FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:12 pm

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

Cookiejcook
Unread post  Post subject: Misdiagnosed but happy ending at last  |  Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:00 am

Hi
I posted here ages ago asking questions about sleep apnea (aponea?) and fibromyalgia. After feeling unwell for 30 odd years and having been misdiagnosed with ME, fibro, depression anxiety etc etc I was finally diagnosed with sleep apnea in January. I have been given a machine and a few masks to try and it has completely changed my life, I feel like a kid again. Im still getting used to using it and am having problems with sore nose and bloating, but its a life changer for me so will persevere until I find a combination that suits me. My mood has greatly improved too and am finally anti depressant free after being stuck on them for many many years, although the withdrawal isnt pleasant but I will do it :)
Had received great advice on here when I first posted and watched the youtube videos which are helpful and quite funny :) and reading through the posts on here has been a great help too. Thank you very much. I wonder how many others are suffering without realising whats wrong. I have had many medical appointments and tests over the years and no one has EVER asked about sleep! Its crazy! The difference in how I feel is unbelievable and Im a bit sad about how much life I have missed out on, so I have lots of living to catch up on too :lol:

This is a great site and thank you all for your help

Julie

BillyHW
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Misdiagnosed but happy ending at last  |  Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:11 am

PAP Mask: F&P Simplus
PAP Machine: Philips Dreamstation Auto
Pressure Setting: 12 to 20 cmH2O

My life has changed for the better too.

Sleep2snore
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Misdiagnosed but happy ending at last  |  Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:24 am

PAP Mask: Nasal Pillows - Swift FX
PAP Machine: Remstar Airsense 10 Autoset / Remstar Auto Cflex APAP as back up!
Humidifier: Also F&P stand alone (Used with back-up machine).
Pressure Setting: 10 - 20

Hi Julie,
Glad the site helped you.
It is sad that there is so little awareness of Sleep Apnea among the medical people and doctors. However, they are becoming more aware of it, but sometimes the old diagnoses gets in the way and sometimes a doctor will not look at things from a new prospective and if they are not a new doctor to your problem they keep plodding on with the same treatments.
Sometimes a new doctor can look at things from a different angle if asked to do so. Unless someone has an inkling that they are suffering from Sleep Apnea it is not mentioned, even after a patient complains of being tired all the time. You would think a doctor would think Sleep Apnea, but as yet they don't, they try a lot of things first based on what they know works in the past. I often wonder how many patients have had the wrong diagnoses over the years. I am almost certain my mother had mild Sleep Apnea, but it was never picked up on and she certainly had Acid Reflux, this had been addressed but I saw quite a few things that was related to Sleep Apnea. However, they are becoming a bit more aware of it now, but there appears still to be an awareness gap.
Where I come from anyway. They do know about it, but they do not think Sleep Apnea when patients say they are fatigued all the time.
It is usually the patient that brings it up first!

hughhamm
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Misdiagnosed but happy ending at last  |  Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:21 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed nasal pillow Medium size
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10
Humidifier: Built in to Airsense 10 set to 4
Pressure Setting: minimum setting at 4 on apap setting

I too am seeing great changes from PAP therapy!! I have been more energetic in the last week than in a few years. Here is to the good keeping on coming.