Yeah...that is what I stated in my first post. I do understand this. I was questioned as to the device I have and its ability to set it as I have it set.
I appreciate the questions to ensure accuracy. I have been off base on many things so a gentle prod offers me the chance to confirm my data. Thanks for that opportunity.
I will continue to review the forum for hints to improve my CPAP journey and experience.
Take care.

GordK

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Fitbit sleep graph coincides with Sleepyhead...fyi  |  Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:39 am

GordK wrote:
Pugsy wrote:

Yeah...that is what I stated in my first post. I do understand this. I was questioned as to the device I have and its ability to set it as I have it set.
I appreciate the questions to ensure accuracy. I have been off base on many things so a gentle prod offers me the chance to confirm my data. Thanks for that opportunity.
I will continue to review the forum for hints to improve my CPAP journey and experience.
Take care.

GordK

Ahh...okay...you used the terms minimum and maximum in your original comment with no mention as to the ramp involvement at all. So I had no way to even know ramp was a factor.
That causes confusion because minimum and maximum are usually terms that are only used or available in the auto/apap modes.
I didn't understand what you were trying to say since it was said in a way that we don't commonly talk. So sorry.
I was just trying to make sure which machine you were for sure using to avoid more confusion later.

Quote:
I recently adjusted my AirSense 10 Elite to Min 10, Max 13 and EPR @ 2.

heartwood
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Fitbit sleep graph coincides with Sleepyhead...fyi  |  Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:54 am

PAP Mask: Respironics Full Face Dreamwear
PAP Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV
Humidifier: integrated humidifier with heat
Pressure Setting: EPAP 6, Min. PS 5, Max. 15PS ASV Mode

I thought I posted this but I can not find it. Will someone please tell me about FITBIT and showing stages of sleep? I was under the impression that the only way to know what sleep stage you are in is to have leads placed on your head as they do in an in house sleep study. I hope I did not misunderstand the post regarding this. I can't see anyway that a watch could interpret if you are in REM or not. I had three nights if in house sleep studies and I never entered REM because I take an antidepressant that is known to suppress REM sleep. There are many other antidepressants that also suppress REM.

heartwood
Unread post  Post subject: Never mind answering my post above . I looked it up online.  |  Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:11 am

PAP Mask: Respironics Full Face Dreamwear
PAP Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV
Humidifier: integrated humidifier with heat
Pressure Setting: EPAP 6, Min. PS 5, Max. 15PS ASV Mode

I looked up the Fitbit and how it can track sleep stages and now I understand.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Fitbit sleep graph coincides with Sleepyhead...fyi  |  Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:16 am

heartwood wrote:
I thought I posted this but I can not find it. Will someone please tell me about FITBIT and showing stages of sleep? I was under the impression that the only way to know what sleep stage you are in is to have leads placed on your head as they do in an in house sleep study. I hope I did not misunderstand the post regarding this. I can't see anyway that a watch could interpret if you are in REM or not. I had three nights if in house sleep studies and I never entered REM because I take an antidepressant that is known to suppress REM sleep. There are many other antidepressants that also suppress REM.

FitBit has marketed a couple of their higher end devices to also monitor pulse rate and they are promoting that these higher end devices can fairly accurately estimate sleep stages by some sort of calculations using movement and heart rate.

You can go to the FitBit website and read up on it. The Charge 2 and the next higher end device which I forget the name at the moment.
Supposedly compare FitBit results to a sleep study with those EEG leads on the face and head...and was supposedly fairly accurate.

I had and used the Charge 2 until it would no longer hold a charge....it appeared to be decently accurate but not perfect and of course I had nothing available to actually verify accuracy. All I do know is that one time it told me I was asleep and I know for a fact I was awake and walking around because my cpap machine was off and I was letting the dog out to go pee. So it's not perfectly accurate.
Probably decently accurate though for the most part and we don't have a way of doing the EEG lead thing at home on our own...so FitBit data better than nothing.

GordK
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Fitbit sleep graph coincides with Sleepyhead...fyi  |  Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:08 am

Pugsy wrote:
GordK wrote:
Pugsy wrote:

Take care.

GordK

Ahh...okay...you used the terms minimum and maximum in your original comment with no mention as to the ramp involvement at all. So I had no way to even know ramp was a factor.
That causes confusion because minimum and maximum are usually terms that are only used or available in the auto/apap modes.
I didn't understand what you were trying to say since it was said in a way that we don't commonly talk. So sorry.
I was just trying to make sure which machine you were for sure using to avoid more confusion later.

Quote:
I recently adjusted my AirSense 10 Elite to Min 10, Max 13 and EPR @ 2.

Hi Pugsy,
I was confident we would end up at the same place. More support for my comment about feedback. I was unaware that I was presenting the info in terms not used normally by the folks who are trying to sort out issues presented by forum users. I will endeavor to be more precise in future forum entries.
Don't apologize for my lack of understanding but please do continue to provide us with hints and tips to make our inquiries more meaningful.
Please accept MY apologies for getting yappy on this thread. I should have paused for a moment and considered my wording may have been lacking in clarity. i will take that moment from here on. The last thing I want is to do is alienate the folks who I can turn to for advice in this lifelong journey.
Thanks for your patience in getting me up to speed on this issue. I do appreciate it.
Cordially,

GordK

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Fitbit sleep graph coincides with Sleepyhead...fyi  |  Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:28 am

No problem GordK. I am good and don't have my panties in the least little wad.
It just never dawned on me that someone would start ramp at 10....oh, I know it can be done but most people don't. They start with the piddly 4 cm and never bother to change it.

The reason for clarification as to model....the next newbie that comes along and wonders why he/she can't set their Elite to a range of pressures like GordK says he does. See what I mean about confusion? Not so much mine or yours but the next person who is reading all this stuff and not saying anything. I have nearly 10 years experience with this stuff and if I get confused...I know a newbie might also get confused. I would hate to see someone buy the Elite thinking they are getting a model that will auto adjust like the AutoSet can auto adjust and maybe they really need auto adjusting for some reason and they spend their last dollars on something that won't do what they want or need.

So no big deal and I am not annoyed or in a snit or anything like that with you....if it matters. :lol: :lol:

GordK
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Fitbit sleep graph coincides with Sleepyhead...fyi  |  Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:01 pm

There is a lot I had not considered in the post. i am seeing your position much clearer. Good info for future communications on this forum and others.
Thanks for your patience and guidance.
Take care.

GordK