Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Feeling like I can't breathe when it's warm
FAQ
It is currently Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:43 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

genie86333
Unread post  Post subject: Feeling like I can't breathe when it's warm  |  Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:03 pm

Hi!

So, I am a new Bipap user. Got pneumonia about 3 weeks ago and spent 9 days in the hospital. My first night in the ICU they woke me up in the middle of the night to tell me I had sleep apnea and they were putting me on bipap. I was fine with it there and even the first week and a half at home. However, last 2 days it has gotten warmer here. I don't have air conditioning in my apartment, but normally don't need it. However, I'm a mouth breather, so I am using a full-face mask and unless I turn the humidity level up all the way, my mouth gets so dry it's actually painful when I wake up. But, now that it's gotten warmer (and I'm only talking maybe 5-10 degrees warmer in the apartment at night...the 70's instead of the 60's, I can't keep the mask on more than an hour or two. Because breathing the slightly warmer air caused by the humidifier warming the water up, is making me feel like I can't breathe and I go into a panic. I remember feeling that way when I was a kid visiting my grandmother during the summer & she'd turn the AC off at night because she'd get cold....and I'd lay awake all night because it was like 98% humidity and I didn't even have a fan to move the air around. This is just like that and I literally wake up in a panic, ripping the mask off my face. I've never been one to have panic attacks, but I definitely know what they are now! I'm thinking of just living with the painfully dry mouth rather than using the humidifier because I know I won't be compliant at least during the summer months if I keep it as it is now, but of course that doesn't seem like a good option either. Any ideas that may help?

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Feeling like I can't breathe when it's warm  |  Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:21 pm

PAP Mask: F & P Vitera
PAP Machine: Airsense 10 Autoset
Pressure Setting: 12-20

Try these..they are available everywhere.
https://www.homesteadmarket.com/OraCoat ... d%20Market

genie86333
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Feeling like I can't breathe when it's warm  |  Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:01 pm

Oh wow, I had no clue something like that existed that you could safely use even while sleeping. Thank you!

genie86333
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Feeling like I can't breathe when it's warm  |  Posted: Sat May 30, 2020 10:33 am

Thank you. Definite improvement with the Xylimelts. Slept all night without waking up and my mouth was a bit dry, but not painfully so, but I only used one instead of the recommended two because i'm sensitive to Xylitol & didn't want stomach upset. I'll try two tonight & see if it is still tolerable that way.

Respirator99
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Feeling like I can't breathe when it's warm  |  Posted: Sun May 31, 2020 2:32 am

PAP Mask: Resmed Airtouch F20
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
Pressure Setting: Min EPAP: 8.0 Max EPAP: 11.0 PS Min: 3.0 PS Max: 8.0

One thing to be aware of is that xylotol is highly toxic for dogs.

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer- ... erous-dogs

* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* Organise your Oscar charts

genie86333
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Feeling like I can't breathe when it's warm  |  Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:19 pm

Yes, I'm aware of the toxicity to dogs. With my health problems, I decided to not get another dog when my last one died after 15 great years...I just don't have the energy anymore. Thanks.

And I'm glad to report that using two hasn't upset my stomach & has done the job for keeping my mouth moist. Thanks forthe help!