728x90 Scratch It & Reveal Big Saving Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - CPAP Pressure
FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:06 pm

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

Jds4000
Unread post  Post subject: CPAP Pressure  |  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:14 am

PAP Mask: Resmed F20 Full Face
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Auto with Heated Tubing
Humidifier: Built In
Pressure Setting: Minimum 4, Maximum 20

Hello all. I’ve been on CPAP since July 19th. I use an Airsense 10 Auto with a Full Face Mask. My minimum and maximum pressures are set at 4 and 20. I use the Ramp feature as well. My 95th percentile pressure averages 12. I experience less than 0.5 events per hour (AHI). I really enjoy using CPAP. I am sleeping great and I no longer experience daytime somnolence and fatigue at all. Here’s my question. Last night I awakened at 0415 and my machine was blasting pressure through my mask at 18.7. I lay wide awake breathing normally for several minutes wondering why the pressure was so high. Finally after 2-3 minutes I disconnected my mask and of course the high flow ceased. I reapplied the mask and everything went back to normal. This type of event has awakened me 3-4 times previously. What’s going on? Machine error? Obstruction requiring high pressure awakening me? If such an event awakens me and I’m obviously and consciously breathing normally shouldn’t such high flows automatically cease? Also, if my 95th percentile pressure averages 12, wouldn’t it be safe for me to change my maximum pressure to 14 or 15 from the current 20? Please help. THANK YOU.

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP Pressure  |  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:51 am

PAP Mask: Simplus
PAP Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
Pressure Setting: 12-20

You could do that, but the best thing would be to download the Sleepyhead software so we and you can see exactly what is happening.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP Pressure  |  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:38 am

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

All that 95% pressure means is that for 95% of the night you are at OR BELOW that number for 95% of the night.

5 % of the night you were above that number but you don't know how much more.

You need to use available software and see in detail what happened.
https://sleep.tnet.com/equipment

Sleep2snore
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP Pressure  |  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:52 am

PAP Mask: Nasal Pillows - Swift FX
PAP Machine: Remstar Airsense 10 Autoset / Remstar Auto Cflex APAP as back up!
Humidifier: Also F&P stand alone (Used with back-up machine).
Pressure Setting: 10 - 20

The machine I have now is the same as you have, it was set at 10 to 20 when I got it. It has never went above 12.1 so far, so I don't know why it went to 18 unless you needed it. This might be unlikely, but you never know.
What I would do if I were you is to put the machine up to 8 and increase it by 1 every few days until you are at you 90%, this way you catch most events before they happen. Keep an eye on centrals creeping in. This is why you are better slowly increasing it slowly, to a lot closer to what you need.
You might need 18, if that is the case, make sure you have EPR. turned on.

Enter clinical menu by pushing the big round one and the long one at the bottom for a few seconds until display changes.

https://youtu.be/vHkJuuZuhfc

Jds4000
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP Pressure  |  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:45 pm

Thank you. I learned a lot on SleepyHead today. All questions and issues are resolved and clarified via the data gleaned from SH. BTW EPR is on and set at 3 and per SH my 95th percentile # is 16. I was awakened at 0415 at a pressure of 18.7 due to a real airway event. I am aware of how to access the Clinical Menu on the 10. Thank you. PEACE.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP Pressure  |  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:27 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

Jds4000 wrote:
Hello all. I’ve been on CPAP since July 19th. I use an Airsense 10 Auto with a Full Face Mask. My minimum and maximum pressures are set at 4 and 20. I use the Ramp feature as well. My 95th percentile pressure averages 12. I experience less than 0.5 events per hour (AHI). I really enjoy using CPAP. I am sleeping great and I no longer experience daytime somnolence and fatigue at all. Here’s my question. Last night I awakened at 0415 and my machine was blasting pressure through my mask at 18.7. I lay wide awake breathing normally for several minutes wondering why the pressure was so high. Finally after 2-3 minutes I disconnected my mask and of course the high flow ceased. I reapplied the mask and everything went back to normal. This type of event has awakened me 3-4 times previously. What’s going on? Machine error? Obstruction requiring high pressure awakening me? If such an event awakens me and I’m obviously and consciously breathing normally shouldn’t such high flows automatically cease? Also, if my 95th percentile pressure averages 12, wouldn’t it be safe for me to change my maximum pressure to 14 or 15 from the current 20? Please help. THANK YOU.

It's more likely that what woke you up is whatever breathing event was going on that caused the machine to raise the pressure that much.

Your min pressure of 4 is almost certainly way too low, and causes the machine to have to work a lot harder to get to whatever pressures you need.

Download sleepyhead, post charts, instructions in my sig.

https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP Pressure  |  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:28 pm

Sleep2snore wrote:
What I would do if I were you is to put the machine up to 8 and increase it by 1 every few days until you are at you 90%c

This is dumb. basing *anything* at all on the 90/95% number is just poor practice.

Jds4000
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP Pressure  |  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:23 pm

diamaunt wrote:
Jds4000 wrote:

It's more likely that what woke you up is whatever breathing event was going on that caused the machine to raise the pressure that much.

Your min pressure of 4 is almost certainly way too low, and causes the machine to have to work a lot harder to get to whatever pressures you need.

Download sleepyhead, post charts, instructions in my sig.

I agree 100%.

Jds4000
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP Pressure  |  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:50 pm

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP Pressure  |  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:42 pm

Did you even briefly glance at the page in my sig about how to organize the charts, and what was useful out of them?

Jds4000
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP Pressure  |  Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:19 am

Case closed. Thank you all for your input.

tarpshack
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP Pressure  |  Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:22 am

PAP Mask: DreamWear Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear
PAP Machine: DreamStation Auto CPAP Machine
Humidifier: DreamStation Heated Humidifer
Pressure Setting: 5-15

That is good to hear. What ended up being the issue?