FAQ
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:23 pm

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

ric7744
Unread post  Post subject: Help with newly Diagnosed Sleep Apnea  |  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:13 pm

I am a 47 year old Male, pretty healthy except for High Blood pressure since I was in my 20's but under control and Supra Ventricular Tachycardia which is recent and which I am scheduled for a ablation for next month and am on Metoprolol Beta Blocker for. I work out everyday. . I was diagnosed with Mild Sleep Apnea with a AHI of 10.7, most of it was Hypopnea's and I barely snore at all but sometimes make a little sound so it was really odd to me that I even had sleep apnea because my wife said I really don't make noise when I sleep, she did witness me pause breathing once.
I feel the symptoms and tiredness and over the last few years when I have a beer or two I really feel the symptom of Sleep Apnea.. The sleep doctor advised me to get a APAP machine and nasal mask or Oral Appliance. i also grind my teeth and wear a night guard so the oral appliance sounds ok but I figured I would give the machine a try.
They got me a Resmed auto sense 10 with heated tube and a N20 nasal mask and then a Dream wear nasal mask. After 3 weeks I have not been able to get any quality sleep with any of it on. I have tried changing heat and climate settings ramp settings nothing works but the most concerning thing is that after I wear it for a while trying to sleep I end up getting the Supra Ventricular Tachycardia episode almost every time, which I never really get just laying down. At this point I take it off and then end up sleeping. I just can't fall asleep with the air going into my nose and my pressure is only 5-15. I am not sure what to do but I am now thinking Oral Appliance might be my best bet. Have any of you have had a similar experience and if so what oral appliance did you end up liking.

BigZZz
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help with newly Diagnosed Sleep Apnea  |  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:49 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed AirTouch F20
PAP Machine: Phillips Respironics Dream Station
Humidifier: heated attached to the APAP
Pressure Setting: 11-15

Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of sleep apnea. I've been on a Dreamstation too since Nov of 2017 so am a recent convert, so to speak. A question - do you have nasal congestion issues? I've had allergies and the like for years so that nixed the idea of a nasal mask for me pretty quickly. I have had great improvement with Nasalcrom, an OTC nasal spray. I've been using both the ResMed AirTouch F20 and the Amara View which are more full face masks, rather than just nasal. I started with the ResMed, then tried the Amara, have been back on the ResMed for some time now as I have less leakage. Maintain 100% fit most nights. With less pressure going directly into your nose, that may help you adjust better. Worth trying. Keep us posted. The end results are worth it, even if it takes us awhile to get there!

ric7744
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help with newly Diagnosed Sleep Apnea  |  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:20 pm

Hi, I don't really have nasal issues, I just can't get comfortable enough with it to fall asleep. Maybe a full face would feel better, I should try it. I am also going to try and move forward with a oral device so if anybody has advice on that it would be great. Also I need something to force me to sleep on my side. I think I sleep all night on my side but I don't and the AHI is better on my side.

ddenver11
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help with newly Diagnosed Sleep Apnea  |  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:51 pm

I just got my oral appliance 3 days ago and I have to say in my opinion my sleeping became horrible. It forces me to breath only through my nose and my nostrils are always pretty clogged so I feel like it's a struggle to breath with that oral appliance in. My snoring went away and maybe I need to give it more time but the first night with that mouthpiece I bet I didn't even sleep an hour it was miserable. I'm now looking into getting a cpap machine and maybe I'll be able to use the mouthpiece and cpap together. It was a hefty price tag for that oral appliance and I am personally wishing I wouldn't have got it. I

Rob
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help with newly Diagnosed Sleep Apnea  |  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:18 pm

PAP Mask: Amara View(Respironics)
PAP Machine: Resmed Autoset 10
Humidifier: Heated Humidifier
Pressure Setting: CPAP 8cmH20 and EPR(off now)

Greetings, Im a 27 y.o. diagnosed and started using just 2mo ago CPAP and I havent had any improvement, I am depressed and feel like I cant do nothing. I downloaded SLEEPYHEAD and the machine is marking CA's but I noticed there are some erratic and PEAKs of Flow rate before this marking of CA's what is this? please anyone let me know. ThankYou and Thanks to LeftyLanky

Attachments:
screenshot-20180513-202638.png
screenshot-20180513-202638.png [ 74.22 KiB | Viewed 345 times ]
screenshot-20180513-202555.png
screenshot-20180513-202555.png [ 74.04 KiB | Viewed 345 times ]
screenshot-20180513-202535.png
screenshot-20180513-202535.png [ 74.08 KiB | Viewed 345 times ]
screenshot-20180513-202510.png
screenshot-20180513-202510.png [ 74.04 KiB | Viewed 345 times ]
screenshot-20180513-202340.png
screenshot-20180513-202340.png [ 74.99 KiB | Viewed 345 times ]
ric7744
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help with newly Diagnosed Sleep Apnea  |  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:15 am

ddenver11 wrote:
I just got my oral appliance 3 days ago and I have to say in my opinion my sleeping became horrible. It forces me to breath only through my nose and my nostrils are always pretty clogged so I feel like it's a struggle to breath with that oral appliance in. My snoring went away and maybe I need to give it more time but the first night with that mouthpiece I bet I didn't even sleep an hour it was miserable. I'm now looking into getting a cpap machine and maybe I'll be able to use the mouthpiece and cpap together. It was a hefty price tag for that oral appliance and I am personally wishing I wouldn't have got it. I

What kind of oral appliance did you get?