FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:13 pm

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

KevinStock
Unread post  Post subject: New dentist here  |  Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:00 am

Hey I just wanted to thank Jason for putting up so much great information. I have learned a ton just reading through these posts and look forward to keep learning (contrary to what you may think, after graduating dental school you don't actually know everything :)
Also, I solely focus on treating sleep apnea with dental appliances, so if anyone has any questions about this, I'm happy to help!

Thanks again Jason!

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New dentist here  |  Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:46 pm
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

KevinStock wrote:
Also, I solely focus on treating sleep apnea with dental appliances, so if anyone has any questions about this, I'm happy to help!
Glad you joined.

I do have a question about dental appliances. I suggest that people use a double sided mouth guard to assist in keeping the fit of a Full Face Mask as well as keeping the mouth closed to prevent mouth leaking with nasal only masks.

These mouth guards range from $3 to $12....so they're fairly cheap. These are just used as a proof of concept so that they know this will be successful and then can fork out the dough to have one made by someone like yourself.

Is there a danger to using the cheap double sided mouth guard long term? What is the difference in materials between these cheap'o mouth guards (boil and bite) and the ones that you would make.

Turns out I have more questions than I thought..... ;)

Once an appliance is made, do you ever send the patient back to a sleep center for another evaluation to see if the appliance works?

Is there specific training that you need to become a dentist that makes these appliances?

Is there some way for a consumer to tell the difference between a hack and someone that really knows what they're doing?

I've also always been curious about where dentists who make oral appliances for sleep apnea receive their referrals. I know many docs send patient who are intolerant or unwilling to try CPAP. Do they ever get sent to you as a first line of treatment because of their mild diagnosis?

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

dbandas
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New dentist here  |  Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:28 am

I have a Thornton device which I use when my nose is stuffy. I've also just been diagnosed with really badly ground teeth and have to begin wearing a guard nightly, regardless.

When I requested a study to see if my Thornton device worked once, thinking it may replace my CPAP, they sent me home with a little oxygen device to wear on my finger and my oxygen levels stayed "high" and good. No diagnosis for the apnea, but at least not suffocating.

Since the dental diagnosis and pending massive dental work, I've requested another study and found my insurance won't pay for a study to test oral appliances. They *will* however pay for some home sleep study which my sleep doctor is going to hook me up with when the equipment is available.

Hope this isn't disruptive to this post, but I had to speak!!!! :-)

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New dentist here  |  Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:17 pm
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

dbandas wrote:
Since the dental diagnosis and pending massive dental work, I've requested another study and found my insurance won't pay for a study to test oral appliances. They *will* however pay for some home sleep study which my sleep doctor is going to hook me up with when the equipment is available.

Hope this isn't disruptive to this post, but I had to speak!!!! :-)
Thanks for posting that! Did they happen to mention what level of home study they would reimburse for? (Type 2,3, or 4)

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

dbandas
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New dentist here  |  Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:21 pm

Not yet. I'll have to get the specifics when my sleep center calls back.