Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Cheyne Stokes respiration on my reports...???
FAQ
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:43 am

Click this Affiliate Link to Support FreeCPAPAdvice when buying from Amazon. Easiest way to support us!

Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Sleepygirl23
Unread post  Post subject: Cheyne Stokes respiration on my reports...???  |  Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:49 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed F20 Touch
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense10 Auto
Humidifier: Yes
Pressure Setting: 5-8

Please bear with me, I have no idea how these forums work and I am trying to learn. I am looking for some help and or opinions. I have been on a CPAP ResMeds Airsense10 Auto CPAP for 3 months with an original pressure setting of 5-15. I have had a very difficult time adjusting. I am a mouth breather and have a full face F20 touch mask. Since about 2 months ago my doctor has lowered the pressure setting to 5-9. My AHI average is a 9ish still. Recently at my 3 month check up my doctor decided to set me up for a BIPAP sleep study since I wasn't making good progress with the CPAP. Since this appointment I have downloaded Sleepyhead and saw in a few of my daily reports Cheyne Stokes Respiration periods in about 10 different Daily reports. My doctor did not mention these at all. I come from a family with two parent with heart failure... so I am obviously worried but don't want to overreact. I will include one of those daily reports. Please let me know your thoughts. Sleepyhead said my results were "horrible"....

Attachments:
screenshot-20181228-013245.png
screenshot-20181228-013245.png [ 116.29 KiB | Viewed 753 times ]
Sleepygirl23
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Cheyne Stokes respiration on my reports...???  |  Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:36 am

Actually, anything at all you can tell me about this report will help me. I am at a loss for understanding it. So please feel free to send me your thoughts.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Cheyne Stokes respiration on my reports...???  |  Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:48 am

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

Ok, so, your pressure is *too low* to be able to control your apnea, which is why your AHI is unacceptably high.

The CSR may or may not be real, but since it's only a couple patches, I wouldn't worry about it, but I'd like to see a chart zoomed in on one of those patches (up arrow, then left and right to move backwards and forwards.)

You can up EPR to 3, and raise your pressures more... I can't see any point in having a bilevel (not bipap) machine, not with low pressures like that.

Sleepygirl23
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Cheyne Stokes respiration on my reports...???  |  Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:43 am

Thank you for answering. I am sorry I need some more information because I don't understand the abbreviations "EPR" or what you mean by
"I can't see any point in having a bilevel (not bipap) machine, not with low pressures like that."

The doctor said that basically I was failing "CPAP" and that because I could not tolerate the constant pressure and the bipap my be the answer for me.

I will zoom in on the Cheyne Stokes and include the charts...thank you in advance.

Attachments:
screenshot-20181228-134226.png
screenshot-20181228-134226.png [ 58.58 KiB | Viewed 733 times ]
screenshot-20181228-134154.png
screenshot-20181228-134154.png [ 58.5 KiB | Viewed 733 times ]
Sleepygirl23
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Cheyne Stokes respiration on my reports...???  |  Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:41 pm

I just looked up EPR and I will see if I can adjust my cpap.

mbushnoe
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Cheyne Stokes respiration on my reports...???  |  Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:01 pm

First: It will be difficult to truly define a cycle of Cheyne-Stokes using Sleepyhead, because CSR is central in nature, and you do not have any input that indicates respiratory effort (like the effort belts they use in the lab). CSR can be a whole different deal, and usually requires different treatment options.

and Second: If you are on Bi-Level PAP, you will not have an EPR setting. EPR is essentially an addition to CPAP that they've made that allowed spreads up to 3CM for patients on CPAP to increase patient comfort. If you are on BiPAP at 9I-5E, your spread is already 4CM, which is technically Bi-Level PAP. For instance, a CPAP setting of 8 with an EPR setting of 2 is essentially the same thing as setting a Bi-Level to 8I-6E. If that spread is 4 or more, its considered BiPAP, and you wont have an "EPR setting", I and E are set separately.

Best of luck.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Cheyne Stokes respiration on my reports...???  |  Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:07 pm

mbushnoe wrote:
First: It will be difficult to truly define a cycle of Cheyne-Stokes using Sleepyhead, because CSR is central in nature, and you do not have any input that indicates respiratory effort (like the effort belts they use in the lab). CSR can be a whole different deal, and usually requires different treatment options.

and Second: If you are on Bi-Level PAP, you will not have an EPR setting. EPR is essentially an addition to CPAP that they've made that allowed spreads up to 3CM for patients on CPAP to increase patient comfort. If you are on BiPAP at 9I-5E, your spread is already 4CM, which is technically Bi-Level PAP. For instance, a CPAP setting of 8 with an EPR setting of 2 is essentially the same thing as setting a Bi-Level to 8I-6E. If that spread is 4 or more, its considered BiPAP, and you wont have an "EPR setting", I and E are set separately.

Best of luck.

I can't see anything in this post that will do anything other than confuse the OP.

And, it's not at all hard to define a cycle of CSR with sleepyhead.

Last edited by diamaunt on Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Cheyne Stokes respiration on my reports...???  |  Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:12 pm

Sleepygirl23 wrote:
Thank you for answering. I am sorry I need some more information because I don't understand the abbreviations "EPR" or what you mean by
"I can't see any point in having a bilevel (not bipap) machine, not with low pressures like that."

The doctor said that basically I was failing "CPAP" and that because I could not tolerate the constant pressure and the bipap my be the answer for me.

I will zoom in on the Cheyne Stokes and include the charts...thank you in advance.

Ok. You've figured out EPR, that's the pressure drop when you exhale, you can set it up to 3, it's currently at 2.

What you're saying your doctor said makes no sense.

The only reason that your pressure is (mostly) constant is because it's *too low* and you're spending the night bumping up against the upper pressure limit. If that were raised, your pressure wouldn't be constant.

The *only* advantage that a bilevel would give you is that you can have a greater difference between inhale and exhale pressure, which can lead to more central apneas (not that you're having a problem with them at this time... )

As to what the machine is flagging as CSR... that isn't CSR, it's irregular breathing, and a lot of obstructive apneas, because your pressure is too low.

REAL CSR looks like this:

(that person was in severe congestive heart failure, and that exact screenshot is what prompted him to ignore his folksy doctor and see a cardiologist.)

mbushnoe
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Cheyne Stokes respiration on my reports...???  |  Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:31 am

diamaunt wrote:
mbushnoe wrote:

Best of luck.

I can't see anything in this post that will do anything other than confuse the OP.

Ok, well sorry for trying to help. How does sleepyhead account for effort?

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Cheyne Stokes respiration on my reports...???  |  Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:17 am

mbushnoe wrote:
diamaunt wrote:
mbushnoe wrote:

Best of luck.

Ok, well sorry for trying to help. How does sleepyhead account for effort?

Tossing out random bits of information isn't helping, it's confusing.

As to SH accounting for effort, it doesn't, the machine checks the patency of the airway. Plus, If there aren't recovery breaths after an apnea, it's very likely a central.

But beyond that, you can just look at the breath shapes, and apply a little knowledge.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Cheyne Stokes respiration on my reports...???  |  Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:06 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

mbushnoe wrote:
How does sleepyhead account for effort?

SleepyHead doesn't do the flagging of the apnea events.
SleepyHead just reports whatever the machine flags.
If you have a problem with the machine's ability to tell the difference between the naming of the events maybe read up on how the machine decides what to call something.
ResMed seems to think they have it figured out pretty accurately.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Cheyne Stokes respiration on my reports...???  |  Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:25 pm

Pugsy wrote:
mbushnoe wrote:
How does sleepyhead account for effort?

SleepyHead doesn't do the flagging of the apnea events.
SleepyHead just reports whatever the machine flags.
If you have a problem with the machine's ability to tell the difference between the naming of the events maybe read up on how the machine decides what to call something.
ResMed seems to think they have it figured out pretty accurately.

Uh oh, I think we've got a KIA "professional"... :roll:

mbushnoe wrote:
I do find it a little unusual that they kept bumping you even when you weren't sleeping. Typically I will do this with patients to the extent that they feel like they are getting enough air, and by patient request in certain cases, but usually we try to only bump you

Sleepygirl23
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Cheyne Stokes respiration on my reports...???  |  Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:11 pm

diamaunt wrote:
Sleepygirl23 wrote:

Ok. You've figured out EPR, that's the pressure drop when you exhale, you can set it up to 3, it's currently at 2.

What you're saying your doctor said makes no sense.

The only reason that your pressure is (mostly) constant is because it's *too low* and you're spending the night bumping up against the upper pressure limit. If that were raised, your pressure wouldn't be constant.

The *only* advantage that a bilevel would give you is that you can have a greater difference between inhale and exhale pressure, which can lead to more central apneas (not that you're having a problem with them at this time... )

As to what the machine is flagging as CSR... that isn't CSR, it's irregular breathing, and a lot of obstructive apneas, because your pressure is too low.

REAL CSR looks like this:

(that person was in severe congestive heart failure, and that exact screenshot is what prompted him to ignore his folksy doctor and see a cardiologist.)

I don’t know of I’m doing this quoting correctly but I wanted my answer to go to you, “diamaunt”.
Anyway, you are correct my EPR is set to “2” on the clinical menu. I have changed it to “3”.

There is another setting titled “comfort” that I switched from “standard” to “soft”. Since my original pressure was set at 5-15 but I was unable to tolerate the quick changes in pressure (they woke me up with air coming out of my mouth and then making leaks with my full face mask). This is when my pressure was lowered that first month on therapy.

Last night I did end up going to the BiPAP titration sleep study (not sure if that’s what it was called) but the tech asked me if they connected me to a machine (for titration) at my 1st sleep study and I said no. I only had wires attached to me and my apnea was mild at 6 AHI. We figured it was because of my insurance that they just ‘threw’ me an auto Cpap and a pressure of 5-15. That I had to “fail” the Cpap before they would do a titration lab. Again, bear with me here, because this is all new lingo for me. The tech believed it all had to do with my insurance that they didn’t test titrations on first study.

My original reason for going to the pulmonologist was constant fatigue, daytime sleepiness, snoring and being told I should be checked for apnea by a few doctors and others.

My doctor thought I’d be better on BiPAP (at my 3 month) because of the different/lower pressure on exhale and my poor tolerance of the higher pressure. Again, forgive me because I have little knowledge and I’m trying to understand and don’t remember the exact wording. Also, trying other masks was mentioned. I’m not really sure but I know she said my average AHI was too high still.

I think what you’re saying makes sense. The higher EPA, the “soft” setting in comfort, and higher pressure may work. I’m just not sure how much trouble I’ll be in with my insurance and/or doctor for meddling with the clinical settings?

Thank you for this help! I do really appreciate your patience!

Sleepygirl23
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Cheyne Stokes respiration on my reports...???  |  Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:27 pm

I should mention that the night of my original sleep study I think It said I only slept about 2.5 hours.

Thank you for the info about the Cheyne Stokes respiration as well.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Cheyne Stokes respiration on my reports...???  |  Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:21 am

Sleepygirl23 wrote:
I don’t know of I’m doing this quoting correctly but I wanted my answer to go to you, “diamaunt”.

You're doing fine ;)
Sleepygirl23 wrote:
Anyway, you are correct my EPR is set to “2” on the clinical menu. I have changed it to “3”.

There is another setting titled “comfort” that I switched from “standard” to “soft”. Since my original pressure was set at 5-15 but I was unable to tolerate the quick changes in pressure (they woke me up with air coming out of my mouth and then making leaks with my full face mask). This is when my pressure was lowered that first month on therapy.

Last night I did end up going to the BiPAP titration sleep study (not sure if that’s what it was called) but the tech asked me if they connected me to a machine (for titration) at my 1st sleep study and I said no. I only had wires attached to me and my apnea was mild at 6 AHI. We figured it was because of my insurance that they just ‘threw’ me an auto Cpap and a pressure of 5-15. That I had to “fail” the Cpap before they would do a titration lab. Again, bear with me here, because this is all new lingo for me. The tech believed it all had to do with my insurance that they didn’t test titrations on first study.

My original reason for going to the pulmonologist was constant fatigue, daytime sleepiness, snoring and being told I should be checked for apnea by a few doctors and others.

My doctor thought I’d be better on BiPAP (at my 3 month) because of the different/lower pressure on exhale and my poor tolerance of the higher pressure. Again, forgive me because I have little knowledge and I’m trying to understand and don’t remember the exact wording. Also, trying other masks was mentioned. I’m not really sure but I know she said my average AHI was too high still.

I think what you’re saying makes sense. The higher EPA, the “soft” setting in comfort, and higher pressure may work. I’m just not sure how much trouble I’ll be in with my insurance and/or doctor for meddling with the clinical settings?

Thank you for this help! I do really appreciate your patience!

So, I have a different theory about waking up with pressure changes than what you were probably told.

Sleep breathing events, like apneas, wake us up all night long, that's why we're bone tired and our health falters. Well, they do the same thing if your pressure is too low, but, with the added stimulus of the cpap, you wake up more, instead of not remembering the constant wakeups, you remember them, but then blame the pressure changes as what woke you up, instead of (in my opinion) blaming the breathing event that caused the pressure changes.

Plus, pressure changes are *slow* on an auto cpap, taking place over minutes of time, the compressed scale of the sleepyhead report makes it look like they're sudden, but it takes a while to happen.

If leaks are bothering you, then a mask liner for your mask will go a long way to taming the leaks (not preventing them completely, but making them quiet and easy to sleep through... Karen over at Padacheek.com makes the best ones (in my opinion) and she wants to help people, not just make a quick buck off their suffering.

The reason I don't think you've shown a *need* for a bilevel machine is that yes, they go to a higher pressure difference between inhale and exhale, and yes, they go to a higher pressure (25 instead of 20), but you've not even maxed out the capabilities of your current machine! I question the real reason that your doctor is pushing you towards a more expensive machine.... perhaps s/he's got a stake in the DME you're getting stuff from?

As far as "getting in trouble", some doctors get bitchy when their patients educate themselves and take control of their treatment. These are bad doctors, primadonnas that must not be questioned, and probably should be fired, find another doctor that says "oh, you figured out how to change things, oh, you changed things... OH! Your treatment is going much better! This is AWESOME!" They're out there.

In every case I've ever heard of, your insurance company couldn't care less, all they care about is "compliance", ie, "are you *using* the machine, They don't give a damn whether or not the treatment is *working*.

Please, continue to ask questions if there's anything that I've said that confuses you... I try not to use too much jargon or buzzwords, because that just confuses you, till you've got a basis for understanding (which will come with time).

Sleepygirl23
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Cheyne Stokes respiration on my reports...???  |  Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:45 pm

Okay and thank you for the information. I’ve read it once but will read it over a few more times. Yes, I’m not really sure either about the doctor as I don’t have any history with them. Time will tell.

But I take from what you said that:
1. I should leave EPR at 3.
2. It doesn’t matter if I switch the “response” to soft or leave it at standard.
3. I should try and raise my pressure again.

Question is if it is at 5-10 (last night) and I still had an AHI if 15.6 what pressure range would you recommend I should try?

Also, when I get the results back from my titration study I assume I will have a better range chosen for me... right?

Lol, I feel like I standing in a dark room with no windows or doors... this too shall pass Im sure. I have gotten used to the Cpap since I first started 3 months ago. Maybe I’ll tolerate the pressure now???

Thank you again for your valuable time.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Cheyne Stokes respiration on my reports...???  |  Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:18 pm

I'm not saying that you should leave the EPR at 3, for *most* people, EPR is a comfort issue, and for a lot of them, higher means better... because it gives you a lower pressure when you exhale, making it easier to do so. Feel free to experiment with it, and see how it feels *to you*...

Response, also, is a comfort thing, primarily. you'll probably get a better AHI with it at standard, because the machine will get the pressure up to where you need it quicker.

I *would* increase the max pressure... you're spending (in the pic you sent) most of the night with the machine trying to go higher to prevent the continual apneas you're having.

If it were *me*, I'd set it to a min 8 max 20, and see what happened, then post another pic.

Do remove the 'mask pressure' trace, and get the "flow limitation" one in there too, please.

Sleepygirl23
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Cheyne Stokes respiration on my reports...???  |  Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:55 pm

Ok, thank you. I’m going to give it a go!

And, I’ll try and do what you suggested in your last sentence. Not quite sure how to navigate or do that, but I will try and figure it out

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Cheyne Stokes respiration on my reports...???  |  Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:37 pm

Ah, just grab the chart by pointing over by the label on the left, left click, and drag it down.

See, we don't need *both* the pressure and mask pressure trace. they're kinda redundant, and for what you're looking at so far, the pressure trace is easier to read.

Sleepygirl23
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Cheyne Stokes respiration on my reports...???  |  Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:48 pm

Happy New Year!

By the way, I haven’t uploaded the card yet, but I woke up about an hour after falling asleep and felt like I was suffocating from the pressure. My AHI was around 12. I really felt like I needed to turn the pressure down so I changed it to 8-15 and went back to sleep. When i awoke in the morning my AHI was 25. I think I’m going to just leave it where the doctor suggested and wait for my test results because I’m not sure if I’m fighting the pressure and not breathing at all or what? Also my stomach was full of air when woke up. I did have a full face mask on and a chin strap on as well. Ugh.