FAQ
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:25 pm

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

tarpshack
Unread post  Post subject: New Guy's Sleep Study Results  |  Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:16 pm

PAP Mask: DreamWear Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear
PAP Machine: DreamStation Auto CPAP Machine
Humidifier: DreamStation Heated Humidifer
Pressure Setting: 5-15

Snoring has been a part of my sleep habits off and on for several years. I know this because my wife is a fairly light sleeper. Losing weight helped. Sleeping on my side or stomach also helped. But then it seemed I started snoring despite maintaining my weight and sleeping in historically helpful positions. Then out of the blue, my dentist asked me if I snored at night because she noticed "scalloping" on my tongue, and she urged me to consider getting a sleep study.

I procrastinated for nearly a year before finally visiting a sleep doctor a couple of weeks ago. Due to insurance reasons, my first sleep study was done at home with the Philips Respironics Alice NightOne, and here were the results:

Code:
The patient was studied for 428.7 minutes. All sleep positions except left and prone were recorded.

Review of the respiratory tracings revealed that the patient had 4 central apneas, 33 obstructive apneas, 0.0 mixed apneas, and 96 obstructive hypopneas recorded during this study, for an respiratory event index (REI) of 18.9 events per hour. The central event index was 0.6 events per hour. The supine event index was 21.6 events per hour and the non-supine event index was 8.8 events per hour. The mean duration of the central apneas was 16.9 seconds with the longest duration of 21.5 seconds. The mean duration of the obstructive apneas was 14.7 seconds with the longest duration of 22.5 seconds. The mean duration of the obstructive hypopneas was 21.8 seconds with the longest duration of 56.5 seconds.

Review of the oxyhemoglobin saturation tracings revealed that this patient reached a minimum level of 89% in this recording. This patient spent 99% of total recorded time with levels above 90%.

Review of the heart rate tracings revealed that this patient spent the recorded sleep time with heart rates between 37 and 103 bpm.

Based on those results, an order has been placed with Rotech (DME) where I am trying to ensure I get a Philips Respironics DreamStation Auto and start with a DreamWear Nasal mask.

I appreciate the information and discussion on this forum, and I plan to continue to share my experience as I learn about all of this. Any tips, help, and suggestions are welcomed. Thank you.

tarpshack
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New Guy's Sleep Study Results  |  Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:48 am

Just a quick update. My PAP setup is scheduled for Monday morning. That seems like a pretty quick turnaround, right?

Initial appointment & home sleep study - 7/16/18
Sleep study results followup - 7/23/18
PAP Equipment Setup Scheduled - 8/6/18

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New Guy's Sleep Study Results  |  Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:30 am

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

It varies.

https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

tarpshack
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New Guy's Sleep Study Results  |  Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:16 am

My experience getting equipment turned out to be pretty positive. I got exactly what I asked for. I now have a Philips Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP with the humidifier. I was also fitted for a DreamWare Nasal Cradle mask, and they threw in a Nasal Pillows cushion for me to try if the cradle does not work for me.

I spent a short time breathing with a mask on at a very low pressure of 4 to 5 cmH2O for the first time. It was surprising at first, but kind of pleasant after a little bit. I cannot imagine how higher pressures will feel.

My range has been set for 5-15 cmH2O initially. I am sure I will have some thoughts about it after tonight.

Thanks again for all of the information that you guys have provided. It was an intimidating venture at first, but I feel like I am starting to understand parts of it.