div id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Expected outcomes
FAQ
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:56 pm

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

SCMedic85943
Unread post  Post subject: Expected outcomes  |  Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:15 pm

I'm a paramedic, so by trade, I tend to have a very good understanding of body systems and physiology. I also, tend to usually have a heads up as to what I'm walking into prior to getting there. However, for some reason I seem doubtful about this sleep study thing. A whole lot of what ifs and quite frankly it's the money involved. I don't want to waste the money on the study and all the related if not needed and nothing can be done except maybe hit the gym.

My symptoms are: getting kicked out of bed for snoring, toss and turn all night, wake up feeling like absolute crap with no motivation and a raging neck/headache, horrible taste in my mouth from snoring. Wife says I snore like crazy, but never notices any apnea (she's an RRT). I've downloaded apps that have mics recording while you sleep, I snore ALL night, with no notes obvious apnea. Some snoring louder than other. Again, with the apps recording, no signs of apnea.my ESS is 17.

I'm just curious slash anxious that I'm wasting my time with all of this and will just end up wasting money. I'm fine with CPAP if that's the fix, however my mom has it implanted in my wife's head that CPAP machines will keep her from sleeping even worse than my snoring. I'm not familiar with how loud they are.

What are yalls thoughts and input?

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Expected outcomes  |  Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:39 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

SCMedic85943 wrote:
hit the gym.

that won't do you any good.

SCMedic85943 wrote:
My symptoms are: getting kicked out of bed for snoring,

get a machine, let your wife get some rest, and at the very least, you'll feel better because you're not fighting for breath all night long.

buy a used resmed autoset(s9 or airsense 10 model), download sleepyhead, post some charts and we'll help you get it tuned for your needs, and then peace can prevail.

SCMedic85943 wrote:
however my mom has it implanted in my wife's head that CPAP machines will keep her from sleeping even worse than my snoring.

there's a technical term for what your mom is saying.... that term is:

HOGWASH

modern machines are practically silent, far quieter than snoring.

SCMedic85943 wrote:
What are yalls thoughts and input?

I stuck my spare machine on my partner, because he snored so loud, it was disturbing if he was in another room... much less the same bed.

SCMedic85943
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Expected outcomes  |  Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:11 pm

Oh yeah, being around vents Bipaps and using cpaps on patients all the time I'm aware about my mom. She's my mom, we usually just shrug it off.

My biggest concern is what will come of all this. Already have a sleep test scheduled for this Wednesday. My doc wanted to do an at home test, he sounded pretty convinced I should just go ahead and take a script for a machine. But wanted to do an at home, I'm not complaining. Sleep at home in my bed vs sleep in a weird bed on weird pillows.

Brutus
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Expected outcomes  |  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:58 am

PAP Mask: Resmed Swift Fx, also tried a F&P Plairo
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
Pressure Setting: 5 to 12cmH2O

G'day mate,
I haven't been in here for some time. Reading the original post has brought back some memories for me.

Struggling to get up in the morning....that was me. I'd set an alarm for the morning, it would go off, I'd turn it off and go back to sleep. Getting up was a real battle.

Both the significant other and I both snored so who ever got to sleep first got the most. We are both on CPAP machines now. She says mine is louder than hers but I don't hear it. lol They are both Resmed S9's.

Soon as I started treatment things changed, compared with earlier, I was jumping out of bed to meet the world.

While the $ is always a factor, it's good to be able to rule things in or out.

I wouldn't consider sleeping without my machine now.

Brutus aka Brian

SCMedic85943
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Expected outcomes  |  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:55 am

thanks for the input. I'm going to follow through with it and the overwhelming consensus is the that I'll be looking at ditching cash on a machine.

sjbowlen
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Expected outcomes  |  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:45 pm

PAP Mask: Swift FX Nano
PAP Machine: dream station
Humidifier: heated
Pressure Setting: 10

I can't imagine that sleep deprivation is helping you on the job. The one thing I noticed most in my deprived state was difficulty in thinking, word finding and concentration. Jason did a video on finding equipment that is less expensive. If your functioning improves and your wife welcomes you back in bed, it is a bargain at any cost.

TonySee
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Expected outcomes  |  Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:14 pm

PAP Mask: PR GoLife, SW Elan, Dreamwear
PAP Machine: ResMed Airsense C Autoset
Humidifier: ResMed Climate Control Kit
Pressure Setting: 8cm H2O

FWIW, my wife much prefers the soft susurration (she used to be an English teacher) of the CPAP machine to my snoring and occasionally listening to me NOT breathing, and jabbing me in the side!

She hasn't slept so well in years.

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Expected outcomes  |  Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:45 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit P10, Swift FX, Swift FX Nano, Eson2
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto in S mode
Humidifier: Integrated set to 5 @ 81F; ClimateLineAir heated hose
Pressure Setting: IPAP 19 EPAP 15

So SCMedic, how'd it go? Did you get your sleep study results? Are you on treatment? If so, how are doing? Do you need any help?