Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Do you recommend that I buy an Oximeter ?
FAQ
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:27 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

dmypub
Unread post  Post subject: Do you recommend that I buy an Oximeter ?  |  Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:45 pm

PAP Mask: still testing - simplex right now
PAP Machine: respironics dreamstation
Humidifier: not aware of specifics - dreamstation humidifier
Pressure Setting: 10 - 14

Not sure I need an Oximeter. My AHI has dropped from 33 to around 7 - 8.

Caregiver is giving me an oximeter to get readings for one night.

Wondering if it is advisable to just buy one and monitor it several times
a week ?

thank you for any feedback !

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Do you recommend that I buy an Oximeter ?  |  Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:07 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

Most people don't.

I've got one, but I rarely use it, I bought it for more of a curiosity.

also, 7-8 on cpap is a pretty bad AHI. I'm not happy till it's under 2.

dmypub
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Do you recommend that I buy an Oximeter ?  |  Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:46 pm

I've been using cpap for about 2 months. Started at 33 AHI. It's now down around 7-8 AHI. Still screwing around with leaky masks, condensation, etc. Just went to the sleep center and was told by nurse that at this stage 7-8 AHI was GREAT. My original target was to get my AHI to under 5. Right now my air pressure is 10 -14 cm. I suppose that if I upped the air pressure I could get the AHI lower but so far I've just been following guidance from the provider. Though I am a bit of a skeptic and experts have to prove themselves to me. I complained about condensation in my tube and I was told to wrap socks around it. Socks ? WTF ? I just complained and told them they should have prescribed a heated tube. So yes, I am getting it, but that's the kind of back and forth dynamic I'm getting in our health care system such as it is.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Do you recommend that I buy an Oximeter ?  |  Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:30 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

dmypub wrote:
I've been using cpap for about 2 months. Started at 33 AHI. It's now down around 7-8 AHI. Still screwing around with leaky masks, condensation, etc. Just went to the sleep center and was told by nurse that at this stage 7-8 AHI was GREAT.

You were told wrong. (or maybe, nurse just has really low standards).

dmypub wrote:
My original target was to get my AHI to under 5.

5 is crap sleep, it's like being poked with a sharp stick every 12.5 minutes, all night long.
dmypub wrote:
Right now my air pressure is 10 -14 cm. I suppose that if I upped the air pressure I could get the AHI lower but so far I've just been following guidance from the provider. Though I am a bit of a skeptic and experts have to prove themselves to me. I complained about condensation in my tube and I was told to wrap socks around it. Socks ? WTF ?

Socks work. Water condenses on cooler surfaces, air in the room cools the tube, water condenses, insulate the tube, and you'll get less water condensation. Alternatively, buy or make a tube cover, they're readily available. or invest in an electrically heated tube, assuming your machine supports it (since you haven't filled out your profile yet, I don't know what you have.)
dmypub wrote:
I just complained and told them they should have prescribed a heated tube. So yes, I am getting it, but that's the kind of back and forth dynamic I'm getting in our health care system such as it is.

Tubes don't need a prescription, you can buy them on amazon, ebay, any online DME.

dmypub
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Do you recommend that I buy an Oximeter ?  |  Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:52 pm

I bought one of those tube covers - "snuggle skin". I also turned the humidifier down to level 2 (dreamstation). Tube started gurgling in the middle of the night, and cold water condensed inside my mask started dripping all over my face. argh. poured the tube out this morning - 1 tablespoon of water. So, not sure these tube covers work much for me.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Do you recommend that I buy an Oximeter ?  |  Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:46 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

The hose covers work great for some and not so great for others.
It all depends on how cold their bedroom is and the humidity setting.

You need the heated hose...trust me. Been down that road myself.