FAQ
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:55 am

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

Paul Trethewey
Unread post  Post subject: Tongue Sucker  |  Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:09 pm

At the lower end of the expense spectrum is a device I call a "tongue sucker": The Aveo TSD from New Zealand. I tried this a while ago. I liked the idea, because it is silent, cheap ($100), no moving parts, requires no electricity, is very portable, easy to clean, can be used while traveling, etc. However, it had its own set of problems. I would awaken during the night to find I had unconsciously ejected it from my mouth. I had difficulty swallowing while using it. It made the tip of my tongue feel weird for hours, the morning after. But mostly, it didn't work. I think the fallacy is that just because you pull on the tip of the tongue doesn't necessarily mean the back of the tongue will move forward. The tongue stretches. This is probably why, to advance the back of the tongue, most people are using dental devices that advance the jaw, which has bone and doesn't stretch.

I really wish this little contraption worked for me.

Anybody on the forum have success with this?

Magenta
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Tongue Sucker  |  Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:28 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed Airfit 10 Nasal Pillows
Resmed Airsense AutoSet For Her
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset for Her
Pressure Setting: 11

I have used a Tongue Stabilisation Device and found it very good. At the moment I am only doing short stints of less than 3 hours, but the few times I have used it along with my nasal pillows, my machine recorded 0 AHIs in the times I was wearing it.

I find it really good for short afternoon naps and can't wait to use it in future when travelling.

BTW I bought an Aveo copycat device on eBay for $2.80. I will probably buy an authentic TSD when I decide which one to go with, just to be sure the silicone is medical grade.