Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Just got my Sleep Study results ... Help?!
FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:26 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

BadMotivator
Unread post  Post subject: Just got my Sleep Study results ... Help?!  |  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:24 pm

PAP Mask: Airfit N10, Dreamwear
PAP Machine: Dreamstation APAP
Humidifier: Dreamstation
Pressure Setting: 8 - 18

So, I got my results back earlier this week from a split study.
Diagnostic portion: 15 Central, 82 Obstructive, 26 Mixed and 63 Hypopneas = Index of 91.1
Therapeutic portion: 14 Central, 13 Obstructive, 6 Mixed and 55 Hypopneas = Index of 34.2 (started at 5cm H2O, titrated to 18cm C-Flex at +2)
Active side sleeper, full facial hair, often have sinus issues (stuffiness, allergies, etc), severe claustrophobia, travel a lot for work w/ overnights (I think that's all the extra info needed ... Lemme know if I missed anything)

I'm headed to my doctor's on the 19th. Good news, she is generally amenable to whatever I suggest. Bad news, she doesn't really have opinions or suggestions of her own on many of my visits.

What kind of questions should I be asking? Is there a certain type of PAP I should strive for? The 34.2 during the therapeutic seems still high, or am I just panicking?

Thanks all. Just a bit stressed over the results. I knew I had a problem, but this looks a lot worse than I had imagined.

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Just got my Sleep Study results ... Help?!  |  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:19 pm
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

BadMotivator wrote:
The 34.2 during the therapeutic seems still high, or am I just panicking?
That number represents all pressures sampled. Not the one that is optimal. If you require 16cmH20, you are going to have events from 5 all the way up to 14 or 15cmH20. The report should break down the AHI and RDI on each individual pressure sampled. That is what you want to compare it to.

BadMotivator wrote:
What kind of questions should I be asking? Is there a certain type of PAP I should strive for?
Auto Titrating CPAP (APAP) is what you should go for. Dreamstation Auto is what I would get: https://www.amazon.com/Respironics-dx500t11-Former-Model-known/dp/B017S0PDGA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471209235&sr=8-1&keywords=dreamstation+auto+cpap

ResMed also makes and Autoset called the AirSense 10 Autoset. It's a little more aggressive, so I prefer the Dreamstation, but they're both very nice and allow for viewing your data on SleepyHead.

I don't really have any questions that you should ask. Looks like your diagnosis is in the severe range. Just make sure you use a heated humidifier and take your time in choosing a mask that is comfortable and fits well.

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

BadMotivator
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Just got my Sleep Study results ... Help?!  |  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:29 pm

Thank you, sir.

trish6hundred
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Just got my Sleep Study results ... Help?!  |  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:25 pm

PAP Mask: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
PAP Machine: Resmed S9AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: H5I
Pressure Setting: Titrated Pressure is 10 CM-H2O, I use a range of 7/20 CM-H2O.

Hi BadMotivator,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I would opt for the APAP, too. You can either run an APAP in straight CPAP, (fixed presure,) or, you can run it in APAP, where you set a range of pressures, EG. 7-20 CMH2O. I hope I didn’t confuse you, (Ha-Ha.)
Good luck to you at your Doc appointment and also with your CPAP therapy.

BadMotivator
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Just got my Sleep Study results ... Help?!  |  Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:52 am

Just got out of a conference call with my insurance, Health Plan of Nevada, and the sole DME they cover, Preferred Homecare. I was told that they only carry straight CPAP machines. There were no choice options, only what they had on the shelves. My out of pocket would be about $150 up front, plus $45 a month for 13 months. :x

I can get the Dreamstation Auto for cheaper if I go out of pocket.

If Aaron chooses to get abused by the system, go to page 14.

If Aaron says, "*#%$@!!" and just pays for it himself, go to page 77.

(Imma head on over to page 77 ...)

JasonInAlaska
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Just got my Sleep Study results ... Help?!  |  Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:06 pm

PAP Mask: DreamWear by Philips Respironics
PAP Machine: DreamStation Auto CPAP Machine by Philips Respironics
Humidifier: DreamStation Heated Humidifier & heated hose by Philips Respironics
Pressure Setting: 9-18

That's crap! They should let you go through whomever you choose. I've seen an online place that will rent an APAP for $100/35 days (though I think they ask for a security deposit) if they insist on 3 months rental for proof of usage before they will buy it. Good luck finding a way to get to page 35.

BadMotivator
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Just got my Sleep Study results ... Help?!  |  Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:41 pm

Just pulled the trigger. Ordered a DreamStation Auto CPAP DSX500T11 for about $200 less than I would have paid for a brick.

Lefty and everyone here ... Thank you for your help. When I was diagnosed I was more than off-kilter. I would have happily paid the DME whatever they demanded. This has given me a lot of confidence in a scary time.

P.S. - Grabbed a Dreamwear to start with. Now I just need to find a full face mask for the allergy days.

Thanks again!

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Just got my Sleep Study results ... Help?!  |  Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:15 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

good job!

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Just got my Sleep Study results ... Help?!  |  Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:22 pm
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

BadMotivator wrote:
Just pulled the trigger. Ordered a DreamStation Auto CPAP DSX500T11 for about $200 less than I would have paid for a brick.
Nice!! :)

BadMotivator wrote:
When I was diagnosed I was more than off-kilter. I would have happily paid the DME whatever they demanded. This has given me a lot of confidence in a scary time.
Kinda like how I felt when water was spraying everywhere and the plumber quoted me $1200 to fix it now or I should start building an ark. Brief panic where I seriously considered....then "get the F### out." Turned of the water at the main. Quick YouTube search and trip to Home Depot and I saved about $1150.

I'm glad that you kept a level head and turned to page 77! :)

Best of luck to you just getting started out. If you even have a question, don't hesitate to ask!

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Just got my Sleep Study results ... Help?!  |  Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:12 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

TheLankyLefty wrote:
Kinda like how I felt when water was spraying everywhere and the plumber quoted me $1200 to fix it now or I should start building an ark. Brief panic where I seriously considered....then "get the F### out." Turned of the water at the main. Quick YouTube search and trip to Home Depot and I saved about $1150.

ah, yes, the panic surcharge, the more panicked you look, the higher the surcharge ;)

JasonInAlaska
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Just got my Sleep Study results ... Help?!  |  Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:42 am

TheLankyLefty wrote:
BadMotivator wrote:
What kind of questions should I be asking? Is there a certain type of PAP I should strive for?
Auto Titrating CPAP (APAP) is what you should go for. Dreamstation Auto is what I would get: https://www.amazon.com/Respironics-dx500t11-Former-Model-known/dp/B017S0PDGA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471209235&sr=8-1&keywords=dreamstation+auto+cpap

Wait--a new, currednt model APAP with heated humidity for $428? Wow--I was impressed with finding it for under $1000 at some of the online DMEs. My local DME wants almost $4000 for it. Thanks for sharing this link. My 3 month trial rental isn't over, but I think I can come out money ahead by just buying this and forgetting about the rental.

BadMotivator
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Just got my Sleep Study results ... Help?!  |  Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:34 pm

Jason, be sure to check. Some of the dealers didn't include the humidifier.

I'm not endorsing them, but CpapSupplies was the one I went with. Humidifier, hoses included at 444 or so. Don't know if you can get the free shipping way up there, but here's to hoping.

JasonInAlaska
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Just got my Sleep Study results ... Help?!  |  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:56 pm

BadMotivator wrote:

I'm not endorsing them, but CpapSupplies was the one I went with. Humidifier, hoses included at 444 or so. Don't know if you can get the free shipping way up there, but here's to hoping.

<Rant>Yeah, we get screwed on shipping up here all the time. What is asinine is I've had companies refuse to ship me something USPS--it doesn't cost a dime more to ship to Alaska than it does to ship it to the house across town. UPS and FedEx ship up here, too. If it costs them a little more, charge me more, but don't exclude me.</Rant>

There were two places offering $428. One upped the price to $550 before I could check out and the other refused to ship to me. I ended up going with Fullerton Medical who offered it for $450 (free shipping, humidifier, and SD card included). Guess I might need to order a heated hose. It hasn't shipped yet. I'll post something once I see what I do actually get.

Now I see that Fitness Lifestyle Company is offering it for $389.20

5280meow
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Just got my Sleep Study results ... Help?!  |  Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:16 pm

PAP Mask: Philips Respironics DreamWear
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: built-in heated humidifier
Pressure Setting: 13.0cm/H2O during sleep study

I bought my husband a Resmed Airsense Autoset 10 machine (I have the "For Her" version) from a dude on Craigslist for less than $300. My machine was over $1200 through the DME company. The machine I bought the huz had fewer than 500 hours on it.

I bought a new Climateline tubing and a new humidifier chamber. We have been careful because obviously the Craigslist machine has no warranty, but so far knock on wood.

I have a friend in Little Rock AR that needs a CPAP really bad. I'm trying to save up money to help buy her one and mail it to her. She is a single mother and really struggling. If anyone knows any charities or organizations that could help her, please PM me.

5280meow
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Just got my Sleep Study results ... Help?!  |  Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:19 pm

PAP Mask: Philips Respironics DreamWear
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: built-in heated humidifier
Pressure Setting: 13.0cm/H2O during sleep study

JasonInAlaska wrote:
BadMotivator wrote:

<Rant>Yeah, we get screwed on shipping up here all the time. What is asinine is I've had companies refuse to ship me something USPS--it doesn't cost a dime more to ship to Alaska than it does to ship it to the house across town. UPS and FedEx ship up here, too. If it costs them a little more, charge me more, but don't exclude me.</Rant>

There were two places offering $428. One upped the price to $550 before I could check out and the other refused to ship to me. I ended up going with Fullerton Medical who offered it for $450 (free shipping, humidifier, and SD card included). Guess I might need to order a heated hose. It hasn't shipped yet. I'll post something once I see what I do actually get.

Now I see that Fitness Lifestyle Company is offering it for $389.20

JasonInAK, I spent 7 years in the Aleutian Islands. I loved it, but it was damn near impossible to get people to ship to us. I still patronize companies like Sephoraa, Zappos, and Paula's Choice because they were decent enough to ship stuff USPS. We had a very hard time getting FedEx or UPS packages out to where I was.