div id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Mask leaks
FAQ
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:45 pm

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

bobfrankish
Unread post  Post subject: Mask leaks  |  Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:58 am

I have been a CPAP user for many years now. I have severe sleep apnoea, when tested I was stopping breathing 65 times a minute! My equipment is provided on a free-loan basis (sorry to everybody that has to pay for theirs!) by a sleep centre in Leeds, UK. For the last few years it has been the Resmed CPAP machine (can't remember the model, Escape?) but it was a fixed pressure unit, and a Resmed Mirage full face mask. I have always had a short-cropped beard and moustache. It's fair to say that I have been aware of mask leaks on many occasions - usually the rasping noise which wakes me up, and sometimes the unpleasant leaks into the eyes. Despite this, I get a good night's sleep and am symptom free. Last week my equipment was upgraded to the Resmed AirSense 10 Auto Elite CPAP machine and the Resmed Quattro Air mask. This unit has a sleep report function. The first night I used the new equipment, I was woken up by the mask leaking. I adjusted it and went back to sleep. I checked the sleep report next morning and it gave me a green smiley face against the mask leak. All is great, I thought. I love the new machine, it is quieter than the old one, and the new mask feels great (as per Jason's review). Unfortunately, that is the one and only time I have had the green smiley. The machine has a mask fit feature. When I use this, it is virtually impossible to get the green smiley (indicating correct mask seal) whilst holding the mask to my face. So it does not matter how much I adjust the straps when the mask is fitted. If I hold the mask onto my forearm, I can get it to seal and give me a green smiley. My sleep technician says the new mask was the correct fit for me. I have a brand new Mirage mask that I kept as a spare, and have tried this on the new machine with identical results. My question is this.. Should I try shaving my beard off and see if I can get a perfect (green) mask seal, or is a small amount of mask leakage acceptable and normal? Any comments would be gratefully received. (sorry for the length of this post!)

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Mask leaks  |  Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:35 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

bobfrankish wrote:
when tested I was stopping breathing 65 times a minute!

I'm pretty sure your breathing was stopping 65 times an hour, ;) not good, but I've seen people well over 120 times an hour.

bobfrankish wrote:
My sleep technician says the new mask was the correct fit for me. I have a brand new Mirage mask that I kept as a spare, and have tried this on the new machine with identical results. My question is this.. Should I try shaving my beard off and see if I can get a perfect (green) mask seal, or is a small amount of mask leakage acceptable and normal? Any comments would be gratefully received. (sorry for the length of this post!)

'sleep technicians' are notoriously wrong about things, download a fitting guide off the internet and make sure you've got the right size mask.

And, yes, beards are notorious for creating leaks.

Also, 'small amount of leakage', you're not getting that if you're getting red frowny face, you're getting a LOT of leakage.

Download sleepyhead and see what the night's leaks look like.

bobfrankish
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Mask leaks  |  Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:04 am

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I meant 65 times an hour! Thank you for correcting me! So... Since Thursday when I first posted, I have had 2 green smiley faces in the morning, The first was on Sunday, and I wondered if it was because my beard was not as short as I normally have it (I normally give it a good trim on Monday morning) and was flattening down easier. So I deliberately left it long on Monday. Yesterday morning - red face, so I trimmed my beard as usual. Today, yippee! green face. I really don't know exactly what is going on.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Mask leaks  |  Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:34 pm

The red face means you were in excessive leak territory for more than 30% of the night... so leaks are pretty bad before the frowny face comes up.

Seadog
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Mask leaks  |  Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:46 pm

Get the Resmed My Air app and you can get a report on your cell phone that shows how many hours that you used it, your leak rate, apnea events, mask on /off per night, and a total score for the previous night and the previous 30 nights. I also have the Sleepy Head App on my computer and periodically take the card from my APAP and upload it to Sleepy Head for a very detailed report on my sleep.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Mask leaks  |  Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:42 pm

myair is a joke.

Jmo2
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Mask leaks  |  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:51 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed F20
PAP Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Pressure Setting: 18

MyAir is a good quick tool to help manage your therapy. Ok, not a whole lot of detailed info, but what you get helps things go in the right direction.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Mask leaks  |  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:17 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

You can see the same limited information, that MyAir shows, on the machine's LCD sleep report in the morning when you get up if you wish.
For some it's enough and no need to dig deeper unless there is a problem of some sort.

Only thing with MyAir is that they all give you scores for how many hours the machine was used (doesn't necessarily mean you slept though) and they ding you for mask removals or turning the machine off.
So they give you a "score" for the night. For some people they really like getting a nice high "score" and an "atta boy" pat on the back kind of thing. I am long past the need for pats on the back but I can understand that maybe some newbies feel better with that kind of reward.

I haven't bothered to register my machine this time around.
I feel that what they offer people in the "atta boy" department is rather sophomoric and I just don't care for that kind of stuff.
And if I have a problem I want to see real details which MyAir can't do.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Mask leaks  |  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:38 pm

Jmo2 wrote:
MyAir is a good quick tool to help manage your therapy. .

No, no it isn't.

sja
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Mask leaks  |  Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:40 am

I don’t understand why the amount of leakage is having no impact on the number of events.
I agree that MyAir is lame, but I do use it to get a general sense of how long I used the mask, and get a general overview of things.
At my last visit the doctor seemed to see the same amount of leakage and the same apparently random impact it’s having on the amount of events, but he didn’t explain it.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Mask leaks  |  Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:04 pm

Why WOULD the leakage have anything to do with events?

He didn't explain it because there's no connection.

"leaks" are just more air venting from the mask than it was designed to vent, 'events' are places where your breathing is disturbed.

Apples and orangutans.