id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - First night with Resmed 10 Autoset. Looking for advice!
FAQ
It is currently Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:42 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

sorreljorn
Unread post  Post subject: First night with Resmed 10 Autoset. Looking for advice!  |  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:05 pm

Hello everyone. I'll just be upfront and say that I don't have a diagnosis for sleep apnea and I ordered this unit with a full-face f30i mask (I'm a mouth breather) as a rental unit to see if it can help me. I've had doctors mention I might have sleep apnea and I've had two sleep studies done, however both times I failed to fall asleep. My main symptoms are always tired, napping throughout the day and general symptoms of poor quality sleep. I use an app called Snorelab to record myself and every night it's a consistent loud recording, with heavy breathing/snoring and a very high rating for snoring. So I figured why not try this machine out and see if that's the issue.

Anyway to cut to the chase - I got the machine and it didn't come with an instruction book. I managed to do a mask test and can maintain it at 'good'. I did feel a bit of a headrush after a few minutes of using it. I'm curious what setting I need to put, e.g., what pressure setting for someone doing a self-experiment basically. Can't really find much on the internet besides that I should set it to 6-20. Looking to get any advice so I don't starve myself of oxygen or something!

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: First night with Resmed 10 Autoset. Looking for advice!  |  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:25 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

Try these settings.
Ramp off
Minimum pressure 6
Maximum 20
EPR full time set to 2
and see what happens

Practice while awake and under no pressure to fall asleep because you have to get to sleep first and foremost.

Use OSCAR to evaluate your results and make adjustments accordingly and we can help in that area if we can see your detailed reports.

OSCAR https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph ... stallation
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph ... rpretation

sorreljorn
Unread post  Post subject: Re: First night with Resmed 10 Autoset. Looking for advice!  |  Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:11 am

Pugsy wrote:
Try these settings...

Thank you for the response! My first night using it I don't think was too successful. I think I woke up a few times because it felt so weird to be on it, not just the mask but how I felt in general was a bit strange. I also had an insanely dry mouth and upping the humidifier didn't help.

Here's some typical sleep sounds my snorelab picks up: https://www.vocaroo.com/14sBRlAQ9ycJ

My first report on the Resmed shows:

2 hours use time
AHI 10
Central AI 3.3
Events Per Hour 8.4
Pressure 9.7
Leak 5L/min

Here is an OSCAR report:

https://imgur.com/EvvYf5d

And the graph section:

https://imgur.com/a/mF534K1

Appreciate any feedback!

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: First night with Resmed 10 Autoset. Looking for advice!  |  Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:20 am

Your OSCAR report doesn't reflect the AHI of 10 that I assume you saw on the machine's LCD screen. Not sure why unless it was a short session report.

This stuff is weird and it is hard to adjust to so you just have to keep at it.
Don't have enough data yet where you were sound asleep to really do much evaluation of settings.

Dry mouth...common complaint even at max humidity when using a full face mask. The machine was never designed to hydrate the oral cavity which is much larger than the nasal cavity which is was designed to help moisturize. You are mouth breathing and mouth breathing can really dry out the mouth even if you are mouth breathing humidified air.

If you are using auto humidity....you aren't using maximum humidity...that setting equals about a setting of 4 out of a setting of 8 possibility. So you can change from auto humidity to manual and maybe try a higher setting....it may or may not help. Some people just get dry mouth easier than others and nothing helps. There are oral hydrating products to help those people.

sorreljorn
Unread post  Post subject: Re: First night with Resmed 10 Autoset. Looking for advice!  |  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:31 am

Pugsy wrote:
Your OSCAR report doesn't reflect the AHI of 10 that I assume you saw on the machine's LCD screen. Not sure why unless it was a short session report.

This stuff is weird and it is hard to adjust to so you just have to keep at it.
Don't have enough data yet where you were sound asleep to really do much evaluation of settings.

Dry mouth...common complaint even at max humidity when using a full face mask. The machine was never designed to hydrate the oral cavity which is much larger than the nasal cavity which is was designed to help moisturize. You are mouth breathing and mouth breathing can really dry out the mouth even if you are mouth breathing humidified air.

If you are using auto humidity....you aren't using maximum humidity...that setting equals about a setting of 4 out of a setting of 8 possibility. So you can change from auto humidity to manual and maybe try a higher setting....it may or may not help. Some people just get dry mouth easier than others and nothing helps. There are oral hydrating products to help those people.

Hi Pugsy so sorry I made a few mistakes with my post. My first night I uploaded the wrong results. I have attached the correct OSCAR results from FIRST night.

My second mistake was both first and now second night I had the tubing on backwards. I realized early on tonight when it kept slipping off the top of my f30i mask.

My third mistake is that I forgot to reintroduce the SD card to my machine. So I have uploaded the machine results from SECOND night.

Attachments:
20210801_165853.jpg
20210801_165853.jpg [ 2.51 MiB | Viewed 1144 times ]
first night.JPG
first night.JPG [ 551.39 KiB | Viewed 1144 times ]
Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: First night with Resmed 10 Autoset. Looking for advice!  |  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:25 am

Your posted detailed report reflects only about a little over an hour of usage.
Your Sleep report from your machine shows 5 hours of usage.

So we would expect the AHI to be different. They don't jive.
You are having really big leaks. This messes with machines recording ability.

I don't know what is going on with your reports but it looks like OSCAR is missing usage reports.

Is the clock on the machine correct? Do you use the machine during the day for a nap?

sorreljorn
Unread post  Post subject: Re: First night with Resmed 10 Autoset. Looking for advice!  |  Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:44 am

Pugsy wrote:
Your posted detailed report reflects only about a little over an hour of usage.
Your Sleep report from your machine shows 5 hours of usage.

So we would expect the AHI to be different. They don't jive.
You are having really big leaks. This messes with machines recording ability.

I don't know what is going on with your reports but it looks like OSCAR is missing usage reports.

Is the clock on the machine correct? Do you use the machine during the day for a nap?

I don't think that I can correct the leakage results. It's very possible that the mask just isn't suitable for me. Tonight was the first night I had everything set properly (including the tubing which was on backwards previously). And it still shows high leakage. I don't know if the settings play a factor, I used the settings an OSCAR developer told me to use to gauge if I actually had sleep apnea which is 4-20 and EPR off. The results I was able to reproduce 2-3 times so far are AHI of 10, and 95% pressure of 11. Tonight was the longest I was able to keep it on at 4-5 hours, but leakage is obviously high still. I don't know if the settings are making me take it off while I sleep or it's just not staying on.

Attachments:
Aug 2 Oscar.JPG
Aug 2 Oscar.JPG [ 634.86 KiB | Viewed 1114 times ]
Respirator99
Unread post  Post subject: Re: First night with Resmed 10 Autoset. Looking for advice!  |  Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:21 am

PAP Mask: Resmed Airtouch F20
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 CS Pacewave ASV
Pressure Setting: Min EPAP: 8.0 Max EPAP: 11.0 PS Min: 3.0 PS Max: 8.0

Hi Sorreljorn

You have a major problem with leaks, which are preventing the machine correctly diagnosing and treating your apnea. The number 1 priority is to resolve the leaks - only then can we worry about pressure adjustments etc.

Your machine has a mask fit mode which will blow air at the maximum pressure while you try adjustments to get things under control. Getting the right mask for your particular face is often the hardest thing about this therapy, and it's very often the case that the first mask you try won't be suitable for you. It can be a frustrating (and expensive) exercise trying various masks until you find the right one for you. There is a good article on masks and leak control here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Mask_Primer

By the way, can I ask you to turn off the calendar in your printout please - it can obscure other important data.

* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* Organise your Oscar charts

sorreljorn
Unread post  Post subject: Re: First night with Resmed 10 Autoset. Looking for advice!  |  Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:05 am

Respirator99 wrote:
Hi Sorreljorn

You have a major problem with leaks, which are preventing the machine correctly diagnosing and treating your apnea. The number 1 priority is to resolve the leaks - only then can we worry about pressure adjustments etc.

Your machine has a mask fit mode which will blow air at the maximum pressure while you try adjustments to get things under control. Getting the right mask for your particular face is often the hardest thing about this therapy, and it's very often the case that the first mask you try won't be suitable for you. It can be a frustrating (and expensive) exercise trying various masks until you find the right one for you. There is a good article on masks and leak control here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Mask_Primer

By the way, can I ask you to turn off the calendar in your printout please - it can obscure other important data.

Hi Respirator, I disabled the calendar as requested. I don't think I can do much more to fix the leakage, I put on the mask as tight as I can and used a softer pillow. It's still high and it seems that it might just be the wrong mask for me (f30i). I had to up the lower end pressure to about 8 so I don't feel like I'm suffocating when I use the mask, but for some reason I'm still taking it off after 2-3 hours of usage when I sleep. Maybe a f20 mask would be a better fit?

Attachments:
Oscar recent.JPG
Oscar recent.JPG [ 586.05 KiB | Viewed 1063 times ]
sorreljorn
Unread post  Post subject: Re: First night with Resmed 10 Autoset. Looking for advice!  |  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:40 am

I had a bit more success with it tonight, doubling my usage time and slightly lowering leakage. What I had to do is raise min pressure to 11, because anything less I felt like I was gasping for air with the mask on.

Attachments:
7th august.JPG
7th august.JPG [ 585.49 KiB | Viewed 1001 times ]