FAQ
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:25 pm

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

Lisalisacats
  Unread post  Post subject: Traveling with a cpap machine...  |  Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:17 pm

PAP Mask: Respironics DreamWear Gel Pillow - FitPack-1124984
PAP Machine: DreamStation 500 Auto

I'm going on two trips...one in September and one in October. I have never taken my cpap machine along with me since I've usually only been gone a couple of days but these are longer. So I have some questions....

1. What do you do with your machine if you're flying. Do you take it as carry on? Do you get any grief? Do you pack it in your suitcase?
2. Do you take your humidifier? I only use distilled water but can't imagine I'll be able to get that on a cruise so is it OK to use tap water as long as I do a good cleaning when I get home? Is it better to not bring the humidifier?

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Thanks

tarpshack
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Traveling with a cpap machine...  |  Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:04 pm

PAP Mask: DreamWear Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear
PAP Machine: DreamStation Auto CPAP Machine
Humidifier: DreamStation Heated Humidifer
Pressure Setting: 5-15

Here's what I understand. More experienced users can confirm or correct me.

1. When flying, always carry your PAP device with you as a carry on item. Never check it in as baggage. As it is a medical device, it should not count against the number of items you are allowed to carry on. It may help to get a letter from your provider, but it is not necessary.

2. If you decide to bring your humidifier, always make sure it is empty while traveling. If you are unable to use distilled water, you should be able to get by using bottled water for a couple of weeks maximum. But using tap water is never recommended.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Traveling with a cpap machine...  |  Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:44 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Tap water is fine...if you can drink it you can use it.
The worst that will happen is if the water is very hard (high mineral content) you might see some mineral scale buildup on the inside of the water chamber but it's easily removed with some vinegar or lemon juice.

I have used tap water in a pinch...like roads are bad and can't get into town or I don't realize I am out of distilled until too late and I don't want to make another trip to town...or even if I simply forget to buy it and don't want to go back to town just for water.

Here in the US the manuals for the machines all say "distilled water" but in other parts of the world the manuals just say "water" because it isn't always so easy or inexpensive to get distilled water in some parts of the world.

eplantz
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Traveling with a cpap machine...  |  Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:39 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit P10
PAP Machine: Airsense 10 AutoSet for Her
Pressure Setting: 14-19 avg. 17

I recently travelled overseas and took my S9 Autoset. There was no issue with the S9 getting through security here or in Europe.

I was on a riverboat and used cabin tap water with no problem at all.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Traveling with a cpap machine...  |  Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:17 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

Distilled water is just a convenience... so that you don't have to descale the reservoir. In other countries, the manuals just specify "water" not "distilled water".

https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

Lisalisacats
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Traveling with a cpap machine...  |  Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:53 am

PAP Mask: Respironics DreamWear Gel Pillow - FitPack-1124984
PAP Machine: DreamStation 500 Auto

Thanks for all your help...Makes it easier to figure out what to pack and what I don't need. Didn't realize that it wouldn't count as carry on since it's a medical device. Something I'll check into.