728x90 Scratch It & Reveal Big Saving Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - How did you Convince family members to get sleep tested?
FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:57 pm

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

SleepyHead566
Unread post  Post subject: How did you Convince family members to get sleep tested?  |  Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:10 pm

PAP Mask: Airtouch F20
PAP Machine: Res Med S10 Auto
Humidifier: Res Med
Pressure Setting: 11-20

I am extremely worried about my family members not wanting to go with a sleep test. This is especially my father, and mother who refuse to do this. My grand father is also heavily depressed and he tends to breathe from the mouth.They don't realize how detrimental it is to their health. I have brought up the idea of sleep apnea, but the carer of my grand father have shrugs it off as if it's nothing. Doctors have given my grandfather a whole range of cocktail medicines which I don't think is going to help.I am not sure why doctors tend to neglect old people? To me they are human beings too and they all require TLC. I have tried my level best to convince them to do a sleep test, but they're refusing to do it.

Any tips?

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: How did you Convince family members to get sleep tested?  |  Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:46 am

PAP Mask: Simplus
PAP Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
Pressure Setting: 12-20

Doctors are reluctant to recommend expensive sleep tests unless there are specific symptoms. Mouth breathing is not one of them.

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: How did you Convince family members to get sleep tested?  |  Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:40 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit P10, Swift FX, Swift FX Nano, Eson2
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto in S mode
Humidifier: Integrated set to 5 @ 81F; ClimateLineAir heated hose
Pressure Setting: IPAP 19 EPAP 15

Have you actually heard your family members having apneas in their sleep? If so, the next time you are with them and they fall asleep, record them having apneas and play it for them. If they don't care enough to seek treatment, then there is nothing else you can do for them until they want help.

SleepyHead566
Unread post  Post subject: Re: How did you Convince family members to get sleep tested?  |  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:52 am

PAP Mask: Airtouch F20
PAP Machine: Res Med S10 Auto
Humidifier: Res Med
Pressure Setting: 11-20

cindyY wrote:
Have you actually heard your family members having apneas in their sleep? If so, the next time you are with them and they fall asleep, record them having apneas and play it for them. If they don't care enough to seek treatment, then there is nothing else you can do for them until they want help.

I have. I have told them that both of them snore but they are reluctant of getting it tested. Like all problems, humans never think long term and don't realize how big of a problem it is until it's too late. Then we are forced to pay some overpaid doctor to pay for blood pressure medication or to regulate their heart.I always think our bodies are a self correcting system and that a good night's sleep does wonders to the body.

OldSarge
Unread post  Post subject: Re: How did you Convince family members to get sleep tested?  |  Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:09 am

PAP Mask: Quattro FX
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
Humidifier: yes
Pressure Setting: 11-16

All you can do is give them your own testimony about what treating osa has done for your life and then suggest that you believe they have symptoms and should get tested and treated. After that, they are grown adults that make their own decisions. Leave them alone about it. Constantly reminding them or insisting they get seen will only create more stress in both of your lives and relationship.

above all, remember your doctorate is probably from google and forums, not a medical school.

being overweight, snoring and mouth breathing do not mean you have osa. most of the population fits in there and most of the population don't have apnea.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: How did you Convince family members to get sleep tested?  |  Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:05 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

OldSarge wrote:
above all, remember your doctorate is probably from google and forums, not a medical school. .

If having a doctorate from a medical school was such a guarantee of quality,

THIS FORUM WOULD NOT EXIST.

https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

JackSuss
Unread post  Post subject: Re: How did you Convince family members to get sleep tested?  |  Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:53 pm

PAP Mask: resmed f20
PAP Machine: resmed airsense autoset s10

All you can do is to explain the consequences (depression is linked to osa), and hopefully you can explain what treatment has done for you.

In my case I had no idea untill my bp spiked and stayed elevated. it was only then i was referred to a sleep centre.

My ahi levels were in the low 70s. blood oxygen levels low too. now my ahi levels are often under 0.6. better than normal ppl. Of course the damage done to my heart put me at borderline hypertensive heart disease. I attribute it solely to osa.

One of my relatives snotes like a chainsaw (no exaggeration). After years of badgering, he finally got tested. ahis in themid 80s with csa. Now its just a matter of him getting used to the machine.