Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - SD Card Question
FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:24 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

sheri105
Unread post  Post subject: SD Card Question  |  Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:10 am

PAP Mask: F&P Eson
PAP Machine: ResMed Airsense 10
Humidifier: Heated humidifier
Pressure Setting: 8

I am really happy to have found this site and all the wonderful videos that Jason posts. I am new to CPAP (on my second week) and I have a few questions.

I see a lot of posts about data cards. My machine did not come with a card and the tech that came to show me how to use the machine never mentioned one. I did not know about the card until I read info on the forum, so I am not even sure what it monitors. My machine does have a slot for one, but it is empty.

Is it normal to not have a card?
Is this something the Dr would have advised should/should not be needed?
Is it expected that I should just get my own and insert it?
If yes to the above, then I would need to know what type of card to purchase and how is it read?

Grateful for any advice that anyone can supply.

Thanks,
SLLNYC

Machine Type:Philips REMstar SE

Darkshader
Unread post  Post subject: Re: SD Card Question  |  Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:36 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed Mirage FX & Swift FX
PAP Machine: Philips Remstar System One Auto A-Flex
Humidifier: System One

Hey there, I'm new to CPAP myself. Been on the machine now for about a month now and never going back. :)

Regarding your question, I do believe that the SD card comes with them all, unless you buy one used, though I can't confirm this. I'm surprised your provider didn't mention it to you, who are you going through?

In my case, I had my sleep apnea diagnosed through Kaiser Permanente. When I finally went in for the CPAP Machine appointment, he explained the SD card to me, and that it could store years worth of data on it. It measures all kinds of things, from the lowest and highest pressures, to your averages, to air leaks in your mask. Very useful and important information.

My doctor specifically mentioned that he would pull out the SD card in a month or two to review all the data and adjust my machine accordingly (A Philips Respironics Remstar System One Auto) accordingly. Specifically he said he would raise the minimum pressure to my average lowpoint, and lower the highest pressure to my average highpoint to keep it in the range most helpful to you, rather than waste time on the fringes.

I would imagine your sleep physician is planning to do the same, but you should definitely look into it.

Worst case scenario, you can research how to interpret the data yourself and make such adjustments, but that seems like something your health provider should be doing for you...

Hope that helps!

Bronty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: SD Card Question  |  Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:14 pm

PAP Mask: Many - Mask Collector, Currently Phillips Nuance Pro
PAP Machine: Many - Machine Collector, Currently ResMed AirCurve 10
Humidifier: Built-In Humidifier with Heated Hose/SoClean2/HurricaneDryer/MaskBright
Pressure Setting: IPAP(min) = 13, EPAP(min) = 6, PS = 4 PS cm H20

Your profile indicates the Phillips RemStar SE. If that it correct, it will look like this...

http://www.healthcare.philips.com/pwc_h ... sSheet.pdf

If that is the case, then the unit that you were provided does not have the capability to record very much data (really only what they call compliance data which amounts to hours of use and the number of days that you used the machine > 4 years for insurance purposes).

I guess I am getting more and more cynical with respect to the DMEs. It seems like they always want to shortchange the consumer and it really gets to me.

The way it works in the US (and I see you are from NY like me), is that the home care provider (DME) gets the same amount of money from insurance regardless of what machine that they give you.

So... This is what usually happens, they give the patient the cheapest model (or whatever they have in stock they want to get rid of) that satisfies the request of the prescription.

Had the provided you a little better of a model (Phillips Respironics PRS1 60 Pro, for instance), you would have full waveform data that could let you have great insight (as well as your physician) to your sleep therapy.

This cost difference is often like $100.

As for the SD card, I could not tell whether or not Phillips includes one in the package or not. You can get an official Phillips (2GB SD Card) for like $10 or a generic one for like $2 (Just needs to be formatted FAT).

I would see if the DME can provide a data capable machine. It probably will take some sqwaking. I understand that the insurance company does not pay until the patient is not compliant (sleep 30 days > 4 hours), so I'd tell them I just can't use it because I need to see the data and not having data makes me too nervous to sleep!

Sorry for the rant, these DMEs are getting to me.

sheri105
Unread post  Post subject: Re: SD Card Question  |  Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:25 pm

Bronty,

Thanks for the info. This is the exact machine that I have. I am going to call my pulmonologist to follow up on his thoughts of a better machine. I would really like to have full data, especially on leakage. I am still struggling with the correct mask. I am switching between the F&P Eson nasal mask (which I got from the sleep study lab) and the ResMed Quatro full face mask that the DME brought me. I am having problems with mouth breathing and swallowing air, so I probably need the full face mask. I am not really loving the Quatro's fit or the feel of the air over that much of my facial area. Plus I get a lot of leakage from that mask. I wonder if it is the correct size! I would really like to keep using the nasal mask, but my mouth breathing seems to be getting worse. I hear that chin straps don't really work. Hopefully I can get to a better place without a lot of out of pocket expense. :D

Bronty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: SD Card Question  |  Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:51 pm

Humidifier: Built-In Humidifier with Heated Hose/SoClean2/HurricaneDryer/MaskBright

I was amazed that I was able to get used to the nasal mask. I was a huge mouth breather and have sinus problems. It took about a week for me.

kaiasgram
Unread post  Post subject: Re: SD Card Question  |  Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:46 pm

PAP Mask: Aloha nasal pillow w/ ResMed chinstrap
PAP Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto Bilevel
Humidifier: h5i humidifier

Hi sheri,

This page has a 7-minute video tutorial on your machine. If you want to double check what data your machine records, the video (last one on the page) will show you how to access the clinicial menu.

http://www.cpaplibrary.com/machines.html

If indeed your machine has no treatment data, I would speak right away with the pulmonologist. Ask him (or her) how he expects to evaluate the effectiveness of your treatment without any treatment data. The measure of therapeutic effectiveness is an AHI of less than 5. The SE machine does not even record AHI. You and your doctor are flying blind with respect to monitoring your treatment. How you feel is another way to assess how it's going but it is not the whole story. You also mentioned leaks and checking leak numbers can also be very important, especially if you are having problems and not feeling better.

Is there a modem attached to your machine? If not, and there's no SD card in the machine, the only way to do a compliance check for insurance purposes is to drag the machine to the DME or doctor's office so they can look at the hours on the machine. Ridiculous!

I'm suspicious about the missing SD card. Did they tell you it was a new machine when they gave it to you? I'd double check the blower hours -- this is not the same as therapy hours. Therapy hours can be reset to zero but blower hours (also called RUN hours on some machines) cannot. The video tutorial should show you how to find the blower hours.

You've only had the machine for a couple of weeks? I'd take it back to the DME and insist on a full data machine. In the Philips Respironics line, full data counterparts to your machine would be the 460 or 450 (460 is newer and has the heated hose option). An auto-adjusting CPAP (APAP) machine would also work, and those models would be the 560 and 550 (again, the 60 series machines are newer and have the heated hose option).

I hope this info helps. You might also want to do the math to see whether paying out-of-pocket for a good machine would cost you less than what you'd end up paying your DME over time for that SE ("brick") machine. One way or the other it would be in your best interest to start treatment with a full data machine. If the DME won't work with you, recruit your doctor to insist on a full data machine. Or consider whether purchasing a machine yourself would be a better way to go.

Good luck. :)

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: SD Card Question  |  Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:07 pm
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

sheri105 wrote:
I am not really loving the Quatro's fit or the feel of the air over that much of my facial area. Plus I get a lot of leakage from that mask. I wonder if it is the correct size!
Hello sheri,

You've already received a bunch of good advice about the machine and SD card. The Quattro should have the top part of the cushion rest comfortably on the low spot of the bridge of your nose( nasion). The bottom part of the cushion (the inside flap that comes in contact with your skin near your lips) should be 1/4 - 1/2 inch away from your bottom lip when your mouth is slightly open.

If you don't fall in this range, then the mask isn't a good fit for you.

Where is the mask leaking? Make sure that it's not too tight in those areas, nor too loose. If you have it snug, just try pulling the mask away from your face and then allow the mask to resettle on your face. This usually takes several attempts, but it works.

Usually when you have the feeling of air over your entire face, it's because of a mask leak and air is venting out of the sides. This allows for air flow. If it's sealed you won't get that feeling.

If you want to keep giving the nasal mask a shot, try the chinstrap. They do work for some people. Make sure your heated humidity is optimized. You may also want to give a double sided boil and bite mouthguard a try. Another option is to tape your mouth closed.

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

sheri105
Unread post  Post subject: Re: SD Card Question  |  Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:26 pm

Thanks Jason. (and everyone else) for the great advice. I just bought a mouthguard today, so will try it tonight. I am still shying away from the full face mask as I just can't get it to fit comfortably. Now I am struggling a little bit with soreness on the right side of my tongue, sore throat and minor discomfort in my tracheal area. This has been building for the last 3 days and I am not sure if it's related to the CPAP therapy. Sounds like symptoms of GERD, but I did not think I was suffering from that since starting therapy! Dry mouth and swallowing air have also been problems over the last week. Sorry if I am mixing up subject matter, but I am getting a bit frustrated with treatment.

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: SD Card Question  |  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:33 pm
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

sheri105 wrote:
I am getting a bit frustrated with treatment.
This is a rough spot that so many people need to get through. Stick with it as best you can. Give yourself some time to adjust. I don't know your age, but I'm guessing that you've spent more of your life sleeping without CPAP than with CPAP. You need time to adjust to it both physically and mentally. It's tough. Those that are able to get through it are glad that they did.

We've got your back!!! :)

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

Bronty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: SD Card Question  |  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:45 pm

I wish you the best of luck! Hang in there, it's totally worth it on so many levels.

judangel
Unread post  Post subject: Re: SD Card Question  |  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:38 pm

PAP Mask: nasal thingy.....sorry new here
PAP Machine: dreamstation

I'm a newby. I downloaded sleepy head and put my sd card in and there is almost no in formation on it. I've been using the dang thing for 3 weeks.I use a Phillips dream station....any advice is greatly appreciated.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: SD Card Question  |  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:53 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

judangel wrote:
I'm a newby. I downloaded sleepy head and put my sd card in and there is almost no in formation on it. I've been using the dang thing for 3 weeks.I use a Phillips dream station....any advice is greatly appreciated.

So which model DreamStation are you using?
Model number is on the bottom of the blower and starts with DSX.

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: SD Card Question  |  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:07 pm

PAP Mask: F & P Simplus
PAP Machine: Airsense 10 Autoset
Pressure Setting: 12-20

You might also check to see that your SD card is not locked. There is a little switch on the side.