Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - new user, new test
FAQ
It is currently Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:04 am

Click this Affiliate Link to Support FreeCPAPAdvice when buying from Amazon. Easiest way to support us!

Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

bf54
Unread post  Post subject: new user, new test  |  Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:26 am

PAP Mask: ResMed Airfit F20 (medium)
PAP Machine: ResMed Aircurve S (Ref 37046)
Humidifier: yes
Pressure Setting: 22 / 17 BiLevel

I had a sleep test a couple of weeks ago, and follow up last week.
This is the 2nd go-round for me. I had a test 9 years ago and was provided a cpap with pressure of 12. I was not compliant - I couldn't get through an entire night without tearing the mask off. I hope I can do better this time, as being tired constantly is definitely affecting me.

This test results were an AHI of 90 without CPAP (I can provide other details from the report if needed). This was a combo test - sleep and titration the same night. They didn't get good results with CPAP, and after about 3 hours they switched to BPAP, settling on a pressure of 21/17. They tested at that pressure for nearly 2 hours and the AHI was reduced to 0.6.

The sleep center is prescribing a ResMed AirCurve 10 BPAP. I asked about using a pillow mask, but at that pressure they didn't think that's a good idea, and recommended I start with the mask they used during the test, so they've asked the DME to provide a ResMed Airfit F20, or AirTouch F20.

What is the general opinion about using a pillow cushion mask at that pressure?

TIA - Bill

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: new user, new test  |  Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:50 am

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

BiPap is a marketing term for Respironics bilevel machines.
ResMed calls their bilevel machines AirCurve ...
So there is no machine called an AirCurve 10 BiPap.

The old wives tale that you can't use nasal pillow with high pressures ...is just an old wives tale promoted by people who probably don't/haven't ever even used cpap/apap/bipap and any pressure.

I have used a machine where I often saw pressures over 20...and I use nasal pillows without any problems.
I know people using over 20 cm all the time and using nasal pillows without a problem.
Contrary to what some people might think...they won't go flying across the room like a popped balloon.

Higher pressures will present extra challenges with any mask in terms of maintaining a good seal but actually the least amount of mask surface touching the skin ...the easier to maintain a seal...and full face masks at higher pressures mean a lot more mask touching a lot more skin and more problems maintaining the seal.

If you want to try nasal pillows...try them. Lots of people are quite successful with them at some really high pressures.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: new user, new test  |  Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:18 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

bf54 wrote:
The sleep center is prescribing a ResMed AirCurve 10 BPAP.

A Resmed AirCurve 10 what?

There are five wholly different AirCurve 10 machines:

http://www.cpaptalk.com/wiki/index.php/CPAP_models

bf54
Unread post  Post subject: Re: new user, new test  |  Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:17 pm

I got the machine yesterday - it's a Aircurve S (Ref 37046). I had quite a bit of trouble last night with mask leaking - I had to pull the mask very tight to get it to stop.

I have some questions about the SD Card. Is it appropriate to ask here, or should I start a new thread?

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: new user, new test  |  Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:34 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

Keep all your stuff together, it makes it easier to look back to what you've said before. What's the question?

bf54
Unread post  Post subject: Re: new user, new test  |  Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:33 pm

I think I've resolved the SD question. The tech told me their company doesn't use a card because of the modem so I thought I'd need to buy one. When I got it home I found there was a SD card installed - it is a ResMed branded card. The card wasn't recognized by my computer. I hadn't used the SD card reader in my computer in years, so I wasn't sure if there was a problem with the card or my computer. I found a 16 GB micro SD card and adapter which is recognized by my. I reformatted it as Fat32, then loaded it into the AirCurve, which recognized it and very briefly flashed a message (I didn't take a note of the exact message). I downloaded and installed SleepyHead and it immediately recognized the card and showed me a nice graph (which I still need to learn how to interpret). 16GB is probably overkill, but it's working so I don't see a reason not to use it. I don't know what to do with the card that came with the unit, as it's still not recognized by my computer.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: new user, new test  |  Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:29 am

bf54 wrote:
I don't know what to do with the card that came with the unit, as it's still not recognized by my computer.

There's no telling....my first suspect would be simply a bad card even though it was new.
I have a ResMed branded SD card that came with one of my machines and it works fine...and I have used it with multiple brand machines as well as multiple models of machines.
Those Resmed branded SD cards...nothing more than generic cheap SD cards with a Resmed postage stamp stuck on them.

16 GB is over kill in terms of capacity needed but the old 1 or 2 GB cards that used to be supplied with these machines (because that's all that is needed because data gets overwritten after 365 days) are next to impossible to find and sure not cheap when you do find them.
Hurts nothing to use a large capacity card though.

bf54
Unread post  Post subject: Re: new user, new test  |  Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:47 pm

Pugsy wrote:
my first suspect would be simply a bad card even though it was new.

I agree - I don't know if it's worth asking for a replacement under warranty. There is a sleeve for the card in the paperwork I was given, so it's obvious that the card was installed by someone (probably at the DME), but the person who demo'd the machine to me said they don't use them or install them. She seemed kind of clueless about a number of other features of the Aircurve S. For instance, she said it doesn't have an auto start feature, or auto ramp (I've seen this described as the machine stops the ramp and goes to full pressure if/when it detects I'm asleep). I've found other articles that say these features exist on the AirSense. I also found an article describing how to get into admin mode on the AirSense. I assume it's probably the same procedure on the AirCurve, but I haven't tried.

Speaking of AirCurve vs AirSense - am I correct in deducing that the main difference is the AirCurve supports a larger delta between inhalation / exhalation pressure?

Bill

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: new user, new test  |  Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:14 pm

Yes....main difference is the larger potential difference between inhale and exhale.
With the AirSense models the most you can get is EPR of 3...so 3 cm difference.
Also the AirSense machines are limited to a maximum pressure of 20 cm...the AirCurve 10 will go to 25.
The expanded difference between inhale and exhale can be a huge comfort factor for some people.
I have used both the AirSense with EPR of 3 and bilevel models with the difference (called pressure support) of 3..4...5 and even gave 6 a brief trial. I didn't care for 6 but up to 5 I rather liked it.

As for the quirky SD card...you know it might not have even been a new card but some old card laying around that got put in that sleeve.
Even if you got them to swap it out you might not get a brand new card.
I would let it go and be happy with one you got that you know is trouble free. They aren't that expensive.

And yeah, kind of scary that the people dispensing the machines don't really have any idea what the machines will do.
And yes...same procedure to get into the setup menu with all ResMed machines.