Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Help a newbie out
FAQ
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:37 pm

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

NpcCPAP
Unread post  Post subject: Help a newbie out  |  Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:16 pm

Hi there, I'm new to all of this so hang in there.
I do not have insurance and am trying to go about this process in the most economical way. I may or may not do the in home sleep study.

I am a 28yr old male, very healthy although being a 240lb bodybuilder and working my way up to 270lbs I'm 95% certain I have developed sleep apnea. Many bodybuilders swear by CPAP machines and many self diagnose and buy off Craigslist.

I've found this machine locally, a Phillips Respironics System One and it seems like this would be a good choice for me. A pro bodybuilder who has used one for years suggested this one to me. Does anyone advise against this machine? I feel that the automatic machines would be best for me.

My next question.. Mask. The person selling the machine is including a new nasal mask with it. Do you have any suggestions as to what mask would work best for me? One concern is I'm not sure how they work for someone with a full thick beard.

Thank you in advance

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help a newbie out  |  Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:29 pm
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

This story sounds too familiar for you to not be the same person. Did you contact me through axgsleepdiagnostics.com?

The System One APAP is a great machine. You can probably get it for very cheap. Make sure that it's APAP.

The mask is another matter. It really depends on you. There are some "universal" masks that I would start with that work well for most people. What mask do they have that comes with it? Just to not leave you hanging, the Dreamwear would work very well for someone with a beard.

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

NpcCPAP
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help a newbie out  |  Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:02 pm

Thank you very much for responding! Yes I did email you. I'm trying to research as much as I can, and didn't want to bother you with an endless flow of questions.

I attached (at least I tried to) a picture of the machine and mask I found locally. I have not purchased it yet. If it's a good one to go with, I'd like to at least get it and have it, while I figure out the sleep study process.

Being on a bit of a budget I'm trying to be as conservative as possible.

Thank you for the mask recommendation, that's actually the one I was looking at this morning, it looks like it would be pretty comfortable.

Attachments:
Screenshot_20171216-145555.jpg
Screenshot_20171216-145555.jpg [ 338.73 KiB | Viewed 560 times ]
Screenshot_20171216-145627.jpg
Screenshot_20171216-145627.jpg [ 559.64 KiB | Viewed 560 times ]
LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help a newbie out  |  Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:43 pm

PAP Mask: Quattro
PAP Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
Pressure Setting: 11-15

I would try to find out how many run hours were on the machine. You can't tell how good a deal it is without knowing. It's like a car..a car may look good but there may be 100,000+ on the odometer. ALSO...make sure it includes a humidifier. (Not shown in picture).

NpcCPAP
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help a newbie out  |  Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:17 pm

LSAT wrote:
I would try to find out how many run hours were on the machine. You can't tell how good a deal it is without knowing. It's like a car..a car may look good but there may be 100,000+ on the odometer. ALSO...make sure it includes a humidifier. (Not shown in picture).

I did ask about the humidifier and it is included, I zoomed in on that picture to show the model number.

The dreamwear mask looks great, and they're priced well too!

Daniel Gagner
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help a newbie out  |  Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:27 pm

PAP Mask: Respironics Dreamwear nasal
PAP Machine: Respironics Dreamstation 500
Humidifier: respironics
Pressure Setting: 9=13

As I did long ago... leave a low light on at night and video yourself sleeping for a few hours. Fast forward through it and see how many times you're stopping breathing and sucking air in over a period of time, say 10 minutes. From that you can get a rough (but in some cases pretty good) estimate of your AHI, or how many episodes per hour your having. Also, look at yourself to see if you're primarily a nose or mouth breather when you're breathing. If you can get by with a nasal mask, maybe easier to get used to.

I have a respironics machine but not that model so I can't speak for it but others. Best of luck with this.

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help a newbie out  |  Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:41 pm

Daniel Gagner wrote:
As I did long ago... leave a low light on at night and video yourself sleeping for a few hours. Fast forward through it and see how many times you're stopping breathing and sucking air in over a period of time, say 10 minutes. From that you can get a rough (but in some cases pretty good) estimate of your AHI, or how many episodes per hour your having. Also, look at yourself to see if you're primarily a nose or mouth breather when you're breathing. If you can get by with a nasal mask, maybe easier to get used to.

I have a respironics machine but not that model so I can't speak for it but others. Best of luck with this.

That's what the Sleepyhead software is for. You are obviously not using it.

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help a newbie out  |  Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:20 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit P10, Swift FX, Swift FX Nano, Eson2
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto in S mode
Humidifier: Integrated set to 5 @ 81F; ClimateLineAir heated hose
Pressure Setting: IPAP 19 EPAP 15

LSAT wrote:
Daniel Gagner wrote:

LSAT, he did say "long ago". Pretty sure Daniel G. was saying to do that if the OP doesn't want to pay for the sleep study.

NcpCPAP, another good mask to try is the AirFit P10. It is a nasal pillows mask, it is lightweight and quiet.

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help a newbie out  |  Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:32 pm

cindyY wrote:
LSAT wrote:
Daniel Gagner wrote:

LSAT, he did say "long ago". Pretty sure Daniel G. was saying to do that if the OP doesn't want to pay for the sleep study.

NcpCPAP, another good mask to try is the AirFit P10. It is a nasal pillows mask, it is lightweight and quiet.

Even a new user would not have to go through all that if they used Sleepyhead. They would get all the information on the number of times they stopped breathing and more.

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help a newbie out  |  Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:20 pm

LSAT, I must be reading this differently. I took it as prior to starting CPAP, Daniel G. recorded himself sleeping to see if he stopped breathing and is suggesting the OP do the same.

NpcCPAP
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help a newbie out  |  Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:12 pm

Picked up the system one today. Going to thoroughly clean it, download sleepyhead and wait for my dreamwear to get here

Do you guys think investing in the Soclean2 is worth it eventually?

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help a newbie out  |  Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:35 pm

NpcCPAP wrote:
Picked up the system one today. Going to thoroughly clean it, download sleepyhead and wait for my dreamwear to get here

Personally NO. Recomondation is to clean before you disinfect. I rarely clean and don't see the need to disinfect

NpcCPAP
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help a newbie out  |  Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:48 pm

LSAT wrote:
NpcCPAP wrote:

Personally NO. Recomondation is to clean before you disinfect. I rarely clean and don't see the need to disinfect

I think with the humidifier component cleaning it would make sense. I mean warm moist air is a great place for bacteria to grow

NpcCPAP
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help a newbie out  |  Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:12 am

Tried the CPAP for the first time. How the heck are you supposed to exhale against these things? At a pressure of 4, whether I set aflex or cflex at 1,2 or 3 I still felt like it was really challenging to exhale no matter how naturally or gentle I tried to do it. I kept having to take a few seconds and breathe through my mouth. Even had my heart rate up just trying to figure out the breathing. There's gotta be something I was doing wrong

I couldn't fall asleep with it on because breathing was such a challenge

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help a newbie out  |  Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:46 am

NpcCPAP wrote:
Tried the CPAP for the first time. How the heck are you supposed to exhale against these things? At a pressure of 4, whether I set aflex or cflex at 1,2 or 3 I still felt like it was really challenging to exhale no matter how naturally or gentle I tried to do it. I kept having to take a few seconds and breathe through my mouth. Even had my heart rate up just trying to figure out the breathing. There's gotta be something I was doing wrong

I couldn't fall asleep with it on because breathing was such a challenge

I had this problem during my sleep study. Eventually they switched me from CPAP to BPAP (bilevel) I was then able to exhale more easily. My PS is 4, only one more than your highest flex setting, but I guess it really makes a difference.

NpcCPAP
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help a newbie out  |  Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:36 am

Played around with the nose pillows and tried a bigger one. I couldn't initially sleep with it, but I woke up during the night and tried again and was able to sleep with it

losprados808
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help a newbie out  |  Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:47 am

PAP Mask: ResMed Mirage Quattro
PAP Machine: ResMed Aircurve 10 S
Pressure Setting: 14/10 cmH20

Had my PSG last month, verdict: severe OSA (with possible COPD beginning to develop.) I am still waiting for my "packet" from the sleep center hospital before finding a vendor. Meanwhile, I am trying to interpret the doc's recommendation: "Warm Humidified Bilevel Resmed AirCurve 10 S or S-T at 14/10 cmH20 with a Resmed AirSense 10 Elite PAP device with autoramp on and EPR 3, heated tubing, and filters.... [etc.]" Question: Is the doc recommending I get _both_ the AirCurve 10 ST _and_ the AirSense 10 Elite? I thought these were alternative ResMed machines, the former a CPAP and the latter a BiPAP type, and that one wouldn't get both (nor would the insurer pay for both). Or might there be something simpler I have missed in trying to interpret the order as written?

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help a newbie out  |  Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:19 pm

losprados808 wrote:
Had my PSG last month, verdict: severe OSA (with possible COPD beginning to develop.) I am still waiting for my "packet" from the sleep center hospital before finding a vendor. Meanwhile, I am trying to interpret the doc's recommendation: "Warm Humidified Bilevel Resmed AirCurve 10 S or S-T at 14/10 cmH20 with a Resmed AirSense 10 Elite PAP device with autoramp on and EPR 3, heated tubing, and filters.... [etc.]" Question: Is the doc recommending I get _both_ the AirCurve 10 ST _and_ the AirSense 10 Elite? I thought these were alternative ResMed machines, the former a CPAP and the latter a BiPAP type, and that one wouldn't get both (nor would the insurer pay for both). Or might there be something simpler I have missed in trying to interpret the order as written?

Actually, the former (the AirCurve) is the bilevel, and the latter (the AirSense) is the CPAP.

It's probably an either/or situation in the event that your insurance won't pay for the bilevel.

NpcCPAP
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help a newbie out  |  Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:28 am

Any other suggestions on masks? I've yet to be able to sleep with it

CobaltSky
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help a newbie out  |  Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:27 am

PAP Mask: Aitfit P10 or Dreamwear (with a headband over lips)
PAP Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Humidifier: Integrated but without climateline hose
Pressure Setting: 9-13

I have been through a lot of masks over the years. Airfit P10 is the best I have used, but you need to get used to the pillows. Dreamwear is very comfortable, just a little more leaky as it moves slightly around my face as I move in the night, and a little louder (air channels near ears and louder/stronger exhalation port(s) x2) Probably a very good choice if you can't acclimate to the P10.

Just make sure mouth leaks are well controlled for any mask. That is my biggest difference between a good nights sleep and a so-so or even horrible night.