Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Hurricane Dryer - Is it getting hot enough
FAQ
It is currently Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:00 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

Donna C
Unread post  Post subject: Hurricane Dryer - Is it getting hot enough  |  Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:38 am

Hi everyone, Hurricane dryer question...

I was lucky enough to get a Hurricane dryer when they came back in stock a few weeks ago, have used it a handful of times. I noticed the other day that the tubing still had a few drops of water in it after being in the dryer for an hour. Due to the length of the tubing I assume this may be unpreventable.

But today I happened to be standing there when the unit shut off and I opened it to check. I had just the humidifier water chamber in there for an hour, and again there was still a few drops of water in the corner. Any suggestions for verifying that it's getting hot enough? The metal base of the water chamber wasn't even that hot.

Please note also that I put the water chamber in the Hurricane upside down, because the first time that I used the dryer the water chamber was right side up, and there was a puddle in it after the Hurricane turned off.

Do you think it's functioning properly?

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Hurricane Dryer - Is it getting hot enough  |  Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:58 am

PAP Mask: F & P Vitera
PAP Machine: Airsense 10 Autoset
Pressure Setting: 12-20

I don't know if that's luck..spending money for an unnecessary item. There is no reason to dry the hose or the water chamber since it gets wet again as soon as you turn on your machine. IF you wash the hose, just let it drip dry until you are ready to use it again.

optimalsleep
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Hurricane Dryer - Is it getting hot enough  |  Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:49 am

PAP Mask: have a couple.... resmed p30i
PAP Machine: ResMed Aircurve 10 Vauto on S
Humidifier: HumidAir
Pressure Setting: IPAP 12 EPAP 11

a few drops of water isn't a concern... I didn't need a heated hose at all, all winter.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Hurricane Dryer - Is it getting hot enough  |  Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:56 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

I had heard of someone whose Hurricane Dryer did eventually quit working or heating properly. I think that what he said was the blower quit.
He opened it up and did some dust removal and cleaning at got it to working properly again.

I am sorry...I don't own that device so I don't know of any way to tell if yours is acting up or not. You probably will need to contact the manufacturer to ask them how you would go about testing it but it does sound like it isn't doing what it is supposed to be doing.

It is an electrical device and they do sometimes up and get sick or die.
I would think from what you describe as to how you place the water chamber in the device that it should be totally dry after an hour.

optimalsleep
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Hurricane Dryer - Is it getting hot enough  |  Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:27 am

PAP Mask: have a couple.... resmed p30i
PAP Machine: ResMed Aircurve 10 Vauto on S
Humidifier: HumidAir
Pressure Setting: IPAP 12 EPAP 11

I wash my gear in a plastic tub..... rinse in the kitchen sink. Set out to dry for IDK a few hours or longer. I hang the hose over a door knob. When I go to use it, it has water droplets in. No big deal, when you use it it dries out. It's not a concern that it will harm you. I used to work at a sewer plant and test water the drinking water..... and the lab tech said you can drink the water at the end of the process of pant. So water droplets in your hose and where ever else it's lingers isn't a big deal. I only see droplets in my hose.

Respirator99
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Hurricane Dryer - Is it getting hot enough  |  Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:04 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed Airtouch F20
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
Pressure Setting: Min EPAP: 8.0 Max EPAP: 11.0 PS Min: 3.0 PS Max: 8.0

I think Hurricane is going to be the next SoClean.

Donna, I have to agree with the others that this type of equipment is simply unnecessary. A few drops of water in the hose or tub will do nothing - it is not necessary to have these things totally dry unless you live in an environment with a high level of airborne pathogens - in which case the hose will be the least of your worries.

Consider the way a CPAP machine works: Ambient room air is drawn in through a filter (which will only remove coarse particles like dust) then through the blower on a one-way path to the humidifier. It flows one way through the humidifier and picks up moisture by evaporation. Regardless of where the water in the tub comes from, the moisture picked up by the passing air is essentially distilled water vapour and incapable of carrying any suspended particles. The air then passes one way through the hose then into the mask via a one way valve.

So unless the air which comes into the machine is highly contaminated there are no opportunities for it to pick up any germs on its way to your mask. And if your room air is that badly contaminated, you're in trouble anyway.

I'm afraid devices like the Hurricane and SoClean don't really accomplish anything except transfer your money to the manufacturer.

* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* Organise your Oscar charts

Donna C
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Hurricane Dryer - Is it getting hot enough  |  Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:59 am

Thank you everyone for your responses. Note that I'm less concerned with whether this was a smart purchase and more concerned with if the device is functioning properly. I have a compromised immune system due to blood cancer, prefer the quick dry and sanitize feature of the hurricane over letting something that I'll be breathing through air dry.

I'm running it now with an oven thermometer to verify that it's heating to 120 degrees.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Hurricane Dryer - Is it getting hot enough  |  Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:15 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

Oven thermometer....great idea. I didn't even think of that.
I don't blame you for wanting to be extra careful. I probably would if I were in your shoes as well. Peace of mind is worth a lot.

Respirator99
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Hurricane Dryer - Is it getting hot enough  |  Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:57 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed Airtouch F20
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
Pressure Setting: Min EPAP: 8.0 Max EPAP: 11.0 PS Min: 3.0 PS Max: 8.0

Donna C wrote:
I have a compromised immune system due to blood cancer, prefer the quick dry and sanitize feature of the hurricane over letting something that I'll be breathing through air dry.

That does put a different complexion on things. I think some of us old timers are a bit quick to jump on the SoClean and other such devices that we don't always consider the full situation. Sorry if I came over a bit harsh.

* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* Organise your Oscar charts

Donna C
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Hurricane Dryer - Is it getting hot enough  |  Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:45 am

Respirator99 wrote:
Donna C wrote:
I have a compromised immune system due to blood cancer, prefer the quick dry and sanitize feature of the hurricane over letting something that I'll be breathing through air dry.

That does put a different complexion on things. I think some of us old timers are a bit quick to jump on the SoClean and other such devices that we don't always consider the full situation. Sorry if I came over a bit harsh.

No worries. The sanitizer seems like common sense from my perspective, but I can see how the average person may feel it unnecessary. I just need to be more careful.