FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:29 am

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

Nito
Unread post  Post subject: PLEASE HELP WITH MY FIRST SLEEPYHEAD SCREENSHOTS  |  Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:37 am

PAP Mask: Phillips Respironics Wisp
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 Auto
Humidifier: HI5
Pressure Setting: 13,6

Hi!
I just learned how to take screenshots from Sleepyhead software.
Could you Please have a look at this and give me some feedback?
My pressure is now fixed in 13,6 and even though my AIH numbers are low I still get Up with headaches, dizzyness and feeling really tired most of the days. Thanks a lot in advance for your help.
Greetings from Spain,

JUAN

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: PLEASE HELP WITH MY FIRST SLEEPYHEAD SCREENSHOTS  |  Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:17 am

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Some minor large leaks but I doubt that they are responsible for your unwanted symptoms.

On paper there's nothing standing up screaming "fix me and you will feel better" that I can see.

How about we back up and get a bit more history and see if anything there might be a factor.

How many hours of actual sleep are you getting on average?
Are those hours of sleep fragmented by very many wake ups?
Do you take any medications? If so, what?
Do you have any other health issues going on?

Nito
Unread post  Post subject: Re: PLEASE HELP WITH MY FIRST SLEEPYHEAD SCREENSHOTS  |  Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:41 am

Thanks for your quick reply Pugsy
I will try to answer your questions.
Average hours of sleep are 7-8 but I dont rest well due to nose congestion. Even though I use a nasal spray I wake up two or three times every night.
I am not taking any medicines and apart from the severe sleep apnea I was diagnosed there are no other health issues that I know of.
Any other comments will be welcome.
Thanks again Pugsy.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: PLEASE HELP WITH MY FIRST SLEEPYHEAD SCREENSHOTS  |  Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:02 am

Have you ever tried a different mask from the Wisp you are now using?
If so, which one and did it make any difference with the nasal congestion?

Is your nasal congestion something that you have all day or something that only happens at night?
Did you have issues with nasal congestion prior to starting cpap therapy?

What nasal spray are you using?

Nito
Unread post  Post subject: Re: PLEASE HELP WITH MY FIRST SLEEPYHEAD SCREENSHOTS  |  Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:11 am

Hi again!
Just today i bought a new mask: Resmed Mirage FX
I will try it tonight and see how it goes.
Nasal congestion only happens at night so far.
Never had it before unless I had a cold.
I use Sinex nasal spray from Vicks

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: PLEASE HELP WITH MY FIRST SLEEPYHEAD SCREENSHOTS  |  Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:54 am

I had nasal congestion from the Wisp itself. Didn't have it with nasal pillow masks. The congestion was from the slight weight of the cushion on the nasal turbinate area of my nose...the area where eye glasses might rest.
The least little bit of pressure in that area causes congestion for some people.
Take your fingers and put them up in that area and apply gentle pressure and see if you get congested or not and if you do see how long it takes for the congestion to go away when you take your fingers off your nose.

Also bear in mind that cpap pressure itself can affect the nasal mucosa and cause congestion either from too much or too little added moisture to the air going up your nose. Google "cpap rhinitis" and read up on it.

If you aren't using a humidifier...get one and use it.
If you are using a humidifier and have it at a relatively low setting try going higher...if using at an already higher setting try lower.
If using a middle of the road setting toss a coin but the majority of people will lean towards needing more moisture.

Humidity needs vary widely and there really isn't a right or wrong...there's only what works for each individual. I know households where both husband and wife are on cpap and one wants all the moisture they can get and the other wants as little as possible. So each person pretty much has to figure out what their nose wants.

So work on the congestion aspect of things because if we can't breathe comfortably we don't sleep so great and if we don't sleep so great we sure aren't going to feel so great despite some pretty good AHI numbers.
Good numbers don't mean much without good sleep to go along with the numbers.

Be careful with nasal spray. I am not familiar with the chemicals in the Vicks brand but look to see if it works similarly to Afrin and if it does limit your use. Google "Afrin Rebound" and read up.

Get yourself some nasal spray that is nothing but saline and use it during the day or night...much better than chemicals shrinking the nasal mucosa.
Here in the US we have a product called Simply Saline and there are various generic versions of the product. I use it daily and sometimes fairly often during the day and always at night right before I put the mask on. My nasal mucosa don't like getting dried out.

If you find out that it is the pressure from the mask on your nose that is adding to the congestion....look for a mask that doesn't touch the nasal bridge area. Nasal pillow masks are an option or if you like the cushion idea better take a look at the Respironics DreamWear nasal cushion (only touches the under side of the nose where the nostrils are) mask..they also have a nasal pillow version.

Nito
Unread post  Post subject: Re: PLEASE HELP WITH MY FIRST SLEEPYHEAD SCREENSHOTS  |  Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:56 am

First night with the new Mirage Mask was a bit better but sill some congestion left. I woke up with a red mark in my nose bridge though.
I have a Hi5 humidifier which is set at a 5 out of 6 range of humidity
There is also a saline product here that I bought but I dont use it very often
Let me try a couple of more nights with the Mirage to see how it goes.
Thanks a lot for your feedback Pugsy, I really appreciate it.

Nito
Unread post  Post subject: Re: PLEASE HELP WITH MY FIRST SLEEPYHEAD SCREENSHOTS  |  Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:18 am

The Resmed Mirage FX made me bleed last night on the bridge of my nose.
I wll change masks again, probably going for the Dreamwear.
These are my latest sleepyhead screenshots.
Any feedback will be very welcome. Thanks in advance:

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: PLEASE HELP WITH MY FIRST SLEEPYHEAD SCREENSHOTS  |  Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:51 am

How's the sleep quality itself?
Waking often?
If so, related to the leaks or something else?
Other than the obvious leaks there's not much of anything exciting with your reports data and the breaks in therapy.

Nito
Unread post  Post subject: Re: PLEASE HELP WITH MY FIRST SLEEPYHEAD SCREENSHOTS  |  Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:04 am

Actually my sleep is not bad. I am sleeping rather well I would say except from the times I wake up because of nose congestion.
The breaks in the therapy were in the past due to the fact that I removed the mask unconsciously at night but now I am more compliant and keep it on the whole night. What does "clear airway" refer to?
Thanks a lot for your help Pugsy