Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Getting Flow Limitations with FitLife Mask
FAQ
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:06 pm

Click this Affiliate Link to Support FreeCPAPAdvice when buying from Amazon. Easiest way to support us!

Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

pretysmitty
Unread post  Post subject: Getting Flow Limitations with FitLife Mask  |  Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:13 am

PAP Mask: P10 Nasal Pillow
PAP Machine: ResMed Airsense 10
Pressure Setting: 9-20cm

After trying a variety of different masks, the FitLife Total Facemask has so far led to two compliant nights. Big development, but I notice lots of FLs and big leaks. Before I try to fix the leaks, I'd like to fix the FLs.

Anyone have any experience with FLs for total facemasks? Perhaps it's due to mouth breathing?

Attachments:
screenshot-20180808-071151.png
screenshot-20180808-071151.png [ 151.7 KiB | Viewed 263 times ]
Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Getting Flow Limitations with FitLife Mask  |  Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:39 am

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Most likely the increase in FLs is from the fact that sometimes with these full face masks a person needs a little more pressure in the first place.
The FLs aren't from mouth breathing.

pretysmitty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Getting Flow Limitations with FitLife Mask  |  Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:54 am

PAP Mask: P10 Nasal Pillow
PAP Machine: ResMed Airsense 10
Pressure Setting: 9-20cm

I see. I'll increase the pressure by a small amount and see what happens.

I also found these two articles:

(1): https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4301251/

(2): https://sleeptechnologists.org/article/view/659

Basically, facemasks can (1) push the tongue to the back of the throat, causing obstruction, and (2) stop the jaw from being gently push forward by CPAP's pressure gradient. I can confirm that (2) happened to me, as my front teeth on my lower jaw felt a bit sore from being pressed against the back of my upper arch's teeth. The facemask forced my mouth completely shut, and the attempted to force my jaw forward but instead just pressed by bottom teeth against my front teeth.

I can see in either case how FL's can be created: the smaller airway volume requires a greater pressure, or else hypoventilation will occur. I'm going to get an oral appliance to stop mouth breathing and allow my jaw to rest in a comfortable position.