Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - AHI 0 but still sleepy
FAQ
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:57 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

heartwood
Unread post  Post subject: AHI 0 but still sleepy  |  Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:19 pm

PAP Mask: Respironics Full Face Dreamwear
PAP Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV
Humidifier: integrated humidifier with heat
Pressure Setting: EPAP 6, Min. PS 5, Max. 15PS ASV Mode

I started AVS machine a week ago and last night my AHI was 0. No centrals, no obstructives, and no hypopneas. I woke up and felt fine but by 2:00pm I was so sleepy and tired like I had not had a good night's sleep. Is this related to my sleep apnea still?

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: AHI 0 but still sleepy  |  Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:18 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

ASV? If so, please update your profile.

You may take some time to recover, plus, AHI isn't all there is to sleep disordered breathing.

heartwood
Unread post  Post subject: Re: AHI 0 but still sleepy  |  Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:44 am

diamant,

How do I change my info? The ASV is a loaner from my sleep center. They wanted me to try one before I order mine. When I get mine next week I will be able to put all the correct information in. Please expand on your statement that AHI is not all there is to sleep disordered breathing.

Thank you so much for answering.

heartwood
Unread post  Post subject: Re: AHI 0 but still sleepy  |  Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:29 am

I figured out how to update my profile and will do when I get the new machine. Again, thanks for your help.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: AHI 0 but still sleepy  |  Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:55 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

There's more to feeling better than just getting nice perfect low AHI numbers.
Getting them is the easy part....feeling the good numbers is a whole different story.

Some things that impact how we feel
Hours of sleep
Quality of sleep
Medication side effects
Other health issues
just to name a few.

Example....AHI of 0.0 but only get 5 hours of sleep...going to pretty much need a nap
AHI of 0.0 and get about 8 hours of sleep but that sleep is fragmented with a lot of wake ups for any number of reasons...poor sleep quality...going to pretty much need a nap
Medication side effects...happens often...AHI nice and low but we take something that makes us tired or sleepy.
Other health issues...or pain or whatever that just makes us feel bad in general.

Finally there is a lot of truth to the give it time thing for feeling the good numbers...some people might take weeks or months before the body regroups and feels the good numbers.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: AHI 0 but still sleepy  |  Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:27 pm

What she said.

heartwood
Unread post  Post subject: Re: AHI 0 but still sleepy  |  Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:43 am

diamaunt

I used to sleep eight hours and then I went to 7 so I think I will go back to sleeping 8 and see if that helps. I do have PLMD but at my last sleep study it was minimal. I tried taking the medication given as the first one always used for Restless Leg Syndrome and I had every side effect that was listed. Maybe I will try to set up some kind of camera to see what is happening with that.

I felt fine yesterday and did not have the afternoon drop. Still 0 AHI last night but I woke up feeling a little groggy.

Thank you so much.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: AHI 0 but still sleepy  |  Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:09 pm

There's a really cheap, but quite good, camera called 'wyze' they've got a really good sharp image, and can see in total darkness, as well as have motion tracking.

the best bit, is that they're 25$ on amazon. I've recommended them to a couple other people that wanted to see what they were doing in their sleep, and they had great results.

https://smile.amazon.com/Wyze-Indoor-Wi ... words=wyze

Mrzocor
Unread post  Post subject: Re: AHI 0 but still sleepy  |  Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:45 pm

PAP Mask: Pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 autoset.
Humidifier: Aircurve

Pugsy wrote:
There's more to feeling better than just getting nice perfect low AHI numbers.
Getting them is the easy part....feeling the good numbers is a whole different story.

Some things that impact how we feel
Hours of sleep
Quality of sleep
Medication side effects
Other health issues
just to name a few.

Example....AHI of 0.0 but only get 5 hours of sleep...going to pretty much need a nap
AHI of 0.0 and get about 8 hours of sleep but that sleep is fragmented with a lot of wake ups for any number of reasons...poor sleep quality...going to pretty much need a nap
Medication side effects...happens often...AHI nice and low but we take something that makes us tired or sleepy.
Other health issues...or pain or whatever that just makes us feel bad in general.

Finally there is a lot of truth to the give it time thing for feeling the good numbers...some people might take weeks or months before the body regroups and feels the good numbers.
7 months for me, and I still feel lower than whale smurf Go to bed, and stare at the ceiling for an hour or more before I fall asleep. Start sleeping good, and for no reason I can think of I wake up. toss and turn for another half an hour or more before I fall asleep again. Do that off, and on most of the night.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: AHI 0 but still sleepy  |  Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:17 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Mrzocor wrote:
7 months for me, and I still feel lower than whale smurf Go to bed, and stare at the ceiling for an hour or more before I fall asleep. Start sleeping good, and for no reason I can think of I wake up. toss and turn for another half an hour or more before I fall asleep again. Do that off, and on most of the night.

Insomnia...sleep onset and sleep maintenance...look them up
have many, many potential culprits and sleep apnea is but one of them.
Maybe your cpap therapy isn't optimal...or maybe you have have something else going on that is messing with your sleep.
CPAP therapy can't fix bad sleep when the bad sleep is caused by something other than sleep apnea no matter how much we might expect it to fix it. It just can't.
The list of culprits for insomnia...a mile long and sleep apnea is but one culprit on that very long list.
Maybe you have other problems that cpap isn't designed to fix.