Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Will a full face mask work with a beard?
FAQ
It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:43 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

Sytamra
Unread post  Post subject: Will a full face mask work with a beard?  |  Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:16 pm

PAP Mask: PR wisp and Resmed N20
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
Humidifier: Yes
Pressure Setting: 6

Not like santa's...but short. Like 3/8 inch. I'm having lots of problems with nasal masks and rarely get 4 hours of usage a nite.
Frustrated,

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Will a full face mask work with a beard?  |  Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:20 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

You won't get a good seal.. you might possibly get a "good enough"... maybe.

Sytamra
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Will a full face mask work with a beard?  |  Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:54 pm

Didn't want to hear that. after 2 months on cpap I'm finding out it is nothing for sissies!
I'm getting desperate to find a way to keep the mask on for a full night!

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Will a full face mask work with a beard?  |  Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:59 pm

Well, a good seal is silicone against skin, you're putting something there that holds the silicone away from the skin... *shrugs*

Sytamra
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Will a full face mask work with a beard?  |  Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:06 pm

Wasn't being critical of your response.....just tired of waking up to find the mask on the floor

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Will a full face mask work with a beard?  |  Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:11 pm

I keep suggesting superglue, but nobody has tried it yet.

However, taping the mask straps on has worked for many people.

Sytamra
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Will a full face mask work with a beard?  |  Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:23 pm

I will try that
Thanks!

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Will a full face mask work with a beard?  |  Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:03 pm

Just so it's clear, the tape isn't to keep the mask on your face, but to make it uncomfortable when you try removing the mask... so it'll wake you up enough that you can go 'oh, right, no, don't take that off". :)

BillyHW
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Will a full face mask work with a beard?  |  Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:39 am

PAP Mask: F&P Simplus
PAP Machine: Philips Dreamstation Auto
Pressure Setting: 12 to 20 cmH2O

The bridge of my nose causes me more trouble than my beard.

ShiftWorker
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Will a full face mask work with a beard?  |  Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:53 am

PAP Mask: ResMed Air Fit F20
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV
Humidifier: Integrated
Pressure Setting: 6/15/0/19/25

I have a full Santa's beard :lol: . I wear the ResMed F-20, I like the foam version but my supplier wont give that to me so I use the silly-cone cushion mostly with not much of an issue.
I use an ASV machine and my obstructive apnea's are controlled with relatively low pressures but when the centrals make my machine kick it up, I still don't notice any problems, after getting used to the pressure adjustment that is.
I will also be ridding myself of this rats nest at the beginning of next year, I just wanted to see what it was like with the big white beard, normally i wear a well trimmed chin beard and mustache, no longer then 3/8 inch and still have no trouble with this mask. :D
Rob.

AlanP
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Will a full face mask work with a beard?  |  Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:24 pm

According to Lefty's YouTube video, there should be no problem. I have a short beard like his, and I get terrible leakage readings. I couldn't use the nasal mask because of my mouth filling up with air - kept me from going to sleep. Full-face masks solved all mouth problems, but even after I've followed available advice, I still have high levels of leakage. The Apria rep said not to worry, that there might be micro-leaks through my beard, but I was still getting the benefit. I'm not sure. Anybody else have this problem?

aura0000
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Will a full face mask work with a beard?  |  Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:10 am

I have a full Santa's beard also. I figured that if I just tighten the straps that it would work fine and that is true, maybe, and you get use to the extra tightness. I have regular high leakage but I figure that it is due to my inability to find a mask that fits properly on my face. I am a veteran so the VA was useless but the sleep clinic was great but I don't know where to go to get a mask that fits my face except one tech at the sleep clinic who was great. Now I live in France so I don't have access to the VA any more. I am trying to deal with ISIS here and they appear to be pretty useless also.