FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:59 am

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

DebbieP
Unread post  Post subject: Newbie questions  |  Posted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:40 pm

I just completed my study and have severe obstructive apnea with AHI OF 75. I have not met with the approved DME provider yet, and want to be prepared. I am a side sleeper with severe dry mouth due to empty nose syndrome as a result of previous sinus and turbinate surgey. I have to actually take meds at night to increase my saliva to keep my tongue from sticking to the roof of my mouth. I have to drink water several times during the night. However, this is all with my mouth closed. I do not sleep with my mouth open, i am not a mouth breather. I would like either nasal pillows or mask. Any suggestions? I will be using humidification and heated hose. Planning on getting either resmed for her or dreamstation.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie questions  |  Posted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:55 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Look at the mask I use....the ResMed AirFit P10 nasal pillow mask.
It's about as nothing of a mask as is out there and the venting system is diffused so essentially silently and can't even be felt unless my hand is about an inch from the vent holes.
My hubby greatly appreciated the fact that no longer does he get a jet stream of cold air on him if he gets close to me.

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie questions  |  Posted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:31 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit P10, Swift FX, Swift FX Nano, Eson2
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto in S mode
Humidifier: Integrated set to 5 @ 81F; ClimateLineAir heated hose
Pressure Setting: IPAP 19 EPAP 15

I also prefer the P10 and I predominantly sleep on my sides. I also really like the F&P Brevida. It's kind of a cross between a pillow mask and nasal mask. It also has a washable filter that cuts down on noise and airflow from the vent. As for nasal masks, I like the Swift FX Nano for it's minimalism and the F&P Eson 2 for its quietness.

Just to throw it out there, the Swift FX pillows fit on the headgear and frame of the Nano, and the pillows themselves are supposed to be the same pillows that they use on the P10.

danmurfa
Unread post  Post subject: 2nd Night - Under Nose Nasal Mask  |  Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:18 am

There is a small slit in the front of my nasal pillow is that normal for air to be coming out from that area - did not notice it the first night?

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: 2nd Night - Under Nose Nasal Mask  |  Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:51 am

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

danmurfa wrote:
There is a small slit in the front of my nasal pillow is that normal for air to be coming out from that area - did not notice it the first night?

until you tell us what nasal pillow you're talking about, all we could do is guess.

https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

ryes_silver
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie questions  |  Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:02 pm

I've heard about different forms of treatment for patients diagnosed with sleep apnea but CPAP masks and devices are unparalleled. Every medical condition would have some proven cure which is either in the form of medicine or the alternate methods that includes exercise, yoga, changing diets, habits etc. And for some conditions, it has to do with the power of your mind- placebo effect, confidence and other techniques for mental development.

For a life-threatening disorder like sleep-apnea, there's a limit to how much you can treat with the latter because it occurs in your subconscious and, you're constantly waking up in middle of the night gasping for air. It will hinder your performance throughout the rest of the day and you'll be wearing the shoes of an insomniac. CPAP devices are the equivalent of a pacemaker for people with arrhythmic heartbeats.

There are online retailers from where you can buy at discounted rates. My grandfather is 70 and still going strong; he uses a Resmed Mirage FX with an additional headgear.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie questions  |  Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:51 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

> CPAP devices are the equivalent of a pacemaker for people with arrhythmic heartbeats.

Actually, cpaps are the equivalent of glasses, for someone with bad eyesight.

Put 'em on, take 'em off, and they have to be cut to match your needs.

https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

ryes_silver
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie questions  |  Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:18 am

diamaunt wrote:
> CPAP devices are the equivalent of a pacemaker for people with arrhythmic heartbeats.

Actually, cpaps are the equivalent of glasses, for someone with bad eyesight.

Put 'em on, take 'em off, and they have to be cut to match your needs.

I guess that's a much better analogy :D

Lost sleep or rose up early?