FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:21 am

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

Doglover
Unread post  Post subject: Mouth Guard with TMJ  |  Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:40 pm

PAP Mask: nasal pillows
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 for Her
Humidifier: Resmed
Pressure Setting: CPAP 10

I'm considering a mouth guard along with my CPAP/nose pillow to keep my mouth shut. However, I have TMJ and don't want to make it worse. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Doglover

wiredgeorge
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Mouth Guard with TMJ  |  Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:50 am

Well, Doglover, I had never heard of TMJ and it doesn't seem all that well understood. The Mayo Clinic talked about the use of a dental appliance (mouth guard) as one form of treatment and they didn't seem to know why it would work. I doubt trying a mouth guard will do any harm and you will have to be the judge of whether the mouth guard mitigates or makes worse and pain from the TMJ as well as assess if it help keep your mouth shut. The MMA mouth guard suggested in the dental appliances forum of this site is the one I purchased and it has worked WONDERS for me. Low mask leaks, no dry mouth and very very low AHI since starting to use the mouth guard. Only negative I saw was a couple folks reported drooling which might just be better than an arid, dry mouth.

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Mouth Guard with TMJ  |  Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:08 pm
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

Doglover wrote:
I have TMJ and don't want to make it worse. Any thoughts?
When you are first forming the mouth guard, just make sure that you bite hard and deep as well as neutral (no pushing jaw forward). This will keep the jaw locked into place without putting any strain on your TMJ. I worked with TMJ patients when I was doing a physical therapy internship......really painful condition.

Hope this answers your question.

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

TmjTerri
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Mouth Guard with TMJ  |  Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:22 pm

PAP Mask: Mirage Softgel Petite
PAP Machine: ResMed Vpap Adapt S9 36007
Humidifier: ResMed H5i Heated Humidifier
Pressure Setting: 17/30 My paperwork also says Asv-Epap 10cm rate auto Min PS=4cm Max PS=15

Doglover wrote:
I'm considering a mouth guard along with my CPAP/nose pillow to keep my mouth shut. However, I have TMJ and don't want to make it worse. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Doglover

Hi Doglover (I'm a HUGE dog lover myself)..I am so sorry to hear that you suffer from tmj. It is a medical nightmare condition to have. Ever since I was 19 years old I have suffered with horrible tmj after being suckered punched 3 times on the left side of my jaw. After many years of no medical treatment (abusive relationship caused this) as well as 4 jaw surgeries after I escaped I was forced to have bilateral total joint replacement surgery of my tmj joint. I also suffer from severe chronic pain that sadly won't ever go away. I wanted to just system hi and to tell you that I truly do understand what you see going through and if you ever need anyone to talk to or just vent to to please message me. I've am having a difficult time finding the perfect mask for me because of my jaw.

I wish you the very best of luck and hope that you are able to find a mask that will work and not make your jaw/face painting worse. Jason had a video on YouTube of a mask that he reviewed and it looks extremely promising and am actually thinking of giving it a try. In case you want to look into it it's called Circadiance SleepWeaver Anew mask. I'm pretty sure they have different options as far as full face, nasal etc.

Let me know if I can answer any questions tmj wise or if I can offer you any support. I truly know how miserable tmj can be.

Take care!

ResMed Vpap Adapt S9 #36007
ResMed H5i Heated Humidifier
NewLife Elite/Intensity/QuietLife 5 Oxygen Concentrator
Respironics CPAP Nasal Mask with Headgear - ComfortGel Blue Size Petite
Pressures 17/30
My paperwork also says..
Asv-Epap 10cm rate
Auto Min PS=4cm Max PS=15cm
CMS50F Pulse Oximeter Recordable
CPAP Hose Lift v5

photomaster
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Mouth Guard with TMJ  |  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:13 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 Nasal Pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™
Humidifier: The humidifier built into theAirSense™ 10 AutoSet™
Pressure Setting: AutoPAP 9 to 15

Hey Doglover,
I am fellow TMJ sufferer, with the added curse of a short lower jaw. I have been trying a multitude of bite guards with little success. I've also been prescribed a chin strap which does nothing to help with the TMJ. The bite guards help me by preventing the lower teeth digging into the roof of my mouth behind the upper teeth. It's hasn't helped at all with the TMJ, and has actually caused more TMJ discomfort. I've been experimenting with a couple nights on and a couple nights off. Too soon to tell for sure. The chin strap my IME provided is horrible and I'm looking at other chin strap options.

I wish you the best and if I find any good results I will certainly let you know.