Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - CPAP REALLY THIS HARD ???
FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:55 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

coachtressa
Unread post  Post subject: CPAP REALLY THIS HARD ???  |  Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:10 pm

PAP Mask: Philips Respironics DREAM WEAR FULL FACE MASK
PAP Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10
Pressure Setting: BIPAP 5-10

I was diagnosed with mild Sleep Apnea(5.7 events ) and Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome.I have had a CPAP machine for a month now and have changed masks 3 times already. I cant sleep through the night with it on and I am getting less sleep now then I was before I got the CPAP. Anything else I can do? Does this ever get better? I am so tired, I dozed off at a Stop sign the other day. Thanks, Mike

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP REALLY THIS HARD ???  |  Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:36 pm
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

You can use SleepyHead to check and see if you're on the correct pressure or if you're having a mouth/ mask leak. These are the largest culprits of poor sleep when being "treated".

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

BillyHW
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP REALLY THIS HARD ???  |  Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:18 pm

PAP Mask: F&P Simplus
PAP Machine: Philips Dreamstation Auto
Pressure Setting: 12 to 20 cmH2O

Am I the only one that had a wonderful experience on CPAP?

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP REALLY THIS HARD ???  |  Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:27 pm
Site Admin

PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing

BillyHW wrote:
:) It's a good problem to have! Sure, there are plenty.

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

MNsleeper
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP REALLY THIS HARD ???  |  Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:21 pm

PAP Mask: Dreamwear nasal, FFM
PAP Machine: Phillips Respronics
Pressure Setting: 4-20

I’m in the same boat. 3 weeks in and I am still trying to figure things out. I start out the night with my ffm and invariably take it off at some point, get some actual sleep and then put it back on or switch to my nasal mask. I can get a little sleep with the masks but usually wake up after about two hours. I’ve noticed mouth leaking for sure with the nasal mask, I’m going to try a neck brace tonight to see if that can hold my jaw in place.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP REALLY THIS HARD ???  |  Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:18 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

BillyHW wrote:

Nope.
My first night, I curled up on my side, unfortunately laying partially on my right forearm. I didn't even *move* for over eight hours, I woke up in the same position... my arm ached for *weeks*.... so now I tell people to be sure to get in a good position before they go to sleep the first time.

Since then, of course, I've had difficulties and times fussing with leaks and other stuff like lots of other people do... but still, it's a huge improvement over what my life was before cpap.

Maybe part of the reason for my success was that I started out treating myself... sleep, check data, adjust machine... instead of the typical being run through the grinder of the sleep medicine establishment.

If more people in the industry were like Jason, there'd be a hell of a lot less failures on cpap.

coachtressa
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP REALLY THIS HARD ???  |  Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:54 am

I appreciate the replies. I didn't do a very good explaining my situation, the pressure has not been an issue and I only had one problem with one of the masks leaking(nasal pillows) because I breathe through my mouth. I am having a problem with having something on my face then trying to sleep with it. I read to stay up as late as u can then try going to sleep,but doesn't that mess with your sleep hygiene? Also I have tried to wear mask before bed to get use to it,but a month in and I cant stand the masks,.Any ideas? How long did it take for some of you? Thanks

AirMech74
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP REALLY THIS HARD ???  |  Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:30 am

PAP Mask: Resmed AirFit N20
PAP Machine: Airsense 10 Autoset
Humidifier: HumidAir (comes with machine)
Pressure Setting: 14cmH2O

BillyHW wrote:

I'm with ya...been on cpap for about a month now...I feel good...I look forward to going to bed now...wife is happy as well...no more LOUD snoring keeping her up at night. Will have no issues with the 90 day compliance, I avg about 7 hrs every night.

I think the key for me was that I was able to try it before having a titration, and knowing what to expect...I was able to try several different masks before being prescribed.....I use and love the Airfit N20 and F20 as my back up. My only complaint about the N20...I wish they would redesign the "exhaust" ports...I wish they were more like the F20.

MNsleeper
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP REALLY THIS HARD ???  |  Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:10 am

Do you have any issues with the N20 and air escaping your mouth?

coachtressa
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP REALLY THIS HARD ???  |  Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:55 pm

So last night I wore the mask for 7 hours and 2 mins, longest time by far since I have had the machine a month. I didn't feel like I got any sleep, and felt no different then when I don't use the machine. I thought I would feel good and refreshed,how is this possible?I was happy I finally wore the mask for more then 2 hours,but was expecting different results. My EVENTS PER HOUR WAS 2.2 IF THAT HELPS?

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP REALLY THIS HARD ???  |  Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:41 pm
Site Admin

coachtressa wrote:
So last night I wore the mask for 7 hours and 2 mins, longest time by far since I have had the machine a month. I didn't feel like I got any sleep, and felt no different then when I don't use the machine. I thought I would feel good and refreshed,how is this possible?I was happy I finally wore the mask for more then 2 hours,but was expecting different results. My EVENTS PER HOUR WAS 2.2 IF THAT HELPS?
The machine reported events per hour really don't matter all that much. If you look through the data you want to identify specific airflow abnormalities and rapid spikes in the airflow. These can be keys to problems. It can be difficult if you're not used to looking at this stuff, but I have several videos with "sleepyhead" in the title that show you what to look for. Some are fairly recent.

Basically, it's possible that you're not on the correct pressure, or that you have a leak or even periodic leaks.

Another possibility is that there is another reason for your sleepiness that isn't related to some form of apnea.

diamaunt wrote:
If more people in the industry were like Jason, there'd be a hell of a lot less failures on cpap.
Thank you diamaunt. I appreciate that. Luckily we have CPAP users that are extremely helpful in online forums that make up for less than helpful people in "the industry". :)

MNsleeper
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP REALLY THIS HARD ???  |  Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:21 am

I’m in the same boat, can’t really sleep with the mask for more than a few hours. I am on my third week and keep trying new things but I haven’t had that full night yet. I don’t really feel too different either. I am at about an average of 6:30 per night. I’m not really sleepy during the day and wasn’t before so I don’t really know if this is helping me or not.

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP REALLY THIS HARD ???  |  Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:34 pm

PAP Mask: Simplus
PAP Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
Pressure Setting: 12-20

MNsleeper wrote:
I’m in the same boat, can’t really sleep with the mask for more than a few hours. I am on my third week and keep trying new things but I haven’t had that full night yet. I don’t really feel too different either. I am at about an average of 6:30 per night. I’m not really sleepy during the day and wasn’t before so I don’t really know if this is helping me or not.

Your profile says your pressure setting is 4/20...that may be your problem. If you would download Sleephead Software we could see if there are adjustments that could benefit you.

MNsleeper
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP REALLY THIS HARD ???  |  Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:06 am

I’m on the road now but when I get home I will download sleepyhead.

Barron1961
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP REALLY THIS HARD ???  |  Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:16 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed AirTouch F20
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Auto
Humidifier: ResMed Humidaire
Pressure Setting: 10-14 cm H2O

It took me about two months of using my CPAP before I slept through the night the first time. I have heard others say it took them over a year while others stated they were sleeping through the night from the very beginning. The point is, don’t give up! Try different masks till you find one that works for you. Download Sleepyhead and make adjustments to your machine. Several people here can help with that. Keep plugging away and keep trying new things until you find what works for you. It is totally worth the effort and time in the end.

MNsleeper
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP REALLY THIS HARD ???  |  Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:04 pm

Attachment:
screenshot-20180611-134119.png
screenshot-20180611-134119.png [ 93.87 KiB | Viewed 4342 times ]

Attachment:
screenshot-20180611-134227.png
screenshot-20180611-134227.png [ 94.28 KiB | Viewed 4342 times ]

Attachment:
screenshot-20180611-134151.png
screenshot-20180611-134151.png [ 92.54 KiB | Viewed 4342 times ]

I got the software and hopefully this uploads correctly for data from last night

coachtressa
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP REALLY THIS HARD ???  |  Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:26 pm

I am not computer savvy, how do I get the data you have on the above post on here for others to look at and help? Thanks, Mike

MNsleeper
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP REALLY THIS HARD ???  |  Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:41 pm

In the Sleepyhead program you can save screenshots to your computer. Then click the Full Editor button below the message box and you can upload those images and include them inline. Thats all I did.

coachtressa
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP REALLY THIS HARD ???  |  Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:27 pm

thanks, I will probably still mess it up..lol

coachtressa
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP REALLY THIS HARD ???  |  Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:06 pm

can I download it on a Mac Book?