Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Re-assigning a ResMed unit to new patient
FAQ
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:24 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

avaholic
Unread post  Post subject: Re-assigning a ResMed unit to new patient  |  Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:30 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed AirTouch F20
PAP Machine: ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO
Humidifier: Humidair Heated Humidifier
Pressure Setting: PS 4, 9.8 - 16.4

Hello!

I purchased a ResMed VAUTO from Craiglist with only run 9 hours for an incredible price. I have been using it faithfully for over a month now and much prefer its therapy over the AUTOSET that I was originally prescribed.

I took the unit to a follow-up appt at the sleep doc and they attempted to read the SD card from the new machine. They said it is still 'tied to a former patient.' They said that the old DME would have to release the serial number from the old patient in order for this device to then be assigned to me.

I contacted the individual who sold it to me but they do not remember which DME they purchased it from. They also don't appear to want to help me in any way in getting the unit released from their recently deceased family member. While I do understand, its a bit disappointing and frustrating.

When I got the unit, I completely formatted the SD Card and reset the device before first use. Is that not enough? Have any of you experienced this before? Do you have any suggestions on how to get the unit properly assigned to me?

I have already assigned the VAUTO and its serial number on the ResMed site to my MyAir account. I receive (useless) texts everyday about my 'terrific therapy,' etc.

Is there another internal ResMed DB somewhere that needs to be changed as well?

The unit works perfectly and is giving me a great night's rest but my doctor is not going to be able to give me any support on it since its tied to this other individual.

Thanks!

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Re-assigning a ResMed unit to new patient  |  Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:26 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

The doctor/DME can't access the account the serial number is tied to so they can't get the data that way...but they can get the data off the SD card if they would just do it...the old fashioned way...SD card and ResScan.

Doctors and DMEs use a different ResMed website to see the data transmitted by the machine other than the MyAir stuff.

So your doctor can still support you and see your data...he just has to do a little more work than logging into their ResMed website account.
They can take your SD card and plug it in to ResScan and get everything (if not more) that way...if they would just do it.

Or you can take them copies of it all yourself....do the work for them.

FWIW ResMed knows who the DME is that the previous owner got it from....they can be contacted and asked to release the machine for reassignment. It's just a matter of getting someone to do it.

avaholic
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Re-assigning a ResMed unit to new patient  |  Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:09 pm

Thanks Pugsy!

I know it can be downloaded directly as I do it every morning into both SH and ResScan, LOL. They obviously don't do it that way; either don't know how or aren't willing to try. I could even set it up for them but I'm sure they wouldn't allow that. :)

"FWIW, ResMed knows who the DME is that the previous owner got it from....they can be contacted and asked to release the machine for reassignment. It's just a matter of getting someone to do it."
Is that something that my sleep doc can do? They've told me there was nothing that they can do. DOH. What should I tell them? Which department at ResMed handles these types of requests?

Also, my DME refuses to even touch it as it's 'company policy that they can't support a machine they didn't provide.'

Geez. Just support your patients already!

Thanks!

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Re-assigning a ResMed unit to new patient  |  Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:51 pm

I am sorry but I don't know exactly who at ResMed does what.
All I know is that people have been able to get a machine reassigned to them... it took their DME contacting someone at ResMed.
Your DME could do it...but it's obvious they won't touch it with a 10 ft pole.
They don't want to help you.

Just how badly do you feel the need for "support" from either of these yahoos? Are you having some sort of special problem where their input is critical to your care?

You can get and use ResScan and do your doctors work for them if you wish...it's not hard and it's free.
You could also give him a SleepyHead report but he wouldn't know what he is looking at...and if he doesn't understand a ResScan report...then you need a new doctor. No excuse for not understanding the brand name reports. This stuff isn't rocket science.

This DME....wouldn't ever get a dime from me or my insurance again.
I would go find someone else out of principle if no other reason.

I bought my machine privately some years ago...since then several machines all privately. I do have a DME that I use for masks and my once every 6 month mask allowance per my insurance. From the very first day I saw them and got my first mask...and they always have known I got my machine privately...they have always said..."if you have any problems with your machine...you know where we are". That's what a DME should do. Then he always chuckles and adds..."though I imagine you know more about some of this stuff than we do".

avaholic
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Re-assigning a ResMed unit to new patient  |  Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:18 am

It's not that I need their support on my therapy rather I'd like my sleep doc to change my script from an APAP to Bilevel. That way I can also get another unit that's paid for by my insurance company. I returned my originally prescribed AUTOSET because I am doing so much better with the VAUTO. The only way the doc will even consider changing the script is to see data from the unit I'm using. At my last appt with the doc, in addition the VAUTO itself, I brought my laptop to show them both the ResMed ResScan data and Sleepyhead data. They weren't even interested in looking at it. :(

So its the DME that has to initiate the reassignment request to ResMed; the sleep doc can't do anything?

My DME choices are very slim locally. I've heard horror stories about Apria so I'm not about to use them. Otherwise, it's Lincare (my current DME) or a Baptist Hospital affiliated one. I switched from Baptist originally (which I did like) to Lincare because Baptist couldn't get ResMed products as they only sell Philips.

It's always something...

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Re-assigning a ResMed unit to new patient  |  Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:56 am

I don't know if the doc can do anything about reassigning or not.
The people who have been on this forum and another that have got it done...never mentioned the doctor doing it.
Now the doctor can try TELL the DME that "you need to do so and so" and maybe he carries some weight there.

If you tried to show your doctor the ResScan data and he wouldn't even look at it....man...that's lazy or stupid..or both.
ResScan shows more than he can get from his fancy website that is tied to the serial number....even if it was released for reassignment.

AirView is what your doctor is wanting to use
https://www.resmed.com/us/en/healthcare ... ystem.html
Your MyAir stuff is a watered down version of what the doctor sees

He can get the exact same stuff off ResScan as he can get off AirView but it might be visually presented a little differently but the data is the data no matter what vehicle is used to show it...it's not going to change.
He's not even willing to try or look????? Piss poor doctor IMHO.
I got no patience at all for docs like that...and I have seen my share of the sort over the years (over 30 years in the medical field so lots of experience with all sorts of doctors).

I understand why you want him on board...need him to get insurance to step in to help pay for another machine. They ain't cheap.