Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Smaller machines for travel
FAQ
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:08 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

Pilotmaf
Unread post  Post subject: Smaller machines for travel  |  Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:02 pm

PAP Mask: Airfit N20
PAP Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Pressure Setting: 14-20

Can people that have used a smaller machine for travel weigh in on your thoughts and recommendations? I will not be in a camping situation so will not need a battery. Just something small to carry with me when I travel for business. I tried to search the forum but did not see anything.

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Smaller machines for travel  |  Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:11 pm

PAP Mask: Simplus
PAP Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
Pressure Setting: 12-20

Do you need a humidifier?

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Smaller machines for travel  |  Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:31 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Travel machines that are tiny....to get tiny they have to give up some stuff ...now what they give up to get tiny might not be important to you...but again it might be something critically importatnt.

They give up sound insulation inside the machien...so you get lowder blower noises.
You give up either all added moisture in most cases and in the ones with a little moisture added it's very minimal and attained by catching the moisture in your own exhaled breath and letting you breath some of that moisture back into your mouth.

So if a noisy machine might be a problem and not much if any added moisture might be a problem....you might not care for the results you get with a tiny machine.

Some will let you add a humidifier but if you do that you are pretty much back up to the regular sized machines by the time you add the humidifier on.

I need LOTS of added moisture...so I haven't bothered even thinking about getting a tiny machine....and the motor noise would drive me crazy...my sleep is already fragile enough.

Now if you are essentially deaf and on't use added moisture for whatever reason...tiny might work out great for you.

Pilotmaf
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Smaller machines for travel  |  Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:48 am

PAP Mask: Airfit N20
PAP Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Pressure Setting: 14-20

I'm totally new and don't know what I don't know about this. I use setting 5 for humidity on my machine. I don't think noise will bother me but have no idea how loud is loud. My Resmed sits right by my head and does not bother me.
I travel for work and don't look forward to traveling on the airline with the ResMed size machine. Looking for something I could put in my carry on bag. I know cpap does not count as a carry on but traveling with 3 items is a bit much to juggle.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Smaller machines for travel  |  Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:47 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Okay....one thing you can do to see how much you might actually need humidification...
Try your existing machine at home without adding any water...turn off the humidifier and let the chamber be empty.

Your nose will let you know if it is okay with that or not.
You might get an answer real quickly as to what your options might be.
My nose didn't like it...made me have horrible allergy like symptoms that made me miserable for 2 full days.
No way would I ever give up the moisture even if the tiny machine was totally silent.

And yes...I understand lugging around 3 bags is a PITA.
Would it be possible to find a way to fit the cpap into one of the other carry on bags so you don't have to carry so many?
Maybe find a smaller case to pack the cpap stuff in and stick it in one of the other bags.

FighterPilotSleepn
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Smaller machines for travel  |  Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:39 pm

I just used my Airmini for the first time. I love the machine because I can do wo humidification occasionally. I feel duped that my f20 cannot use the humidx tablets! Also why in the world is the diffuser different and so noisy on the AirMini F 20! I just purchased the aftermarket adapter to use my slimline tubing and the normal quite f20 diffuser made for the airsense 10. Any ideas why the Airmini is different for the F20 when it doesn't use the humidx tablets! I can deal with extra noise but I'm not used to the noise right in front of my face. Hmmmm

SleepyLaBeef
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Smaller machines for travel  |  Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:15 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit F20
PAP Machine: ResMed AirMini
Pressure Setting: 4-20

Quote:
I feel duped that my f20 cannot use the humidx tablets!

Same here. What adapter did you buy?

cavi
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Smaller machines for travel  |  Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:43 pm

I have the HDM Z1 auto, and it has a small thing inline with the hose that you wet and it gives humidity at least till it dries, but the unit is soo small and portable. I love it. you can even get a battery packfor it!!! Best of all I got it for cheap from a shop that sell reman stuff!!!

PaulyofPA
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Smaller machines for travel  |  Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:05 am

PAP Mask: dreamwear nasal
PAP Machine: Dream station
Humidifier: Dream station heated W heated hose
Pressure Setting: 10

I bought a Z1 from Cheapcpapsupp.... recently and used it for 8 nights in Europe. had the little inline humidity thing in it. It worked great for me. yes it is a little louder, but was acceptable. I travel with only a carry-on bag so this was perfect for me. it comes with a ft hose. I used a 6 foot, but felt Like I could have used the 4' just fine. Don't need the battery, but it's a nice option if you feel the need for it, or plan on using it on the plane. Unit with the power supply, hose and mask fit in a small bag that comes with it and didn't take up much space. total weighed about 1.6 pounds. side note: had the dr give me another Rx for this machine and he prescribed auto cpap. my home machine is just set cpap at 10. gave it a night at home before travel and didn't like it. found instructions online and was able to change the settings from apap to cpap and change the ramp settings as well... 30 mins way too long for me.

utexplore
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Smaller machines for travel  |  Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:08 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed Airfit F20
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto and ResMed AirMini
Humidifier: AirCurve built in; None in AirMini
Pressure Setting: Airmini max 11; AirCurve ??

I just received my AirMini about 10 days ago. I believe ResMed redesigned the mask connection to make it 89% more quiet. My wife says it is more quiet than my Aircurve 10 VAuto. I bought the Airfit F20 mask as you must use one of the four ResMed masks that work with the AirMini. No humidification on the F20. I use humidification on the AirCurve 10 set on Auto. I have not missed humidification AT ALL with the Airmini. I also purchased the Medistrom Pilot 24 battery pack so I can use it on Red-Eye flights. I love the AirMini. Right now, I am getting better AHI results (>3) and better quality sleep with the AirMini than I do with my big machine. I am trying to adjust my big machine to be more like the AirMini. YMMV

Daniel Gagner
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Smaller machines for travel  |  Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:13 pm

PAP Mask: Respironics Dreamwear nasal
PAP Machine: Respironics Dreamstation 500
Humidifier: respironics
Pressure Setting: 9=13

I have the respironics dreamstation and dreamwear mask. I have the humidifier. When I travel I sometime remove the humidifier tank and the unit is about the size of a thick paper back book, approx. 6"x6"x2" thick. But I often just bring the whole thing. A cpap machine just isn't that big either way and they're light so it doesn't seem like an issue for me.

I also have a 12 volt adapter for when I'm in our camper.

Shirley
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Smaller machines for travel  |  Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:16 am

PAP Mask: nasal pillows
PAP Machine: Resmed P10
Humidifier: yes
Pressure Setting: 10/17

I just bought the resmed mini, battery and solar panel for a 30 day trip overseas. Worked great and the humidity puck worked well, I did not even notice a difference.

One issue was that I always use a XS nasal pillow mask when with the mini, I should have brought a small. The pillows seemed a bit on the small side and I had to adjust it during the night to get fix the flow.

becksteroh
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Smaller machines for travel  |  Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:53 am

PAP Mask: Swift FX Nano Nasal, Nuance Pro Gel NP, Philips Wisp Nasal
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 autoset
Pressure Setting: 4-11 CM

I purchased a side cover for my airsense 10 autoset and an inline HME filter. This way I don't have to take my water chamber with me on my trips or hunt for distilled water. You do have to turn off your humidifier controls on your machine though. The HME filters are also a good option when your power goes out and you are on battery power.

halfdimes
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Smaller machines for travel  |  Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:09 pm

PAP Mask: DreamWear Mask with Headgear
PAP Machine: Dreamstation Auto PAP
Humidifier: Dreamstation humidifier
Pressure Setting: 5-9.5

Old thread, but probably the place to ask this question. I'm zeroing in on a Transend 3 machine for travel. There's a price incentive being offered this month by the manufacturer. Only real concern I have is the noise level. As I mentioned on another thread I've determined I can get by without a humidifier. But when I operate my Dreamstation without the humidifier attached, the noise from air movement is much more noticeable.
My question to those on this forum, is there anyone with direct experience with the Transend 3 that can comment on the noise level, either from the machine itself or air movement?
Thanks.

SkinnyFemale
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Smaller machines for travel  |  Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:51 pm

PAP Mask: Dreamwear Nasal Cushion
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Auto
Pressure Setting: Currently pressure 7 to 12

Any thoughts on a kind/size battery pack you would need for the airsense 10? We recently vacationed on the beach in a rented trailer, but could only run a generator certain hours of the day. Wonderful place but I went all week without cpap and it was not good for me now that I have adjusted to it.