Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Mask longevity
FAQ
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:30 pm

Click this Affiliate Link to Support FreeCPAPAdvice when buying from Amazon. Easiest way to support us!

Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

apetit886
Unread post  Post subject: Mask longevity  |  Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:33 am

PAP Mask: Dreamwear
PAP Machine: Dream station
Humidifier: Dream station
Pressure Setting: 8 cm h2o

How long do masks and tubes really last? My insurance company is sending me stuff every month and the machine is telling me to replace masks twice a month.
Replacing filters I can (literally) see, but I cannot see any wear on the mask or tube parts.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Mask longevity  |  Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:57 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

It's not the insurance company sending you anything.
It's the DME (equipment supplier) making use of the cash cow replacement allowance that the insurance companies are okay with.
Your insurance company says so and so can be replaced so and so often so the DME just ships it so it has an ongoing cash stream.

You probably signed up for auto ship...DME just sends stuff whether you need it or not...or want it or not because insurance will pay for it.

If you have Medicare....that's against Medicare rules. Auto shipping isn't allowed by Medicare.

Get yourself a spare of each item and then call up the DME and get off the Auto Ship thing and tell them you will call them when you need or want something.
Then request it when you feel something needs replacing.
Always have a spare of everything though...never know when something will break or tear.

Hoses will last years with common sense care.
Water chambers will last years with common sense care.
Mask parts that are hard plastic...will last years with common sense care.

Cushions or nasal pillows made of silicone...how long they last will depend on your own cleaning schedule and facial oils and stuff like that but typically months longer than what insurance will allow in terms of frequency of replacement.

I use a nasal pillow mask...Medicare allows 2 per month....I can make one pillow easily last 6 to 9 months and even then it might last longer but often gets trashed just for looking yucky more than anything else.
I have a heated hose with well over 10K hours of use on it and it got retired only because I changed machines and it no longer worked with the new machine.
My current hose...has nearly 4K hours of use on it.

Use common sense care and you won't need to replace anything very often.

Now filters...that depends on your house. I live in an old dusty farmhouse...but even then I can get by with changing the filter once a month instead of the allowed 2 per month.
FIlters don't need to be changed until they get dirty and it's really easy to spot when they get dirty.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Mask longevity  |  Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:25 am

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

Pugsy wrote:
It's not the insurance company sending you anything.
It's the DME (equipment supplier) making use of the cash cow replacement allowance that the insurance companies are okay with.
Your insurance company says so and so can be replaced so and so often so the DME just ships it so it has an ongoing cash stream.

I like to say that the insurance company (following medicare guidelines) says "we won't pay for x any more often than y"

Just like if you've got a rx for some kinda pills, with a years worth of refills, they won't pay for them all at once, they're like "nope! come back next week, you can't have any more pain pills yet, we don't care if you think you need them".

The greedy DMEs have seized on that minimum time between payments and said "well, let's tell everybody to throw away perfectly good stuff and buy more, so we make MOAR MONIES!!!!"

It's a ripoff.
Pugsy wrote:
Get yourself a spare of each item and then call up the DME and get off the Auto Ship thing and tell them you will call them when you need or want something.
Then request it when you feel something needs replacing.
Always have a spare of everything though...never know when something will break or tear.
Hoses will last years with common sense care.
Water chambers will last years with common sense care.
Mask parts that are hard plastic...will last years with common sense care.

Cushions or nasal pillows made of silicone...how long they last will depend on your own cleaning schedule and facial oils and stuff like that but typically months longer than what insurance will allow in terms of frequency of replacement.

I use a nasal pillow mask...Medicare allows 2 per month....I can make one pillow easily last 6 to 9 months and even then it might last longer but often gets trashed just for looking yucky more than anything else.
I have a heated hose with well over 10K hours of use on it and it got retired only because I changed machines and it no longer worked with the new machine.
My current hose...has nearly 4K hours of use on it.

Use common sense care and you won't need to replace anything very often.

Now filters...that depends on your house. I live in an old dusty farmhouse...but even then I can get by with changing the filter once a month instead of the allowed 2 per month.
FIlters don't need to be changed until they get dirty and it's really easy to spot when they get dirty.

absolutely golden advice.

apetit886
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Mask longevity  |  Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:30 pm

Thanks. That fits what I was thinking. I’ll just let the auto ship run for a while to build up stock.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Mask longevity  |  Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:22 pm

Unless you're getting stuff for *free* (with insurance) all you need is a couple of each thing... and stuff like filters can be had on amazon and ebay for 50cents each or less.

apetit886
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Mask longevity  |  Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:59 am

Fortunately my insurance is paying my DME to ship stuff to me at no out of pocket expense, so I will simply build a personal “stock pile” until they hit my pockets.

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Mask longevity  |  Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:26 am

PAP Mask: Simplus
PAP Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
Pressure Setting: 12-20

It isn't free...we are all paying for insurance one way or another..Why do you thing premiums are increasing. I had a friend that stockpiled...over a year he accumulated 6 mask cushions and then he changed masks...You see this stuff on Craigslist all the time.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Mask longevity  |  Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:20 pm

apetit886 wrote:
Fortunately my insurance is paying my DME to ship stuff to me at no out of pocket expense, so I will simply build a personal “stock pile” until they hit my pockets.

WASTE

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Mask longevity  |  Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:21 pm

LSAT wrote:
It isn't free...we are all paying for insurance one way or another...

Well, besides greedy wasteful people... even if they stopped, premiums wouldn't drop, after all, the CEO of the insurance company needs a new yacht.

Mrzocor
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Mask longevity  |  Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:03 pm

PAP Mask: Pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 autoset.
Humidifier: Aircurve

apetit886 wrote:
How long do masks and tubes really last? My insurance company is sending me stuff every month and the machine is telling me to replace masks twice a month.
Replacing filters I can (literally) see, but I cannot see any wear on the mask or tube parts.

What insurance do you have that sends you stuff every month? Medicare gives you a new mask every 6 months, and I get 2 new pillows a month. Nothing before that unless you want to pay for it. Your machine is telling you to replace masks twice a month? Strange!