Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Deviated Septum Surgery
FAQ
It is currently Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:14 am

Click this Affiliate Link to Support FreeCPAPAdvice when buying from Amazon. Easiest way to support us!

Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

reknown
Unread post  Post subject: Deviated Septum Surgery  |  Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:50 pm

PAP Mask: Airfit F20
PAP Machine: Dreamstation APAP

I am new to all of this. Kind of amazed that just 4 days ago I was diagnosed with SA and have not yet even picked up my equipment yet --have to wait a month --thats how backed they are in the Bay Area. Anyway, I borrowed a machine from a friend and tried three different masks so far been monitoring with sleepyhead, etc. All because of this site. We are very lucky to have Jason. Imagine if none of this existed we would be completely in the dark and my recovery would be delayed. So thanks to Jason so far.

So back to the topic. I am having a hard time understanding why the deviated septum surgery has such low success rate when it seems it is the cause of sleep apnea and the success rate for the surgery itself is 80%. Why then is it said that there is a 25% success rate that it will cure sleep apnea. Makes no sense to me. Is this flawed data? maybe the ming takes a while to adjust to the larger airway? Have there been extensive tests on this? Sounds more to me like companies trying to sell equipment.

Can someone explain a bit more in depth this 25% success rate? Thanks!

reknown
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Deviated Septum Surgery  |  Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:50 pm

disclaimer: I have a deviated septum.

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Deviated Septum Surgery  |  Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:45 pm

PAP Mask: Simplus
PAP Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
Pressure Setting: 12-20

I had a deviated septum...I had the surgery...It made absolutely no difference in my CPAP usage or pressure needs...Life goes on!

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Deviated Septum Surgery  |  Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:57 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Obstructive sleep apnea is usually caused by floppy/saggy airway tissues blocking the airway that is down behind the tonge and normally has nothing to do with the deviated septum.
Where did you get the idea that fixing a deviated septum will fix OSA?
OSA isn't in the nose but instead in the airway below the nose behind the tongue and below the tongue.

reknown
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Deviated Septum Surgery  |  Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:03 am

It seems highly logical. If your unable to get the amount of required air through your nose and you sleep breathing through your nose only, your going to lack oxygen in the same way you would if your throat was blocked. I have a hard time breathing through my mouth while sleeping, for whatever reason.

Seems to be a lot of varying reasons for having sleep apnea so I understand why for some a septoplasty will not have any effect --if your throat is also blocked. So I guess the question here is ALL sleep apnea, not including central apneas, caused by floppy/ saggy airway tissues in the throat? Seems like a lot of apnea cases have a correlation with broken noses(deviated septums). Maybe this is only 25% of people with deviated septums... this number seems low from a logical standpoint which is why I question the data here.

reknown
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Deviated Septum Surgery  |  Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:10 am

LSAT wrote:
I had a deviated septum...I had the surgery...It made absolutely no difference in my CPAP usage or pressure needs...Life goes on!

Hi LSAT, how badly deviated was your septum? Were you able to use a nose mask prior to surgery?

Mine is so badly deviated there is no way I can use a nose mask.

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Deviated Septum Surgery  |  Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:39 am

PAP Mask: Simplus
PAP Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
Pressure Setting: 12-20

reknown wrote:
LSAT wrote:

Hi LSAT, how badly deviated was your septum? Were you able to use a nose mask prior to surgery?

I used a FF mask before and after surgery..the type of mask never affected my breathing. My deviated septum was not bad enough to affect my breathing.

WarpedTrekker
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Deviated Septum Surgery  |  Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:31 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed AirTouch
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure Setting: EPAP 4, IPAP 8, IPAP max 14, PS4

LSAT wrote:
reknown wrote:
LSAT wrote:

I used a FF mask before and after surgery..the type of mask never affected my breathing. My deviated septum was not bad enough to affect my breathing.

Did you have turbinate reduction as well? Did they install splints or pack the nose?

My ENT said he installs splints but I could try my FF mask, but will probably be congested due to turbinate reduction.

reknown
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Deviated Septum Surgery  |  Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:12 pm

Well, I am going to get the septoplasty afterall. I went in today and looked at my septum with the doc. We found I have a zig zag septum which is near completely blocked on one side and about 20% blocked on the other side. On the blocked side he could barely push the camera through --kind of painful. He thinks I will be able to lower the pressure on the machine after the surgery which is really my main goal for this. Currently when the cpap gets to 11 on pressure it blows the mask out and causes all sorts of leaks that I just can't sleep through. I believe its the restriction at the nose that is causing this, since a restriction down lower in the uvula area would not cause as much back pressure. I have tried 5 different masks and all are the same. If I can get the pressure down to 9 after the surgery I will be happy with it. Just being able to breathe through my nose also would be worth it, I think.

My septum is majorly messed up so I believe this will make things a bit easier with the cpap. Not expecting the apnea to go away but just make it easier to deal with after the surgery. I know its a lot to go through but one month compared to another potential 40 years of life is nothing.

note: He will also be doing turbine reduction.

dreamingofdreaming
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Deviated Septum Surgery  |  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:17 pm

PAP Mask: Dreamwear nasal mask
PAP Machine: Dreamstation
Pressure Setting: APAP 14/20

So, did you have this done? Did it help? I'm going in next week for the same surgery.

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Deviated Septum Surgery  |  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:38 pm
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

Correcting a deviated septum is one of the few surgeries that I would recommend. Whether it "cures" your sleep apnea isn't the issue to me. It's going to make breathing easier with and without CPAP. I'm sure everyones experience is different, but there are SO MANY patients who come through my lab that were unable to tolerate CPAP, had their deviated septum corrected, and then were able to use CPAP successfully.

I'm curious to know how it went for you as well!

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

dreamingofdreaming
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Deviated Septum Surgery  |  Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:48 pm

My surgery was yesterday. I had a septoplasty with radio frequency turbinate reduction. I’m a little sore. I’m not able to use my CPAP, because of the surgery. I get the splints out on Thursday. Hopefully I’ll be able to use my CPAP after that. Im pretty stuffed up right now.

dreamingofdreaming
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Deviated Septum Surgery  |  Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:17 am

Almost 3 weeks since my surgery. It’s amazing how much easier it is to breath through my nose. Obviously if someone pinched your nose, you would know that you couldn’t breath, but when it happens gradually, over time, you just don’t realize how bad it actually is. I still need my CPAP, as of now, it’s still the same pressure too. I am a little swollen still and am still healing with more mucous than what I normally would have. My AHI is lower than what it use to be, but I seem to have more vibratory snores than I did before. I have come to terms with the fact that I will probably be on CPAP for the rest of my life.