div id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Optimal AHI
FAQ
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:17 pm

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

AdiAbuAli
Unread post  Post subject: Optimal AHI  |  Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:26 am

Hi,
I can see that most recommend AHI<5, but since I can optimize min. Pressure and keep that figure much less, so what's the average recommended AHI for sleep apnea patients, e.g. 1-2?

Sure 0 is the best, but there might be a limit of min. Pressure not to exceed for patients to keep the tolerance...I think?

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Optimal AHI  |  Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:47 am

PAP Mask: Simplus
PAP Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
Pressure Setting: 12-20

You've heard this before...."Everyone's different"..... What's optimal for one person may not be for another. There are new users that can constantly have AHI below 1 and older users that have a hard time getting there on an occasional basis. Personally after 9 years, I am very happy averaging in the 2.0 range.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Optimal AHI  |  Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:03 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

AdiAbuAli wrote:
Hi,
I can see that most recommend AHI<5, but since I can optimize min. Pressure and keep that figure much less, so what's the average recommended AHI for sleep apnea patients, e.g. 1-2?

Sure 0 is the best, but there might be a limit of min. Pressure not to exceed for patients to keep the tolerance...I think?

My recommendation is 2 or less... mainly because if I'm under 2 (well, usually 1.5ish) I feel better, and don't notice any real difference with lower numbers, even though mine's usually under 0.5 most of the time.

5, as far as I'm concerned, is just crap. it's like being poked with a stick every 12.5 minutes, all night long.

AdiAbuAli
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Optimal AHI  |  Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:59 am

Thank you for sharing your experience...
Actually I tried to increase gradually the min. Pressure from 4 to 9.6, till I could reach the AHI 2....but I think its slightly high figure...isn't it?
P.S.: I ensured there is no leakage..

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Optimal AHI  |  Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:10 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

It's an unrealistic expectation to have AHI 0.0 night after night.
While some people do get lucky and get it there's always the chance that some awake breathing is going to get flagged by mistake and ruin a "perfect" night and there's nothing you can do about awake event flags.

Even people who haven't met the criteria to earn the OSA diagnosis will have an occasional apnea event of some sort just happen.

Also remember when you evaluate your AHI for potential pressure changes....central apneas won't/can't respond to more pressure and could potentially make them worse.
So don't go increasing the pressure trying to kill centrals.

And some centrals are normal and not bad anyway...like sleep onset centrals. It's normal to have one here and there and doesn't need anything to be done about them anyway.