FAQ
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:46 am

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

Paul Trethewey
Unread post  Post subject: Targeted Hypoglossal Neurostimulation (THN)  |  Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:51 pm

Targeted Hypoglossal Neurostimulation (THN) is a rather high tech and obviously high cost alternative to CPAP. It is an implant, similar to a heart pacemaker, that makes a little electrical signal to the hypoglossal nerve and the muscle that keeps the tongue from collapsing and closing off the throat. There is a company in Belgium, ImThera, that is claiming great success with this. There are also two companies in the US, in Minnesota, who are working on getting FDA approval for a similar device. I think the idea is that the electronic control unit for this only activates when needed, according to some sort of respiration monitor. I think the Belgian unit just stimulates the tongue muscle continually -- the shotgun approach. ImThera seemed farther along in the development of the product, so I contacted them to ask what the cost would be: About $30,000, and not approved for sale in the USA. That slowed me down quite a bit. The positive side of the ledger would be that it is unobtrusive, silent, and ostensibly effective. Might be worth the cost of a trip to Belgium, but they said, in effect, "This doesn't work for everybody. Your mileage may vary."

So, technically, this is surgery; they cut you open; but it's not to carve away part of your throat, and there is not the same degree of pain and suffering associated with some of the other more barbaric techniques.

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Targeted Hypoglossal Neurostimulation (THN)  |  Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:02 pm
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

This method is rough. It still requires titration. Need enough nerve zapping to hold the airway open, but not too much that it keeps you awake. I would hold off on this one. The most successful surgery for sleep apnea is mandibular advancement. (with regards to lowering AHI and RDI) Correcting a deviated septum as well.

Those may be worth exploring if you are set against using CPAP.

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.