Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - dreams
FAQ
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:11 pm

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

Thana57
Unread post  Post subject: dreams  |  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:33 am

Thank you!! :D I have had multiple sleep tests done and it seems to be vague as to what my problem really is. Idiopathic, lol, in other words we have no clue! My sleep doc has recommended cpap but I have remained unconvinced that it would be a solution for me. I thought that my sleepiness and fatigue is probably a medical problem that I would rather spend my time and effort in discovering, especially since the test with the cpap machine was such a disaster. I did not tolerate it at all, and no positive results came out of the test. BUT when I watched the video on dreaming it changed my mind. I consistently remember my dreams and they are always from stressful to all out horrible. So I will call today and set up my appointment to get my machine. Also thanks for all the info so I know at least something when I go. One question, I have fairly consistent nighttime and upon waking headaches that always start at the back of my neck. Is this a common thing with apnea?

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: dreams  |  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:53 am

PAP Mask: AirFit P10, Swift FX, Swift FX Nano, Eson2
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto in S mode
Humidifier: Integrated set to 5 @ 81F; ClimateLineAir heated hose
Pressure Setting: IPAP 19 EPAP 15

Hi, I have seen multiple posts about people having really bad headaches, so I'm guessing some people have this reaction with sleep apnea. It makes sense, really, with the lack of real sleep, the lack of oxygen, and the length of time people have sleep apnea before it is diagnosed and treated. I'm glad you're giving CPAP a try, the sleep test is always difficult the first time they put a mask on you. I felt like I was fighting to breathe the whole time I had the mask on. Once I got my equipment, it was still difficult adjusting for a little while, but once I got used to the pressure, it was a lot easier.

Good luck!

Sleep2snore
Unread post  Post subject: Re: dreams  |  Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:35 pm

PAP Mask: Nasal Pillows - Swift FX
PAP Machine: Remstar Airsense 10 Autoset / Remstar Auto Cflex APAP as back up!
Humidifier: Also F&P stand alone (Used with back-up machine).
Pressure Setting: 10 - 20

Some people don't have dreams at all when they are suffering from sleep apnea, some have hallucinations though due to the lack of oxygen to their brains, others though have nightmares. I think the nightmares is the brains way of trying to say there is something wrong, wake up! :(

Chunkyfrog
Unread post  Post subject: Re: dreams  |  Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:31 pm

PAP Mask: P10
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset For Her
Humidifier: Built-in
Pressure Setting: 9.2-13

Bad dreams since childhood:
Being chased, running uphill, drowning, or being faced with an impossible (and strenuous) task. Some downright bizzarre! Waking up with such a eapid pulse, that I needed to get up and calm down before going back to sleep. Since cpap, nightmares almost completely gone. I don't miss those dreams.

RicaLynn
Unread post  Post subject: Re: dreams  |  Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:45 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10
PAP Machine: S9 AutoSet for Her
Pressure Setting: Auto, 6-9

My father had severe apnea (undiagnosed until his late 50's -- AHI north of 100 with monstrous desats) and because he was a born story teller his dreams/nightmares were the stuff of legend. He dreamt one night that he was being chased by the creature from the Legend of Boggy Swamp. He woke in a cold sweat on the floor, only to hear the "creature" chasing him once more. It was my mother, also apneic, snoring on the other side of the bed!!!

Chunkyfrog
Unread post  Post subject: Re: dreams  |  Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:13 pm

PAP Mask: P10
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset For Her
Humidifier: Built-in
Pressure Setting: 9.2-13

Allright, here it comes--I dreamed that kittens were being possessed by demons--and I had to kill them with a pickaxe. And my 10 year old grandson was begging me to stop!
Once we visited my grandmother, and due to a shortage of beds , I wound up sleeping with grandma. I dreamed I was on a helicopter ride, and woke up to hear grandma snoring like a chopper. I told this fine tale at breakfast, and slept alone for the rest of our visit.

Jazzncats
Unread post  Post subject: Re: dreams  |  Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:07 pm

I have had very vivid dreams since I was quite young. My husband said I should write a book about them. I'very been on CPAP for 3 months and still get them. Some have a repetitive theme, some are "right out of the blue". I do feel that I'm sleeping much better with CPAP, but perhaps dealing with dreams is just your subconscious talking symbolically about unresolved issues.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: dreams  |  Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:33 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

Remembering dreams means you're not sleeping through them.

https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

Jazzncats
Unread post  Post subject: Re: dreams  |  Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:54 pm

diamaunt, I'm due for my first checkup so it's possible some adjustments are needed.

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: dreams  |  Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:59 pm
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

Dreams are remembered when you wake from them. (according to studies done with dreams) People are awoken from various stages of sleep and asked if they remember a dream, and if so what was it.

Out of REM sleep people remember "video" like dreams and can recall action.

Out of Non REM sleep (mostly only delta) people remember photograph like dreams....just a still image/thought, but nothing dynamic.

Most people will just remember the dream right before waking for the day. This is the longest REM period of the night for most people (with uninterrupted sleep) and they are waking up from it.

Jazzncats wrote:
I'm due for my first checkup so it's possible some adjustments are needed.
It is definitely a possibility. The other is that you're having REM rebound where you actually are having dreams for much greater periods of time than normal. I've seen people have over 50% REM when put on CPAP for the first time. Normal is 25% of the night.

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

RicaLynn
Unread post  Post subject: Re: dreams  |  Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:16 am

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10
PAP Machine: S9 AutoSet for Her
Pressure Setting: Auto, 6-9

Quote:
It is definitely a possibility. The other is that you're having REM rebound where you actually are having dreams for much greater periods of time than normal. I've seen people have over 50% REM when put on CPAP for the first time. Normal is 25% of the night.

Makes sense! The brain/body is finally getting the restorative sleep it needs and the synapses are firing like mad