Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - New DreamStation - Wildly different AHI from session to sess
FAQ
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:06 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

Froggie
Unread post  Post subject: New DreamStation - Wildly different AHI from session to sess  |  Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:34 am

PAP Mask: Amara Gel Full Face Mask
PAP Machine: Philips DreamStation
Humidifier: DreamStation
Pressure Setting: 8-20

Hello. I'm new here. I was using a Philips Respironics System One for about 6 years. They just upgraded me to the DreamStation. I love all the new features and functionality. But I'm having some weird issues and I'm not really sure what is happening.

I was told I have mild sleep apnea way back when I had my sleep study. I used my auto-pap for years and just assumed all was good. I just got this new machine and I have been using the Dream Mapper app to track my AHI and see how my sleep is. The first few nights I was under 5. But then I got some surprising results. Some sessions above ten. I just got a 36 tonight. I had a one hour nap above 40. But I also had a string of days that were really low.

At first it was only happening for short naps. I'd have tons of apnea events during a 1 or 2 hour nap. Then I'd sleep at night and things seemed more reasonable. I also noticed that, on occassion, I was waking up with a lot more pressure than the System One ever gave me. I think I generally stay around 9 or 10. But I was getting above 11 a few times on the DreamStation. I had never felt pressures that intense before.

I got the OSCAR software and have been trying to interpret the data. I watched some videos. But I don't really know what I'm looking for. I'm wondering if I am getting tons of false positives because of a faulty new machine or if my sleep really is all over the place. I was thinking of sticking an SD card in my old machine and using it for a night to compare, but they are tracking my usage of the new machine and I'm worried they'll take it away if I don't use it. One night would probably be okay. I don't know.

I have a link to my SD card data. The first few nights are incomplete because I didn't have the SD card actively recording.

I don't know if anyone is able to look at it and see if they can interpret it better than me.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

I've also have a few screenshots if that is helpful as well.

https://imgur.com/a/AKXCX0d

One other thing to note: I also have narcolepsy and so my sleep schedule is erratic, to say the least. I often don't sleep more than 4 hours at night. And then I will sleep periodically during the day. So if my sessions seem to be at weird times, that's why.

Thank you for your help.

PS: It's telling me I can't post links yet. So you'll have to change the dots to actual periods.

Attachments:
0083-10-13-19.jpg
0083-10-13-19.jpg [ 238.57 KiB | Viewed 2191 times ]
Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New DreamStation - Wildly different AHI from session to   |  Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:09 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

I suspect the high AHI when taking a nap is because there is often a lot of SWJ or sleep/wake/junk flagged during naps because we aren't sound asleep when we take naps.

Awake/arousal breathing is much more erratic than our asleep breathing and the machine only measures air flow. It has no way of knowing if we are asleep or not.

Have you seen these videos...especially the last one?
http://freecpapadvice.com/sleepyhead-free-software

Please don't do snippets of the detailed report....do the whole thing in this format.
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1585 ... eview.html

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New DreamStation - Wildly different AHI from session to   |  Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:11 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

One night with the old machine isn't going to harm the compliance requirements for the new machine.

Froggie
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New DreamStation - Wildly different AHI from session to   |  Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:29 am

PAP Mask: Amara Gel Full Face Mask
PAP Machine: Philips DreamStation
Humidifier: DreamStation
Pressure Setting: 8-20

Okay, I took some new screenshots. As I said, I don't have a normal "night" of sleep. Usually it is a few hours at a time. On a good night I might get 4 hours. So I'm going to refer to "sessions" rather than nights.

I have attached a good and bad session. Plus some data from the DreamMapper app. I used photoshop to organize them a bit better. I tried to show an entire session and then I drilled down to an event so people can look a bit more closely. Hopefully that works.

I'm open to the possibility that I am having bad apnea, but I don't know why my old machine wasn't ever blasting me with 12 pressure. It was an auto pap too. And if I am having this many events, I feel like the pressure might shoot up towards 20. Or maybe that's not how it works. I dunno.

I'm just worried the DreamStation is faulty or detecting things incorrectly. If not, I guess I should go see the sleep doc.

Attachments:
bad-session.png
bad-session.png [ 608.42 KiB | Viewed 2185 times ]
good-session.png
good-session.png [ 345.21 KiB | Viewed 2185 times ]
dream-mapper.png
dream-mapper.png [ 129.26 KiB | Viewed 2185 times ]