Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - How to disconnect from CPAP temporarily at night?
FAQ
It is currently Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:56 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

Lofreco
Unread post  Post subject: How to disconnect from CPAP temporarily at night?  |  Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:27 pm

PAP Mask: dreamwear nasal cushion
PAP Machine: resmed airsense 10 autoset
Humidifier: resmed internal
Pressure Setting: 11 cm

Newbie question. If I have to disconnect during the night to take my dogs out for 5 minutes, what is the best way to do this?

Do I just disconnect the hose from the mask, and leave the cpap machine running?

Or, do I turn off the machine, and turn it back on when I return in 5 minutes?

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: How to disconnect from CPAP temporarily at night?  |  Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:02 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

Do you sleep alone or with someone?
If you leave it running after disconnecting it makes a lot of noise and could disturb the other person's sleep.

You can leave it running but it is may register a large leak during that time or register a Breathing Not Detected (BND) time. So it might inflate your leak numbers which isn't the end of the world but can make the leak look worse than it really is.

If you use SmartStart (the Auto On and Auto Off) feature the machine will turn itself off after 10 seconds.

It doesn't hurt anything to let it run but it doesn't accomplish anything really letting it run.
I think most people either turn it off or let the SmartStart feature turn it off automatically.

I have always just turned it off. That way my reports are just cleaner and no chance of hubby's sleep being disturbed.