Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Frustrated with mask fit
FAQ
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:45 am

Click this Affiliate Link to Support FreeCPAPAdvice when buying from Amazon. Easiest way to support us!

Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

virgistal
Unread post  Post subject: Frustrated with mask fit  |  Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:53 pm

PAP Mask: resmed F10
PAP Machine: resmed airsense 10
Pressure Setting: 6-16

I have been on therapy since April 2018. I have a very weak chin, and I am a mouth breather even when awake. On my first visit to my provider, I tried a nasal pillow mask and could not overcome the mouth leak and we both agreed that a full face mask would be my best option. I have tried several masks, the Resmed F20 and F10 leak constantly at my chin unless I tighten beyond comfort. Phillips Dreamweaver I am unable to get it to seal around my nose. Any of the masks that I try with a forehead pad make me feel like I am sleeping in a box. I sleep mostly on my side. Any good suggestions for another mask to try?

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Frustrated with mask fit  |  Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:18 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit P10, Swift FX, Swift FX Nano, Eson2
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto in S mode
Humidifier: Integrated set to 5 @ 81F; ClimateLineAir heated hose
Pressure Setting: IPAP 19 EPAP 15

How bad was your mouth leak? Do you mouth breathe because of congestion? If so, have you discussed congestion treatments with your primary doctor? Did you try a chinstrap, cervical collar, mouthguard, or any combination of them? I also have a weak chin and had a difficult time with FFMs keeping a seal. The loud sputtering woke both my husband and me every time, in the end I found that if I was going to leak either way I would rather be comfortable in a nasal or nasal pillow mask and not wake my husband every time. I treat my congestion with Claritin-D and a nasal rinse and have stopped mouth breathing during the day and by using heated humidity I am able to breathe through my nose (mostly) while sleeping.

virgistal
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Frustrated with mask fit  |  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:33 pm

Leak is pretty significant. Feels like air is pouring out around my chin. I've tried a couple of styles of chin straps. I usually find them on the floor when I wake up and I do not remember taking them off. The mask is off too when this happens. I dont feel congested. I can breathe through my nose. My mouth is just always kinda open because of how far back my chin sits.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Frustrated with mask fit  |  Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:56 am

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

I don't know how you feel about wearing a cervical collar to help support the chin and prevent the jaw drop from opening the mouth but some people find it helpful and not too annoying.
If it were me I would probably just tape my mouth shut...but some people get freaked out by that idea. I taped for about 3 months when I first started cpap therapy because of mouth opening issues mostly from habit of the mouth breathing gasping for air because of the apnea events...my nose was never the issue in terms of congestion causing the mouth breathing because it was always clear.

If the leaks weren't horribly excessive and didn't wake you up....I would probably say just ignore them but if they are disturbing sleep then I would want to fix them.

I know someone on another forum to tried a rather unique approach to covering the mouth but not a 100% seal like you get with the taping option.
See what Jay says about using the Scunci
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic.php?f ... i#p1086296

If it were me in your situation and your experiences with a full face mask...I think I would back up and try to fix the mouth opening issues and use a nasal mask..
I can't think of a full face mask that you haven't tried that would be a potential better option.

virgistal
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Frustrated with mask fit  |  Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:43 am

Thanks. I'll look at those options

CherylTheBarrell
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Frustrated with mask fit  |  Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:09 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Pressure Setting: CPAP 4-20

Vergistal —look at Phillips Respironics Wisp, the headgear wraps your head nicely and prevents leaks. There are 3 headgear parts necessary for use, not just 1.