Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Smaller machines for travel
FAQ
It is currently Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:12 am

Click this Affiliate Link to Support FreeCPAPAdvice when buying from Amazon. Easiest way to support us!

Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Pilotmaf
Unread post  Post subject: Smaller machines for travel  |  Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:02 pm

PAP Mask: Airfit N20
PAP Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Pressure Setting: 14-20

Can people that have used a smaller machine for travel weigh in on your thoughts and recommendations? I will not be in a camping situation so will not need a battery. Just something small to carry with me when I travel for business. I tried to search the forum but did not see anything.

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Smaller machines for travel  |  Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:11 pm

PAP Mask: Simplus
PAP Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
Pressure Setting: 12-20

Do you need a humidifier?

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Smaller machines for travel  |  Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:31 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Travel machines that are tiny....to get tiny they have to give up some stuff ...now what they give up to get tiny might not be important to you...but again it might be something critically importatnt.

They give up sound insulation inside the machien...so you get lowder blower noises.
You give up either all added moisture in most cases and in the ones with a little moisture added it's very minimal and attained by catching the moisture in your own exhaled breath and letting you breath some of that moisture back into your mouth.

So if a noisy machine might be a problem and not much if any added moisture might be a problem....you might not care for the results you get with a tiny machine.

Some will let you add a humidifier but if you do that you are pretty much back up to the regular sized machines by the time you add the humidifier on.

I need LOTS of added moisture...so I haven't bothered even thinking about getting a tiny machine....and the motor noise would drive me crazy...my sleep is already fragile enough.

Now if you are essentially deaf and on't use added moisture for whatever reason...tiny might work out great for you.

Pilotmaf
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Smaller machines for travel  |  Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:48 am

PAP Mask: Airfit N20
PAP Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Pressure Setting: 14-20

I'm totally new and don't know what I don't know about this. I use setting 5 for humidity on my machine. I don't think noise will bother me but have no idea how loud is loud. My Resmed sits right by my head and does not bother me.
I travel for work and don't look forward to traveling on the airline with the ResMed size machine. Looking for something I could put in my carry on bag. I know cpap does not count as a carry on but traveling with 3 items is a bit much to juggle.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Smaller machines for travel  |  Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:47 am

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Okay....one thing you can do to see how much you might actually need humidification...
Try your existing machine at home without adding any water...turn off the humidifier and let the chamber be empty.

Your nose will let you know if it is okay with that or not.
You might get an answer real quickly as to what your options might be.
My nose didn't like it...made me have horrible allergy like symptoms that made me miserable for 2 full days.
No way would I ever give up the moisture even if the tiny machine was totally silent.

And yes...I understand lugging around 3 bags is a PITA.
Would it be possible to find a way to fit the cpap into one of the other carry on bags so you don't have to carry so many?
Maybe find a smaller case to pack the cpap stuff in and stick it in one of the other bags.

FighterPilotSleepn
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Smaller machines for travel  |  Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:39 pm

I just used my Airmini for the first time. I love the machine because I can do wo humidification occasionally. I feel duped that my f20 cannot use the humidx tablets! Also why in the world is the diffuser different and so noisy on the AirMini F 20! I just purchased the aftermarket adapter to use my slimline tubing and the normal quite f20 diffuser made for the airsense 10. Any ideas why the Airmini is different for the F20 when it doesn't use the humidx tablets! I can deal with extra noise but I'm not used to the noise right in front of my face. Hmmmm

SleepyLaBeef
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Smaller machines for travel  |  Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:15 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit F20
PAP Machine: ResMed AirMini
Pressure Setting: 4-20

Quote:
I feel duped that my f20 cannot use the humidx tablets!

Same here. What adapter did you buy?