Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Severe issues with drool!
FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:54 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

gator
Unread post  Post subject: Severe issues with drool!  |  Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:47 am

Hi,

I'm brand-new to this forum and I'm hoping that someone can help or offer some advice with my issue (which I realize is what we are all hoping for!)...

I've been using C-PAP for a while now with a full-face Quatro mask. The problem is that I sleep with my mouth agape and drool extensively in my sleep. FYI, this also happened prior to C-PAP so I would always wake up with a very wet pillowcase. But now with my full-face mask, my extensive drooling during sleep is causing huge problems. When drool accumulates in the bottom of my mask, the mask begins to hiss very loudly and wakes me up. I then have to remove the mask and extensively wipe down the mask to dry the drool, then put the mask back on and go back to sleep. This procedure occurs between 4-10 times every night. So it is like some sort of torture where I finally fall back into a deep sleep, only to be constantly awakened by excess drool in my mask. It is absolutely driving me insane!

I have tried various things such as changing the settings on my Resmed humidifier, using water in the humidifier/not using water in the humidifier, taking a pill that was supposed to dry out my throat in the hope of limiting my night time saliva, using a throat spray, etc. Nothing works even the tiniest bit. I say this in jest, but it almost feels like the only thing that would work is if I could keep inside my C-PAP mask one of those air-suction things that the dentist balances on your lower lip to keep your mouth dry.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? I can't stand the thought of this torturous process 4-10 times every single night for the rest of my life. Thanks for listening...I really appreciate it!

Tiger
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Severe issues with drool!  |  Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:56 am

PAP Mask: ResMed, Swift FX For Her (XS Cushion), PR Chin Strap
PAP Machine: ResMed Airsense (10) For Her
Humidifier: Built in humidifier, for Airsense (10) For Her
Pressure Setting: 5 - 20 cm's, APAP

Hi,

I'm extremely new to CPAP, I haven't gotten my equipment, yet. Although, Ive been reviewing various masks and machines. I have come across chin restraints, on-line. I found ResMeds, Phillips Respironics and the Puresom Ruby, I think its called. The Ruby has been known to cause sweating, the Phillips tends to fall apart and the ResMed, loses its shape.

I am in the same boat as you. During my second sleep study, I was drooling into my mask. It was the Quattro FX, size Small. I just stayed that way all night, until the tech came in to remove the mask, the next morning. I was very embarrassed.

I have a cm of 8, with 8 hypopneas a night. 1 central apnea and 1 apnea. My AHI is 5.4. I'm hoping to get the Wisp mask with an autoset machine. I want a machine that can adjust to the pressure I need at any given time. I don't think I will always need an 8cm.

That mask was leaking something awful and air was rushing down my throat. I get hot flashes, so the Puresom Chin Restraint, probably wouldn't be a good idea for me. I'm not sure which chin restraint I will get.

I'm waiting for the respiratory therapist to phone me. She needs to set me up with a mask fitting clinic, before I head to the DME. I'm not looking forward to any of this, I'm trying to stay positive because I know I have to do this. It was either this or the hormone patch. A hormone deficiency is what brought on my sleep apnea. I don't want the patch, due to the cancer risks involved. So, Ive opted for the more complicated solution. I must be mad!

I hope this helps you. This CPAP stuff is tricky! We have each other to lean on, on this site, so hopefully we will be able to carry on.

Regards,
Lynn

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Severe issues with drool!  |  Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:45 am
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

Hello gator,

Ahhhh.....the ol' drooling problem.

Some things that you can try are (if you're not) to start sleeping on your back. Let our good friend "Mr. Gravity" help us out in any way possible. This may be a problem if your doctor has instructed you to sleep on your side with CPAP, but that's pretty rare. Good news is that the CPAP may now make it possible to sleep on your back.

If you find yourself uttering the phrase "suck it Jason! I can't sleep on my back!", then try sleeping on your side, but with your head/upper body propped up.

Mention this to your physician too. I can't remember the mechanism, but during sleep there is something released, or not released, that is supposed to stop you from producing saliva. I don't know if this can be treated with medication or supplements, so I defer you to your physician too. Sounds like you may have done this already, but a pointed question of whether your current medications (if any) can cause excessive saliva will help solve the mystery.

Limit fluids prior to bedtime as much as possible.

Make sure your sinuses are clear . You can use saline nasal spray, a neti pot, little bit of vapor rub under your nose, allergy medication etc. prior to bedtime.

Hopefully this helps and sorry for the delay in responding!

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

tomfooter
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Severe issues with drool!  |  Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:27 pm

Hello! I'm new to this site, but I could have written both of the above posts!! I wake up several times during the night just to clean the drool out of my face piece. I've been looking at the Oracle Oral CPAP mask. Do you think this would help? It looks as if it would Seal your mouth, but I have also read the reviews on it. Some love it and some hate it. Almost all say it gives you a dry mouth. Does anyone have any advice on this subject (other than what has been given already)? Thanks in advance!

acousticshock
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Severe issues with drool!  |  Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:28 am

PAP Mask: AirFit N30i
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10
Humidifier: built it
Pressure Setting: 4-20

I guess this is for Tom since we're necro posting on a 2015 topic: Completely anecdotal and I'm only 10 days in, but I mentioned drool to the CPAP reseller's therapist/rep/courtroom expert when she set up my CPAP two weeks ago. She mentioned that people produce more saliva when they have acid reflux. I've been eating foods that produce less heartburn at dinner, and I seem to be producing less saliva. On days I have been less cautious, I'm swallowing spit until I fall asleep. My brother has both sleep apnea and GERD, and he sleeps upright in a craftmatic so the acid flows back to his stomach.