div id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Questions. I only have "witnessed" apnea.
FAQ
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:12 pm

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

hughhamm
Unread post  Post subject: Questions. I only have "witnessed" apnea.  |  Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:46 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed nasal pillow Medium size
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10
Humidifier: Built in to Airsense 10 set to 4
Pressure Setting: minimum setting at 4 on apap setting

To start I hope this is in the right place. I am 41 years old. 6'2" and around 250 lbs. For the last few years I have been tired pretty much every day. I was pretty active and to some extent still am when I am not tired. I am single so the S.O. cant tell me if I have been, you know, not breathing. My cousin that is a critical care nurse in the navy and was stationed near me and I made it a habit to visit her about once a month. She told me that sometimes I snore and that I even had stopped breathing. I talked to by DR. about a sleep study and at that time the $ was not right for a sleep study. I know your health has no greater value, trust me my cousin keeps saying that.
So a guy at work came across a Resmed Airsense 10 and let me use it for a few weeks to see if it helped. After a good cleaning and some digging around on here I tried it out. but I don't think I am using it right. I think I set it to a minimum of 4 and on auto. The first two nights I did feel better. It has the nose pillow mask and it fits well and is somewhat comfortable. I can get to sleep with it on but I was letting the pressure out of my mouth and think I might be opening my mouth when I sleep. And I think that is wrong, Correct?? If the therapy helps I will go get a sleep study if that is needed. I will be downloading the sleepyhead software and getting the results posted and see what this community has to say about them.
I guess as the loaner of this machine is wanting it back to sale it. My next question would be could I use this Airsense 10 to figure out a pressure that will work for me on a non auto-setting machine? I have one of those but was scared to try it and get something wrong. I am looking into a chinstrap to try with this machine to see if it helps. If indeed i am not supposed to be letting the air out of my mouth during therapy. I hope that the cpap will help me, I want it to. Thanks for any input on this. I am going to try it again tonight and record the findings and try to get them uploaded using sleepyhead

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Questions. I only have "witnessed" apnea.  |  Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:35 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

No, you shouldn't lose air out of your mouth... some people tape their lips, or wear a cloth headband across their lips, or wear a mask that covers mouth and nose.

You could buy another Airsense 10 (preferably autoset) and continue treating yourself. I've been doing it for 9 years.

Post some charts off sleepyhead. (info in my sig).

hughhamm
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Questions. I only have "witnessed" apnea.  |  Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:35 am

Thanks for the reply. Last night I made an effort to keep my mouth closed. I wore a oxygen meter that my grandmother has (She is 93 and has dementia and been staying with her 6 nights a week, that's another story) just so that mentally i would know that i was breathing and getting oxygen. Man! I feel rested this A.M. This could be great! I really hope for this to work! LOL I did wake up twice but mask was still on and i just went back to sleep after a bit. But the one thing different about last night was I remember dreaming; something that I haven't done for a while.
I will get numbers up if the machine recorded as it should have. I do not have a card reader on this computer but got one at home. And tonight is my night at my house. The headband is a great Idea. I stopped at 4 pharmacies yesterday looking for a chinstrap to try with no luck. I don't know if I opened my mouth last night or not but I am getting a headband today to try it out tonight. Thank you for that Idea I was going to try an ace bandage but the headband sounds like a better alternative.

schatz
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Questions. I only have "witnessed" apnea.  |  Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:21 am

PAP Mask: dream wear nasal
PAP Machine: resmed elite 10 autoset
Humidifier: resmed
Pressure Setting: 4 to 20

hughhamm wrote:
To start I hope this is in the right place. I am 41 years old. 6'2" and around 250 lbs. For the last few years I have been tired pretty much every day. I was pretty active and to some extent still am when I am not tired. I am single so the S.O. cant tell me if I have been, you know, not breathing. My cousin that is a critical care nurse in the navy and was stationed near me and I made it a habit to visit her about once a month. She told me that sometimes I snore and that I even had stopped breathing. I talked to by DR. about a sleep study and at that time the $ was not right for a sleep study. I know your health has no greater value, trust me my cousin keeps saying that.
So a guy at work came across a Resmed Airsense 10 and let me use it for a few weeks to see if it helped. After a good cleaning and some digging around on here I tried it out. but I don't think I am using it right. I think I set it to a minimum of 4 and on auto. The first two nights I did feel better. It has the nose pillow mask and it fits well and is somewhat comfortable. I can get to sleep with it on but I was letting the pressure out of my mouth and think I might be opening my mouth when I sleep. And I think that is wrong, Correct?? If the therapy helps I will go get a sleep study if that is needed. I will be downloading the sleepyhead software and getting the results posted and see what this community has to say about them.
I guess as the loaner of this machine is wanting it back to sale it. My next question would be could I use this Airsense 10 to figure out a pressure that will work for me on a non auto-setting machine? I have one of those but was scared to try it and get something wrong. I am looking into a chinstrap to try with this machine to see if it helps. If indeed i am not supposed to be letting the air out of my mouth during therapy. I hope that the cpap will help me, I want it to. Thanks for any input on this. I am going to try it again tonight and record the findings and try to get them uploaded using sleepyhead

I tried using my resmed on my wife a couple weeks ago, and at the same time she saw her doctor and was given an in home tester. So I figured this would be a perfect opportunity to try the program out on her and compare the sleep studies to each other. And I was surprised to find that the sleepyhead program and home sleep studies were very similar. the doctor recommend that she does a lab study next because her apneas were not showing very many events and my own sleep study using the Sleepyhead program showed an AHI of .86. I told her after a night with my Resmed that I don't think that apnea is her problem. She has not done the lab study yet, but was amazed at how accurate and helpful the sleepyhead program and the new CPAP machines are. So I highly recommend using the Sleepy head program and the loaner Resmed to figure your issues out. Also got the chin strap from Amazon but it turned out not to be an issue with me. So I guess I was lucky ,but I realized my leaking through mouth wasn't my issue. Highly recommend this Sleepyhead, especially since you don't sleep with another person regularly to tell you what you are doing throughout the night. The next morning just put the card in computer, and there it is, very handy for those that sleep alone. Good luck.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Questions. I only have "witnessed" apnea.  |  Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:41 am

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Remember SleepyHead only shows what the machine records and what it is recording is the number of events that slipped past the defenses and happened.
It does NOT tell us how many apnea events were prevented.
Sleep studies done without cpap are the best way to actually know how many apnea events happened without cpap.
Using the machine all you get is what the machine didn't prevent.

You can't really compare a SleepyHead machine report to a diagnostic sleep study.

schatz
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Questions. I only have "witnessed" apnea.  |  Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:05 am

PAP Mask: dream wear nasal
PAP Machine: resmed elite 10 autoset
Humidifier: resmed
Pressure Setting: 4 to 20

Pugsy wrote:
Remember SleepyHead only shows what the machine records and what it is recording is the number of events that slipped past the defenses and happened.
Sleep studies done without cpap are the best way to actually know how many apnea events happened without cpap.

You can't really compare a SleepyHead machine report to a diagnostic sleep study.

True, but is a clue I figure, or get a Fitbit Charge another clue might be found in their sleep algorithym as this is what led me down this road. Thanks and good luck. I am just an iron loader who is prone to socially unacceptable outbursts. Forgive me.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Questions. I only have "witnessed" apnea.  |  Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:29 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

schatz wrote:
Pugsy wrote:

True, but is a clue I figure, .

No, it's not a clue. Sleepyhead says that the cpap is working well.

The clue would be whether your wife feels better using it than when she doesn't.

hughhamm
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Questions. I only have "witnessed" apnea.  |  Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:17 pm

Well after a busy weekend I am finally sitting down to try to upload files. I was more awake and productive at work today, and even had energy to do some things around the house. I am all on board with this machine. I have bought a used on off the internet, now I just need to get the hose and nose pillow setup. Of course I still have the loaner and will till my stuff arrives. Feel stupid for not looking into this sooner and have gotten the " I told you so" from my cousin LOL. But for now I am going to try and manage on my own with the machine. With the new found energy I hope to get back into the gym and lose the 35 lbs I have been trying to. I am going to try to post pictures from sleepyhead here and in the help forum if all goes well. Things are looking up for once and it feels good. Think I even have two friends talked into looking into it as well.

Another thing I bought a sports hair band and used that as a chinstrap worked great so far.

And I paid 140 for a use airsense 10 I hope that was a good deal??? It is on the way either way.

Thank you all for the input and continued support. probably gets said a lot around here but I feel better than I have in probably 2-3 years and hope the trend keeps going :D

hughhamm
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Questions. I only have "witnessed" apnea.  |  Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:36 pm

Ok After getting the headband chinstrap and the machine up and going on sleepyhead this is some results. I tweaked the machine a little on the 19th. I still need to get to bead earlier....I know. But feel better than I have in a long time for sure. Any insight to the findings would be great.

Attachments:
6-19-18.png
6-19-18.png [ 260.69 KiB | Viewed 1059 times ]
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 254.3 KiB | Viewed 1059 times ]
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 270.85 KiB | Viewed 1059 times ]
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 280.43 KiB | Viewed 1059 times ]
hughhamm
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Questions. I only have "witnessed" apnea.  |  Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:38 pm

To me It looks like the pressure stayed more at a constant on the 19th only spiking when needed. Would that be a good thought process?

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Questions. I only have "witnessed" apnea.  |  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:17 am

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Yep, good thought process.
I can't see your Flow Limitation graph but I am betting that at the times of the pressure increases your FL graph probably looks a little busier also.
Not unexpected since Flow Limitations are part of the auto adjusting algorithm's fight list....one of the criteria for increasing the pressure.
Might be when you were on your back or might be REM stage sleep...both of which can cause OSA to worsen and a need for more pressure at those times more so than when compared to other times.

Looking good....hopefully sleeping better and feeling better???

hughhamm
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Questions. I only have "witnessed" apnea.  |  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:20 am

Feeling great!! Thanks for the input. Must be actually getting to REM sleep because I am dreaming more. Now to just get to bed earlier. But even on reduced sleep I feel better.