728x90 Scratch It & Reveal Big Saving Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Anyone trying to lose weight? What's your strategy?
FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:48 pm

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

BillyHW
Unread post  Post subject: Anyone trying to lose weight? What's your strategy?  |  Posted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:31 pm

PAP Mask: F&P Simplus
PAP Machine: Philips Dreamstation Auto
Pressure Setting: 12 to 20 cmH2O

So after about a year on CPAP, I sadly haven't experienced any spontaneous weight loss, but I am feeling so much better that I'm finally motivated to try and lose some weight again.

I've been watching some Dr. Jason Fung videos on YouTube about low-carb dieting and intermittent fasting.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... jason+fung

Been doing that for about a month. At some point I will start hitting the gym again.

So is anyone else here trying to lose some weight? What strategy are you trying?

Daniel Gagner
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Anyone trying to lose weight? What's your strategy?  |  Posted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:29 pm

PAP Mask: Respironics Dreamwear nasal
PAP Machine: Respironics Dreamstation 500
Humidifier: respironics
Pressure Setting: 9=13

For me I do this (most of the time).
No processed foods
No processed carbs, only carbs incidently, like in carrots, etc. No breads, pastas etc.
Chicken and fish ( small amounts)
Lots of water, no soda. Even diet soda will illicit cravings.
Lots of raw veggies.

So a plate of food like tonight will be chicken breast (broiled, no skin), leaf lettuce with vinegar, radishes, cucumber, couple of peperoncini, pitcher of water. Maybe an ear of corn. It's in season here and still a carb but I indulge.

Melly
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Anyone trying to lose weight? What's your strategy?  |  Posted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:42 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed Airfit F20
PAP Machine: Philips Dreamstation APAP w/humidifier
Pressure Setting: Auto setting from 5-15

I am actually losing weight right now. Lost over 20 lbs since Feb.

I basically have been watching my carbs and doing a little carb counting. When having carbs, I go for stuff that has fiber in it, which reduces the sugar load. I also have made sure to get veggies every day and limit my portions from what I used to have.

It's rough when you are trying to find things at a restaurant, but you can if you look hard enough, even for a picky person like me.

GUM~~~~ Most wonderful thing on the planet! I chew a piece when I feel like I want to snack.

I also picked up a Gazelle Fitness Glider. I love it! Great low-impact exercise.

Khuddie
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Anyone trying to lose weight? What's your strategy?  |  Posted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:16 pm

Find a treadmill which automatically adjusts incline and speed to maintain a chest strap monitored heart rate, set up the duration of the workout for the length of a show you want to watch , start the show and have the treadmill keep you in fat burn heart rate for at least 45mins, wash rinse repeat.

You can switch to cardio heart rate (higher than fat burn) workout every now and then too.

You won't overtrain and you can't cheat by not working hard enough, the show will distract the monotony of being on a treadmill for up to an hour.

I have bad knees and weigh too much to jog or run so I set treadmill at max speed of 2.8 mph but let the incline go as high as possible like I am hiking uphill.

Reliance
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Anyone trying to lose weight? What's your strategy?  |  Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:55 am

It took a long time. Several things actually helped.

1. Bariatric surgery got rid of 25 kilograms (55 pounds).
  2. Gave up ice cream, candy, and virtually all bread. It was the bread that made the bigger difference.
    First I limited ice cream to once a month, and bread to once a week. Then, a year later, it was
    much easier to reduce the ice cream to once a year and reduce the bread even further.
  3. Replaced the bread with some high-fiber foods. The more fiber the better.
  4. My overweight had given me osteoarthritis (knee pain), so my doctor arranged a group of painkillers
    that enabled me to walk more often. So I'm walking further and more often. Even uphill, which is a change.
    Losing weight also eased the knee pain, which was the plan.
  5. The CPAP gave me some more energy.
  6. Moving to a sunnier climate may also have helped.
  7. Getting cancer scared me to death. (Seems to be gone now). The Grim Reaper had his scythe at my throat and it kind of woke me up.

I'm 70 and doing better than I expected at this age.

ryes_silver
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Anyone trying to lose weight? What's your strategy?  |  Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:01 pm

I stopped junk food and drinking coffee (this, I miss)

OldSarge
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Anyone trying to lose weight? What's your strategy?  |  Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:36 am

PAP Mask: Quattro FX
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
Humidifier: yes
Pressure Setting: 11-16

When people tell me they are dieting, I tell them to tell me how it worked in 5 years. Dieting is never the answer. The thing you need is a permanent lifestyle change. By lifestyle change, I mean start exercising and eating right in normal portion sizes. THat's all it takes, folks. In exercise, walk as far as you can and back comfortably. do it every day. when you feel good about it whether it's a day, a week or a year, do it twice every day. Etc, etc, etc. If you push yourself to run a 10 minute mile in a month, you'll burn out and shortly be doing nothing. the important thing is do something every day and strive to slowly increase. Eating, eat healthy foods. we all know what's good for us. portion control is the single most important thing. Don't take a dinner meant for 6 and divide it between 2 people for one meal. Remember, when you start these things they are for the rest of your life, so choose wisely and stick with it for the long haul. Good Luck.

Jonoshanda
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Anyone trying to lose weight? What's your strategy?  |  Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:13 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit F20
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Auto
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10 dishwasher safe
Pressure Setting: 6-11 APAP

Planet Fitness Black card. Start some sort of exercise. You get a mild coach include, and you can bring a buddy. You also get to use massage chairs, and beds. First cut out empty calories. Example. McDonald’s get the burger because you get protein. Skip the fries because they don’t be icky you. You want a candy bar, grab a protein bar, like a Robert Ervin Crunch bar. It’s packed with protein and vitamins. Yes it cost a little more but in the long run it’s better then 2 Twix. Ice cream? Get Halo Top. 23 grams of protein, 320 calories for the whole container. Then once you stop craving junk, look into weight watchers online.

Randalus
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Anyone trying to lose weight? What's your strategy?  |  Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:05 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed Airfit F20 Full Face Mask
PAP Machine: Resmed Air Curve 10S Bilevel
Humidifier: Built in
Pressure Setting: Bilevel 24/20

I put myself on a diet after visiting my endocrinologist and he recommended bariatric surgery. I have been on my diet for about 5 months and have lost 52# so far. I hit a plateau about 2 months ago and finally lost another 5#. I would like to loose 125# total.

What I've been doing: Protein shakes for Breakfast and Dinner and a sensible meal for lunch. I've been using the Optimum Nutrition Whey Isolate (Costco) with 30g of protein (140 cals) + 1 cup 1% milk (100 Cals) + kale or other greens, and frozen berries that I purchase at Dollar Tree. For a snack, fruit or light popcorn.

Brandt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Anyone trying to lose weight? What's your strategy?  |  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:40 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed F10
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto BiLevel running in standard mode not autoset
Humidifier: Built-in set at 4
Pressure Setting: 15/11 cmH2O

Keto ! Low carbs and low or no sugar and eat FATS but you have eat good fats. You eat real butter. You can eat Mayo but not the bad store stuff made with cheap oils and added sugars. You can make it yourself or buy Mayo made with avocado oil and no sugar. You can eat eggs and bacon and steaks with fat.

You can use Stevia as sweeter or Erythritol. Google primal kitchen they sell Mayo made with good oils and no sugar. It takes different but stuff you can eat. They sell some hot chocolate that has no sugar.

Their are some soda made with Erythritol like Live Soda