Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Nasal congestions
FAQ
It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:18 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

gandrus
Unread post  Post subject: Nasal congestions  |  Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:13 am

I have a nasal congestion problem. I have used a neta pot a,d turned the
humidity to a level 5 on my dreamstation; I still egt nasal congestion half way
through the nigh and as a result, a high pressure.

DeltaBravo3.8
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Nasal congestions  |  Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:15 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed F20 N30i P30i, soon to have F&P Vitera
PAP Machine: I will likely tell the doc it's going to be ResMed Astral 150
Humidifier: Accessory Humidifier will be requested
Pressure Setting: 0 setting for now, soon to be using AVAPS settings

You could ask what your doctor says about Flonase, a type of over the counter medicine. See if he or she recommends you to try it.

Also you could try turning down the humidity level on the DreamStation. It may be too high, contributing to the congestion.

https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Help
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Chart_Organization

optimalsleep
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Nasal congestions  |  Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:21 pm

PAP Mask: have a couple.... resmed p30i
PAP Machine: ResMed Aircurve 10 Vauto on S
Humidifier: HumidAir
Pressure Setting: IPAP 12 EPAP 11

If you can used Sudafed... it may be not good for high blood pressure and other side effects, so make sure you read the instructions. I use Ibreprophen PM two pills, and one regular one... so it's 600mg total.... but make sure you eat something with it or drink milk before taking it. Or if you can sleep upright. Pressure lying down causes congestion. I'm sure some here will say I'm wrong about Ibreprophen.... I've been using it for years, and no problems. Some say it's bad for your kidneys or liver or whatever. It can give you ulcers if taken on an empty stomach. I never had a problem.... I have blood work every three months, liver screen and nothing shows up about Ibreprophen.

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Nasal congestions  |  Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:49 pm

PAP Mask: F & P Vitera
PAP Machine: Airsense 10 Autoset
Pressure Setting: 12-20

Ibuprophin..is not a decongestant and should not be taken on a regular basis. Get a nasal rinse from the pharmacy..NeilMed is a good one.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Nasal congestions  |  Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:12 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

optimalsleep wrote:
I'm sure some here will say I'm wrong about Ibreprophen.... I've been using it for years, and no problems. Some say it's bad for your kidneys or liver or whatever. It can give you ulcers if taken on an empty stomach. I never had a problem...

Just because you can take ibuprofen doesn't mean it's safe for everyone.

https://www.drugs.com/ibuprofen.html

Here's one note...see above link for a lot more.

Quote:
Ibuprofen can increase your risk of fatal heart attack or stroke, especially if you use it long term or take high doses, or if you have heart disease.

It can damage the kidneys...and kill you.

And it won't do a thing for nasal congestion...nothing in it that affects the nasal mucosa...now if you are taking the PM version then that PM part is Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) which is an antihistimine and that might affect the nasal mucosa and help with nasal congestion.
Benadryl by itself is available over the counter and a person could just take the Benadryl without the ibuprofen (which is the NSAID) and avoid potential GI or liver or unwanted side effects from the NSAID.
NSAIDs are for pain...inflammation from arthritis or fever or that sort of thing...you don't take a NSAID for nasal congestion though. Nothing in it to help open up the nose.

Be care when advising people to take anything...even aspirin...everything comes with pros and cons and side effects and sometimes those side effects can be lethal. Just because you don't have a problem with something doesn't mean the next person won't and you don't know a thing about their medical history. I know you just want to help and don't want to hurt anyone...just be careful because it could kill someone.

FWIW....I once took 1...200 mg ibuprofen for a headache. No history of ulcers or anything like that. I ended up in the ER and hospital with a bad GI bleed and pain that was worse than giving birth. It is not nearly as benign as you think it is for some people.

optimalsleep
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Nasal congestions  |  Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:13 pm

Quote:
200 mg ibuprofen for a headache. No history of ulcers or anything like that. I ended up in the ER and hospital with a bad GI bleed and pain that was worse than giving birth.

I'm sorry you had to go through that...

If someone has health issues consult your Dr. You're right though..... you don't know someones medical history.

optimalsleep
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Nasal congestions  |  Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:12 pm

One pill made you bleed? And bleeding is related to an ulser isn't it?

GI bleeding is not a disease, but a symptom of a disease. There are many possible causes of GI bleeding, including hemorrhoids, peptic ulcers, tears or inflammation in the esophagus, diverticulosis and diverticulitis, ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease, colonic polyps, or cancer in the colon, stomach or esophogus

medlineplus.gov/

sounds like you possibly had something going on other than 1 Ibruprophen pill.......maybe it worsened the matter?

What did your Dr say when you landed in the Hospital?

optimalsleep
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Nasal congestions  |  Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:21 pm

Can analgesics hurt kidneys? Check with your doctor to be sure you can use these medicines safely, particularly if you have kidney disease. Heavy or long-term use of some of these medicines, such as ibuprofen, naproxen, and higher dose aspirin, can cause chronic kidney disease known as chronic interstitial nephritis.

https://www.kidney.org

what's long term?

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Nasal congestions  |  Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:10 pm

optimalsleep wrote:
One pill made you bleed? And bleeding is related to an ulser isn't it?

GI bleeding is not a disease, but a symptom of a disease. There are many possible causes of GI bleeding, including hemorrhoids, peptic ulcers, tears or inflammation in the esophagus, diverticulosis and diverticulitis, ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease, colonic polyps, or cancer in the colon, stomach or esophogus

medlineplus.gov/

sounds like you possibly had something going on other than 1 Ibruprophen pill.......maybe it worsened the matter?

What did your Dr say when you landed in the Hospital?

I had no other history of stomach problems...no ulcers or anything that pointed to a potential GI problems or digestive problems...nothing to give me a hint that my stomach might not like it except the fact that the other stronger prescription NSAIDS always seemed to cause some gas and belly pain...but those were the stronger NSAIDs that require a prescription. I was away from home and no one had any aspirin or tylenol and I had a bad headache. We were down at the lake....and about 20 miles from a store and my friend had the ibuprofenheOTC dosage of 200 mg which I knew was tiny. So I took the one pill knowing that I might have a little gas belly pain and I made sure I took it after eating and all that. I knew it was a maybe that I would have problems with it.....thought maybe a little gas pain. About an hour after I took it the pain got really bad and the nausea started and then the vomiting started and then the vomit started showing bright red blood. I was so sick and it hurt so bad they finally took me to the hospital because were afraid that the darn pill had eat a hole in my stomach.

It hadn't eaten a hole in my stomach of course but the vomiting so much and so forceful wretching that it caused the inflammed irritated stomach line to tear a blood vessel and that was where the bleeding was coming from. Wasn't very big tear but it bled lie a stuck pig..

They gave me a cocktail of maaalox and lidocaine...big glass of it...the maalox coated the stomach to ease the irritation and help heal and the lidocoaine is of course a numbing agent. Made the stomach numb inside for a couple of hours until the pill had dissolved and moved on out of my system. So the extreme pain was relieved. The tear causing the bleed was really small and didn't last long once I stopped vomiting.
They kept me about 4 hours in the ER and things calmed down and then we went back to the lake to enjoy the rest of the weekend.
As I was leaving Linda asked me....do we need to ask for something for your headache....and I had to laugh....I said what headache....I totally forgot about the headache...my belly had hurt so bad the headache was forgotten in the moment....but I guess the ibuprofen did get rid of the headache because it was gone.....but that was a sure rough way to get rid of a headache.

Moral and lesson learned...I always carry either aspirin or tylenol in either my purse or truck...and Ii don't ever, ever take any sort of NSAID medication....prescription or OTC. There's something about my stomach that just doesn't play nice with it.
And I have no other GI upper or lower digestive problems. Never had. We have wondered if maybe I have some sort of weird allergic reaction to them....but never new for sure why such a severe episode. And I am never ever going to take one again.
Now my friend LInda who I got that pill from....she eats them like candy and has zero issues at all with them.

On occasion here I might need or want to suggest a NSAID for someone but I always ask first if they have ever taken any sort of NSAID and did they have a problem with it or not before I make the suggestion. I don't always go into a big detailed history taking lesson but I ask questions that gives me clues.
So like.....have you ever taken any of those NSAIds for pain...either OTC or RX...if you have did it cause you any problems at all that you know of? If they say yeah...I have taken it without a problem then I can go ahead an suggest whatever it was I thinking to suggest.
Every now and then I run across someone who hasn't ever take an NSAID or maybe they might have but don't remember.
Those people will still get the suggest AND a link to the product page showing all the potential things that are bad about it and I tell them to be sure to real the whole thing to see if they have any of the problems that don't play well with the medication.
I figure they know their medical history and I don't really need to know it and it's better explained in the product information and saves me a lot of typing. Also I think people should always read up on all the meds...that way they learn better.

I follow this routine for all drugs most of the time...even Benadryl because some people can't take it because of prostate history or blood pressure issues. It doesn't mix well with BP med sometimes...depends on the mediation. I mention it and provide a link that they need to read. After that I have done my duty. All medications have potential side effects that can be nasty for some people. Even plain aspirin.
You probably see melatonin advised off to help with sleep....you should go check out those side effects...some are really ugly.
Vertigo is one side effect and it hit me about 30 minutes after taking the tiniest dose possible. I was so sick and bouncing off the walls drunk and dizzy. Another little known sided effect to melatonin...loss of libido. If I was a man I would be really careful about taking it if I was thinking about making whoopie with the wife right before I was to go to sleep. :lol: :lol: Might end up with 2 really unhappy people in bed.

So when you don't know much history and you don't know if they are taking meds and you want to advise some sort of OTC med.
Don't pooh pooh off potential sided effects because some of the could kill a person.
Instead make your suggestion and say something "if you haven't ever taken this drug I strongly urge you to read up on it and the potential side effects and/or interactions with other meds".....then provide a link so they don't have to go look and maybe blow it off....and then your ass is covered. If you want to add that you have taken it without problems that is fine but always tell them that there are potential side effects and some people shouldn't take it ....and they might not be like you with it....and they need to do the rest of the work and read up on it. You did your work coming up with the idea but they also have to do some work.

It's okay to advise it and say it worked well for you but always, always....add the caveat about the fact that it might do something you don't like and go here to this link to see if you have something in your history that makes it a bad idea.

First rule in medicine for doctors which extends down to us non doctores.......First do no harm. Second rule is cover your butt by telling them to read up on the medication and side effects and provide the link so they have no excuse to not read it.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Nasal congestions  |  Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:19 pm

optimalsleep wrote:
Can analgesics hurt kidneys? Check with your doctor to be sure you can use these medicines safely, particularly if you have kidney disease. Heavy or long-term use of some of these medicines, such as ibuprofen, naproxen, and higher dose aspirin, can cause chronic kidney disease known as chronic interstitial nephritis.

https://www.kidney.org

what's long term?

Tylenol for sure can hurt the kidneys especially when someone exceeds the recommended dose or even a a low dose over a period of time.
People have to go on dialysis from damage to the kidneys from tylenol.

I take a different pain medication and it is well known to damage the kidneys and liver as well. I ha ve to get yearly blood work done to watch those functions.

As to what is long term....I have never seen any set definition for it. I would imagine that would be something the doctor would have make that determination. Probably the dosage would be a factor in determining if the length of time qualifies as "long term".
Maybe also a factor is why it is being given in the first place.

optimalsleep
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Nasal congestions  |  Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:54 am

If you have a list of meds... Dr's will warn you what not to take with it. If they don't then they shouldn't be your Dr let alone a Dr. Any Dr that is treating a patient is proactive with that individual that could be up against a malpractice suit.... I would tend to believe they will do thier job. On the other hand people do really stupid things to themselves without discretion and there's pleanty of people they ask that would reprimand them along the way to research what's best. At the same time some people overreact with information and feel they know best.

It's really hard to believe you got a hole in your stomach from ONE Ibruprophen, it really does. And as I said, there had to alot more going on for that to happen, and that's common sense. As far as killing someone.... that's abuse.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Nasal congestions  |  Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:24 am

optimalsleep wrote:
If you have a list of meds... Dr's will warn you what not to take with it. If they don't then they shouldn't be your Dr let alone a Dr. Any Dr that is treating a patient is proactive with that individual that could be up against a malpractice suit.... I would tend to believe they will do thier job. On the other hand people do really stupid things to themselves without discretion and there's pleanty of people they ask that would reprimand them along the way to research what's best. At the same time some people overreact with information and feel they know best.

It's really hard to believe you got a hole in your stomach from ONE Ibruprophen, it really does. And as I said, there had to alot more going on for that to happen, and that's common sense. As far as killing someone.... that's abuse.

I ruptured a blood vessel in my stomach to cause the bleed. There was no hole...the violent vomiting caused the blood vessel to rupture.

Don't you think that if doctors always check for medication interaction problems so they don't get sued that maybe we should sort of do the same or at least point someone to where they can check before we blindly go telling people to take this or that for something just because it works well for us and we don't have a clue as to their medical history or what other meds they might be taking?

I have always had problems with the various NSAIDs which I have tried over the years because of arthritis. Usually not serious problems but minor discomfort....and the belly issues were always a problem and the NSAIDs didn't help my arthritis pain...so I never really took any long term. No sense in taking something that upset my stomach or caused pain and not have it help my arthritis pain. I know they work well for a lot of people but I also know that they don't work out so great for a lot of people.

Believe what you want or don't want to. My experience is every bit as valid as yours.

DeltaBravo3.8
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Nasal congestions  |  Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:59 am

PAP Mask: ResMed F20 N30i P30i, soon to have F&P Vitera
PAP Machine: I will likely tell the doc it's going to be ResMed Astral 150
Humidifier: Accessory Humidifier will be requested
Pressure Setting: 0 setting for now, soon to be using AVAPS settings

As every person has their own medical and script history, and reacts differently to medications. So if I mention a medication of any kind, I say to check with your PCP/GP doc first before taking it.

Even things like certain foods can cause issues. Shellfish/seafood don't go well with my gout issue for example.

I hope the OP has their congestion issue under control BTW.

https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Help
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Chart_Organization

optimalsleep
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Nasal congestions  |  Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:06 am

Thanks Delta... didn't think about food. I know I can't drink grapefruit juice with my Atorvastatin AKA Lipator.

optimalsleep
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Nasal congestions  |  Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:51 pm

Pugsy wrote:
optimalsleep wrote:

I ruptured a blood vessel in my stomach to cause the bleed. There was no hole...the violent vomiting caused the blood vessel to rupture.

Don't you think that if doctors always check for medication interaction problems so they don't get sued that maybe we should sort of do the same or at least point someone to where they can check before we blindly go telling people to take this or that for something just because it works well for us and we don't have a clue as to their medical history or what other meds they might be taking?

I have always had problems with the various NSAIDs which I have tried over the years because of arthritis. Usually not serious problems but minor discomfort....and the belly issues were always a problem and the NSAIDs didn't help my arthritis pain...so I never really took any long term. No sense in taking something that upset my stomach or caused pain and not have it help my arthritis pain. I know they work well for a lot of people but I also know that they don't work out so great for a lot of people.

Believe what you want or don't want to. My experience is every bit as valid as yours.

you did't mention about what it might have interacted with...... isn't that what you're driving at here? Now you say it's violent vomiting that caused the rupture and noting but the one Ibruprophen did it.

Quote:
FWIW....I once took 1...200 mg ibuprofen for a headache. No history of ulcers or anything like that. I ended up in the ER and hospital with a bad GI bleed and pain that was worse than giving birth. It is not nearly as benign as you think it is for some people.

so this one Ibruprophen made you vomit? to bleed? There had to be something else going on.

Stomach bleed warning on the label.... need I say more? Age over 60 warning of the person taking it....stomach ulsers, bleeding problems, blood thinners, steriods, stop using if you vomit blood..... so adverse effects with EXISITING conditions...

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Nasal congestions  |  Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:33 pm

To anyone reading this thread....if you want additional information about my experience with NSAIDs and in this case...1 measly ibuprofen 200 mg and my reaction to it...send me a PM and we can discuss it.
This thread is off track already and I am not going to allow it to go further off track.

I am not going to argue with optimalsleeper because that is all he really wants to do....pick a fight. I won't take the bait.
He has sent me ugly PMs even after I told him to stop sending me PMs. I have now blocked all his PMs...don't even get a notice that he sent one to tempt me to read it..... and they go straight into the trash can somewhere...they never make it to my inbox. I won't ever read them and don't want to. He's very abusive and nasty to me and I simply won't interact with him anymore. He just wants to prove how much he thinks he knows and in reality he knows very little.

This person I have dealt with in this same way under 3 accounts over at cpaptalk.com and here under two other screen account names.
He has had 3 account names banned at cpaptalk and 2 other names here for abusive behavior and disruptive behavior and profanity.

I tried to be nice and give him one more chance to play nice but he can't...alll he wants to do is argue...and question and argue and tell you that you don't know what you are talking about. He has done the same thing over on the apneaboard....I don't go over there much but someone here who has...told me this same sort of crap has come from optimal sleeper over there.

Anyway....no one speaks to me in a nasty way...no one..and I sure as hell am not going to interact with this person anywhere. I was hoping he had changed...he hasn't. He's not worth my responding to anything he says . So there will be no more chit chat with him...he doesn't really want to care about me anyway...he just wants to essentially call me a liar about what I already stated.

So.....the only time I will say anything about something he might say is when he gives incomplete, inaccurate or potentially dangerous information to someone. I sent him a note last night explaining that fact pretty clearly. He tried to tell me that I wasn't allowed to respond to what he said....hmmmmm....failed to understand that I get to do exactly that if I want to.

But then I won't do it just to annoy him....not worth my time but I won't let him hurt the forum. That I won't allow. If any of you start having trouble with him...let me know. He's not going to have me to fight with so he will probably try to find someone else.

He's been harrassing me...even sent me harrassing private emails through the forum....but I now blocked that from happening as well.
He's on my Foe list and I configured my profile so that anyone on my Foe lists can't send me any private messages. I put a stop to that harrassment. So if he wants to continue with the harrassment he has to go public with it.

He has also threatened to tell Jason on me....now what he wants to say I did...that's up to him and I told him to go for it.
Jason already has copies of EVERYTHING he has said to me along with the "up your ass and go f....k yourself" that I got over at cpaptalk because I kept all that nastiness. I already sent copies of everything to Jason this morning.

Ralph is a pretty sick dude I guess...or doesn't like women in authority or something but if he thinks he is going to run me off......that won't happen and if he just wants to fight...that's not going to happen either..
He's a troll...pure and simple and I don't feed trolls nor do I give them any attention because that's what they want.
I won't let people talk to me the way he did and if he does it publicly....the banning button is at my finger tips. I will NOT allow him to disrupt this forum.

Let me know if he bothers any of you guys and gals...I won't be reading anything he says. If he gets nasty...profanity is NOT allowed here. Especially his rather tasteless nasty way of delivering profanity.

He actually told me that he knows more than I do with just 6 months on cpap....than I do with 35 years in the medical field as a physician assistant and 11 years on cpap. Yep...that's what he said. Said everything I say is opinion with nothing to back it up.
Oh and yeah...I have to earn people's respect... :lol: :lol: Any of you guys and gals out there that know me think I haven't already earned your respect.???

If you guys and gals want to interact with Ralph/optimal sleeper...that is your right. If you see him give bad, inaccurate, incomplete or dangerous advice...go ahead and correct it please....it will save me from having to do it.

To the OP in this thread...my deepest apologies for my part in derailing your thread. It all started because optimalsleep told you to take a medication that was not going to help your congestion. Ibuprofen isn't for nasal issues....it's for pain or fever issues..and it's a potentially dangerous medication and he pooh poohed it of and not being dangerous.
He didn't fully explain the medication and it is the wrong medicine for your problem anyway. That's why he got corrected and why I pissed him off and it got your thread in a mess.

My suggestion....would you mind starting a new thread since this one has gone to hell and I will make sure your new thread stays on track.
This one is now so far gone short of my deleting almost everything here...it's gone to hell too far.

Thank you in advance for your understanding. Sometimes crap like this happens on forums. Again my apologies for my part in the derailment.

optimalsleep
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Nasal congestions  |  Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:44 am

I like to challange PEOPLE women and men who THINK they have all the answers.... and to be honest fail at their own contradictions.

I'm a pretty sick dude you... guess? Well if you are so right Dr Pugsy then you shouldn't guess.

Hopefully the Aircurve will make me less irritated at people like you...nice commentary that was easy to skim over and I know you spend alot of time blowing off your steam.

Quote:
.and I sure as hell am not going to interact with this person anywhere

but you will.... your ego will.

Quote:
My experience is every bit as valid as yours.

so if my experience is as valid as your then why are you so bent on discrediting me?

Quote:
He actually told me that he knows more than I do with just 6 months on cpap

I never said I know more.. you assume i think I do, becuase I challange you and PROVE you don't know as much as you think you know and that get s in your crawl. EVERBODY has an opinion.... yes Pugs even you.

Quote:
If you see him give bad, inaccurate, INCOMPLETE or dangerous advice

Quote:
So maybe it clears up some stuff I didn't.
She said on cpaptalk forum......

So yeah you don't know as much as you say you do........

from cpaptalk........forum

Quote:
RobySue's tutorial on Sleepyhead...she's better at composing than I am and she covered some stuff I haven't. It's over on the apneaboard.com. So maybe it clears up some stuff I didn't. I hate composition because I totally suck at it.

So things you write does confuse people.... sounds like it.

Maybe she needs to keep it simple... especially when people are new.

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Nasal congestions  |  Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:44 am

PAP Mask: F & P Vitera
PAP Machine: Airsense 10 Autoset
Pressure Setting: 12-20

Optimalsleep just like to see his name in print. He has no idea what he is talking about and often his advice is dangerous. One of these days he will be eliminated from this board like he has been on others.

optimalsleep
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Nasal congestions  |  Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:31 am

LSAT...... don't you have great grand kids to play with. You really aren't any help to me or anyone else for that matter

This Sleep apnea therapy isn't rocket science. KISS keep it simple stupid.

As far as being dangerous... this is a public forum with no restrictions by law. We are all adults here. IF people thart come here are on MULTIPLE meds...then it's there responsiblity to follow up. AND GUARANTEED their DR is..... and if they are not it's hard to believe they aren't. We're all groundups here aren't we?

Maybe this forum should be changed to freecpapbabytalk .com

optimalsleep
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Nasal congestions  |  Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:40 am

Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one..

Pugsy...

How many machines does one need? You are the first and only person I've seen to use multiple machines.........